Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

That isn’t my job, that why we pay a lot of money to a recruitment team. Do you seriously, in your heart, believe that Callum Wilson is the best we could get?  We have money for both fee and wages, we play in the premier league, we just don’t have a great reputation at the moment apart from our history but I seriously think there are better quality strikers out there than Callum Wilson that would come to the Villa and it’s our recruitment teams job to find them. I hope they do. 

The honest answer is I dont know. We avoided relegation on the last day of the season with a manager that is still learning at this level and our best player is being linked almost daily with a move away from the club. We also dont know what wages we are offering and what money we have to spend. Neither does any other villa fan. Have we actually bid for Wilson?

I think there might be a lot of fans disappointed when the window shuts as this window will be solid but not spectacular.

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Can’t you ask your nephew?

I have to be careful, his time is valuable and he gets angry if I interrupt him too often especially as he’s just got his new battle pass on Fortnite.

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think there might be a lot of fans disappointed when the window shuts as this window will be solid but not spectacular.

I don’t think people mind a solid window but some of the links wouldn’t make it solid it would be wasteful spending.

• Like 1

If we land both Wilson and Watkins, our striking options will be much better than last season and will also allow for Wesley to recover properly without rushing him back too soon.

I’d imagine we’ll offload Davis (and maybe Samatta) if it happens too

having Wilson, Watkins, Wesley and Samatta to pick from is better than Wesley, Samatta, Davis and Vassilev 

we created many chances last season but never had an inform striker to take them (just when Wesley came into form he got Ben Mee’d :( )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, because they're all shit.

It's easy not to sign shit players.

Do that and we'll either be able to use them or teams will be banging down the door trying to give us money for them.

Apart from a handful of freakish exceptions like Ali Dia and Aleksandar Tonev, there are no 'shit players' in the Premier League. It shouldn't come as a surprise that people are not being given an average annual wage or more every week because they are 'shit'. And it would still be the case that if it was somehow possible to rank every footballer in the world by 'least shitness', and every Premier League team between them bought the 500 least shit football players, 10 teams would still finish in the bottom half and three would be relegated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If we land both Wilson and Watkins, our striking options will be much better than last season and will also allow for Wesley to recover properly without rushing him back too soon.

I’d imagine we’ll offload Davis (and maybe Samatta) if it happens too

having Wilson, Watkins, Wesley and Samatta to pick from is better than Wesley, Samatta, Davis and Vassilev 

we created many chances last season but never had an inform striker to take them (just when Wesley came into form he got Ben Mee’d :( )

Vassilev isn't a striker??

Why do a load of people think hes a striker?

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Vassilev isn't a striker??

Why do a load of people think hes a striker?

We all know he’s not a striker but he was deployed as a striker several times because there was no one else. he’s never been selected to play as a winger or AM. 

bringing in reinforcements will allow us to use Vassilev in his preferred position.

Just now, mykeyb said:

Links are one thing, signings is what we should judge the club on.

I agree but today’s first signing has taken a while so we’ve had 6 weeks of only links with the season starting in just over a week.  Just makes things a little nervous.  Plus once we’ve signed somebody I get behind them (mostly) but I have opinion before we sign somebody.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

And Watkins can definitely play wide as well as up front - I think Wesley probably can as well - so while they would all be competing for the ‘number 9 shirt’ as sole striker, that would give us more flexibility across the front three. Might also explain (if it’s happening) why we don’t seem to be chasing any new wingers. 

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, because they're all shit.

It's easy not to sign shit players.

Do that and we'll either be able to use them or teams will be banging down the door trying to give us money for them.

Come on now Tom, Hogan wasn't s*** when we signed him but SB was too lazy to actually watch how he'd scored the 20 + goals at Brentford and just hit long balls up to him and so his confidence massively dropped quickly. And Kodj was very effective in 16/17. We were a mid table championship side when we signed both.

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, Morkery said:

He wouldn't be my choice, but if he scores even twelve goals, we probably stay up -  so would justify fee/wages.

His ratio last season in the league was a goal every five games. He scored 7 in 35. So he'll need to step up his level to get from 7 up to 12.

So his ratio is about the same as Wesley's, who scored 5 goals in about 20 league games. The trouble with Wesley last season was when he had that horrible run of ten league games in a row without scoring, let's hope that doesn't reoccur with our main striker next season !

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

And Watkins can definitely play wide as well as up front - I think Wesley probably can as well - so while they would all be competing for the ‘number 9 shirt’ as sole striker, that would give us more flexibility across the front three. Might also explain (if it’s happening) why we don’t seem to be chasing any new wingers. 

I think you are right. Cash signing supports idea of 2 raiding modern full backs so could have 3 mobile strikers up front. All 3 seem happy to press and run channels so could work.

24 minutes ago, robby b said:

His ratio last season in the league was a goal every five games. He scored 7 in 35. So he'll need to step up his level to get from 7 up to 12.

So his ratio is about the same as Wesley's, who scored 5 goals in about 20 league games. The trouble with Wesley last season was when he had that horrible run of ten league games in a row without scoring, let's hope that doesn't reoccur with our main striker next season !

Wesley stats are further skewed because he got 2 against Norwich reserves.

I think we need to realise that Wesley was a massively overpriced poor player - who has never scored goals in any great number anywhere in his career.

Onto CW he'd be an upgrade on Wesley - but I think the whole thing is being used as leverage to get Watkins.