Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you look at minutes per goal, last season is actually his only below average one. Assuming we know what an average PL striker looks like (and I'm not sure we do judging by this thread, tbh)

19/20 - 365

18/19 - 182

17/18 - 250

16/17 - 230

15/16 - 153

His shots per 90 number was way down last season, at 1.64 vs 2.30 the season before and 2.42 the one before that. Which would probably explain the lower output. How much of that is down to him, and how much the supply? 

Thats a double edged sword though, you have to ask why is he playing less games than the average PL striker?

loss of form, injuries? 

btw what formula did you use for 15/16 as youre suggesting goal every 1.5 games.. 5 in 13 is closer to 2.5 

• Like 1

Just now, Junxs said:

Thats a double edged sword though, you have to ask why is he playing less games than the average PL striker?

loss of form, injuries? 

btw what formula did you use for 15/16 as youre suggesting goal every 1.5 games.. 5 in 13 is closer to 2.5 

Is he playing less games than the average PL striker? I know he had injury problems a few years back, hence the lack of appearances. I don't know how often the average PL striker plays. 

I'm using goals per minute, not appearances. 13 appearances doesn't mean he played 13 full games.

You can find the numbers here - https://understat.com/player/468

I have absolutely no issue with us signing Wilson, as it’s still an upgrade on our current fit strikers.  If we can bring in another forward and then a wide forward/winger, I’m pretty happy going into the new season.   

I don’t particularly care about costs either. It’s not my money, but I wouldn’t want us to roll over and pay any sum a club demands, which is why I think transfers take a little longer than most of us would like.

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He played 32 full games last season and averaged a goal every 3 games. This is not prolific, but is still solid for a PL striker. A goal every 3 games is far superior to Keinan, who averages a goal every 1.5 seasons! 

Blimey, i read that as 1.5 SECONDS at first! 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is he playing less games than the average PL striker? I know he had injury problems a few years back, hence the lack of appearances. I don't know how often the average PL striker plays. 

I'm using goals per minute, not appearances. 13 appearances doesn't mean he played 13 full games.

Does that include the injury times at the end of each game? which is roughly 4-7 mins 

Wouldnt mind at the 16 million mark and basic wage of around 50k pw on a 3 year deal with an option of a further year.

Stats aside, he visibly is better than what we currently have which is davis who bless him cant score, samatta who has regressed from looking sharp and a crocked wes. Im not including hogan as most of us forgot he still played to us.

While not a sexy name, if he keeps pressing and running into the right areas he will provide a threat and provide room for the rest of the team. We need pace in our forwards and he has it.

Wilson and Watkins would do me for our 2 forwards this year.

• Like 3

He would be a very underwhelming signing for me. Is he better than Davis/Samatta, yes (but Davis brings a different type of link up to us which otherwise we don't have in the squad which I think is a massive issue).  

Would be like akin to when we signed Darren Bent except Bent had multiple PL seasons with 10+ goals. Wilson only has 1.

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

He would be a very underwhelming signing for me. Is he better than Davis/Samatta, yes (but Davis brings a different type of link up to us which otherwise we don't have in the squad which I think is a massive issue).  

Would be like akin to when we signed Darren Bent except Bent had multiple PL seasons with 10+ goals. Wilson only has 1.

When we signed Darren Bent this site went into meltdown. That was our biggest signing in decades.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) Nothing to suggest that. 

2) Definitely. But do you really expect Wilson to hold 30 games? And do you expect Wilson to suit the way we play football? This is one of the things I don't get. Cause while Wesley is shite, I could sort of understand why we wanted him to workout out. It made sense formation wise and tactics. Wilson? Not so much. 

3) I dunno. You are comparing a striker to wingers (well that's what people have stated they are anyway). I suspect Watkins is a better right winger/forward option than Trez and AEG mind. But for the money quoted I think I could find one in Europe quite easily that also ticked that box. 

1) Re: Cash vs Guilbert comparison. I agree, there’s nothing to prove it either way, but on the balance of information I’d personally say Cash is better. Guilbert was highly rated in a team that got relegated from Ligue 1. Cash is highly rated in a team that just missed out on the play-offs in the Championship, after his first season of being switched to right-back. Cash looks, to me, like he’ll be an Aaron Cresswell type, who made the same step-up.

2) Wilson has managed 30+ games in the past 3 seasons, so I don’t see why he couldn’t feasibly do it again and again. On the style of play, I don’t see a huge difference between Maupay and Wilson, in terms of playing style, and Smith was fine managing a team with Maupay leading the line for Brentford (not to mention Smith wanting him last summer).

3) Watkins is a wide forward that was converted to a striker only last season, so I think it’s reasonable to say we could play him in either position and he’d be an improvement on Trez, AEG or potentially Wes and Samatta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think he's impressive even if you decide to use goals per minutes played. He's played 9622 minutes. He's scored 36 goals from open play. That's 36 goals from 107 matches. So about 12-13 goals each season depending on where you cut your decimals. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. But I was hoping for better. And that's before we start talking about his injury history. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think he's impressive even if you decide to use goals per minutes played. He's played 9622 minutes. He's scored 36 goals from open play. That's 36 goals from 107 matches. So about 12-13 goals each season depending on where you cut your decimals. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. But I was hoping for better. And that's before we start talking about his injury history. 

He's not particularly 'impressive', but if you sign a player like that are you looking for impressive, or is stable enough sometimes? You'd put a good amount of money on him scoring 10-15 goals if he stays healthy, which is not to be sniffed at. Especially if he hits on the upside. 

I know we all want the promise of something more in every signing we make, but sometimes good old fashioned tried and tested is perfectly acceptable? I for one think we could use his experience leading the line. 

• Like 2

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Had a relegation clause that immediately cut it to £50k according to all the newspapers.

That makes sense, but IIRC I read that Bournemouths problem was that their big earner didn't have those clauses. Wonder what's true. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is why I don't subscribe to this goals per minutes ratio thing.. people then start adding ghost goals onto tallys

If a payer is injured or not good enough to be selected every game then you have to accept he's injury prone or not the best option every game at the club you are buying him from.

Let's stick to real life stats instead please, he's hit double figures once in 5 years.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's not particularly 'impressive', but if you sign a player like that are you looking for impressive, or is stable enough sometimes? You'd put a good amount of money on him scoring 10-15 goals if he stays healthy, which is not to be sniffed at. Especially if he hits on the upside. 

I know we all want the promise of something more in every signing we make, but sometimes good old fashioned tried and tested is perfectly acceptable? I for one think we could use his experience leading the line. 

Yep. We need solid to get solidified in this league, so nothing wrong with that. I do however think it's more likely Wilson will score 8 than 15. History probably shows that as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep. We need solid to get solidified in this league, so nothing wrong with that. I do however think it's more likely Wilson will score 8 than 15. History probably shows that as well. 

It also depends heavily on how good the team are overall. The quantity and quality of chances we create for him, or any striker. 

• Like 1