Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

14 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ive warmed massively to the wilson deal. Lead the line in a shite b'muff team for 4 or 5 years when they had some decent PL finishes

Are you telling me you'd be happy with Wesley or another Villa striker scoring 8 goals in 35 games like Wilson got last season?

That's beside he's 28, has injury history and wants big wages

The more I read the more I think I seriously must know nothing about football to be really excited about this signing.  I obviously haven’t watched every Bournemouth game but whenever I have seen them this guy has been a threat.

As it goes I think I will end up disappointed anyway. 

• Like 2

I guess signing Wilson makes a lot of sense, but it just doesn't excite me that much. It feels like it's the kind of signing that will consolidate our status as a lower half PL team. He will make us better and give us more depth, but I'm not sure of how much of an upgrade on Samatta he is, they seem to be similar type of players. I would have hoped that we were in for players like Edouard, players at £30M+ that would make us dream of becoming a top half PL team this season.

Who is the better player by the way, Callum Wilson or Joshua King? I have big difficulties knowing who is who when I've seen them play, 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I guess signing Wilson makes a lot of sense, but it just doesn't excite me that much. It feels like it's the kind of signing that will consolidate our status as a lower half PL team. He will make us better and give us more depth, but I'm not sure of how much of an upgrade on Samatta he is, they seem to be similar type of players. I would have hoped that we were in for players like Edouard, players at £30M+ that would make us dream of becoming a top half PL team this season.

Who is the better player by the way, Callum Wilson or Joshua King? I have big difficulties knowing who is who when I've seen them play, 

King needs penalties to score goals. Both rubbish signings unless cheap and not on stupid wages. This is like **** groundhog day people wanting to go back to old ways with stupid signings

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

A fit and firing Wilson in a new team with something to prove would be a welcome addition. If we sign Watkins and him, I’m happy that we’ll be stronger up front than last season.

I think it's imperative that we also sign one or two really good creative wingers/wide forwards, I'm not sure Wilson and Watkins would score that many more goals if we don't add more players who can create chances. I'd like both Benrahma and Buendia. And preferably a good box to box midfielder as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it's imperative that we also sign one or two really good creative wingers/wide forwards, I'm not sure Wilson and Watkins would score that many more goals if we don't add more players who can create chances. I'd like both Benrahma and Buendia. And preferably a good box to box midfielder as well. 

That's +100 million already not including Cash transfer

It’s weird because last summer i would have taken C.Wilson for £35mill last summer, yet a year later @ half the price I’m now unsure.

On one hand he is in his way down, he is in his prime and Look at last season. Yes, Bournemouth were shite but he was also poor and could have performed better. 

However, I would feel more confident starting with Wilson upfront rather than Samatta & Davis and for less than £20mill there are riskier & worse deals to be done... 

It’s almost got to the point I just want players to sign regardless of my personal preference & opinions as they mean jack sH1t.. What will be will be. 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ive warmed massively to the wilson deal. Lead the line in a shite b'muff team for 4 or 5 years when they had some decent PL finishes

And yet Bournemouth took 6 points off us last season... we have such a poor squad and if not for Jack (over the course of the season & our defensive solidity after lockdown) we would have been down... quite amazing we stayed up and on such a low points tally too. We can’t go through such a situation again & we have a genuine opportunity to do something about it.

Massive improvement required and the signings will determine how much ambition we have and what we are capable of achieving... firstly we need to reduce the dependence on Jack for pretty much the entirety of our attacking and creative play by adding a few who could share the load and cover for his absence (injuries) so it wouldn’t impact and affect us so massively and negatively. Atm, we really are hopeless without him and that’s quite shameful, especially at this level. He needs some reason for optimism too...

Personally, I would much prefer us to go for exciting, younger players on the way up with the potential to be genuine stars and to become part of a strong & improving team for the long term (let’s build this team and make it a force!). 

Our squad has at least one season of PL experience now, we need to add quality more than anything else.

A strong and even experienced CM would help us out though as we seem lightweight in midfield at times...

Obviously, the majority of us fans will get behind any players that come in but in my opinion (and everyone is entitled to their own of course & we can agree to disagree) we would do well to avoid short term signings on older and more expensive (wages) players and not just limit our scope to the English leagues. 

Just want us to do as well and progress as much as possible...

UTV

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Enda said:

We survived a relegation battle by one point but now you’re a bad fan if you’re not expect Champions League within a year.

Never change, VillaTalk.

No one said that and it’s a huge exaggeration.

Everyone just has different views and different opinions on what approach we can and should make.

Ultimately, we all want this club to succeed.

• Like 2

Yep. If Watkins is as good as majority seem to think he'll be he should be scoring 10 +. I'd like to think we aren't signing him for 20m + just for him to score 5-6 goals especially with Grealish on the supply line.

And Wilson's record at Bournemouth suggests he'll get around 10 aswell if he plays 30 games.

So 20 goals from the main two strikers which is miles better than what we had last season. And we know the midfield will chip in throughout the season with goals so that should come to around 40 goals.

Main barometer for me is would any new striker we sign finish off the chance Davis had v Arsenal. That miss could've easily relegated us if the Arsenal header two minutes later had hit the post and gone in.

I'd certainly back Wilson to score that type of chance.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Main barometer for me is would any new striker we sign finish off the chance Davis had v Arsenal. That miss could've easily relegated us if the Arsenal header two minutes later had hit the post and gone in.

On that one I just want to be fair to Davis (assuming we mean the same chance where he muscled off the defender then dragged it wide) that I don’t think many strikers would even have got in the position. It was superb movement and strength. But... until he starts putting the ball in the net, that doesn’t matter!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

On that one I just want to be fair to Davis (assuming we mean the same chance where he muscled off the defender then dragged it wide) that I don’t think many strikers would even have got in the position. It was superb movement and strength. But... until he starts putting the ball in the net, that doesn’t matter!

Yes he did well to hold off Rob Holding but ultimately it's a chance any striker wanting a career in premier league simply has to finish. Was yet another nearly finish from Kienan.

Think a point people are underestimating with the new strikers we're bringing in is they'll have Jack Grealish supplying them. That Arsenal chance was a case in point, Jack took the ball in his own half, breezed past some Arsenal challenges and slotted in an inch perfect defence splitting through ball. If Wilson thought Brooks at Bournemouth was good then he ain't seen nothing yet particularly as Grealish will have a real point to prove this season with the whole England fiasco.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He was brilliant until the finish. It’s all confidence issues for Davis in my opinion, comes across as big shy awkward type.