Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

The only thing that proves is that they dodged a bullet

He's only had one real productive season in the 5 years Bournemouth spent in the top flight.

His last season was very reminiscent of Gabbys relegation season with us. A player on the decline with little to no motivation left.

If we were after Josh King on the other hand.. that's something I would get excited about. Be a similar price and much the better player that can play wide or up front.

For me, I’d take King over Wilson any day. That being said, I’d take Wilson starting for us first game ahead of Samatta. I genuinely have no hope for him.

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly as in his ability on the pitch but he comes across as being a bit of a ****, I guess it could be a good thing in a way

Absolutely but we are a little bit too nice, so as long as it doesn't rock the boat it might be more good then bad. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I think we’ve moved beyond the MON years and reckless contracts to ageing players. I hope anyway. 

Me too, but by most accounts he is on £60k at Bournemouth and this is likely to be his last big payday. With him turning 29 in February I expect him to want a 4 year deal with at least the money he's on currently. Likely a bit more.

I have no issue with us handing out big contracts to the right players and under the right circumstances, but I don't feel this is that.

This feels a bit MON-esque tbh. All speculation thou so who knows.

(yes,yes I know we finished 6th under MON)

30 minutes ago, Junxs said:

He's only had one real productive season in the 5 years Bournemouth spent in the top flight.

His last season was very reminiscent of Gabbys relegation season with us. A player on the decline with little to no motivation left.

If we were after Josh King on the other hand.. that's something I would get excited about. Be a similar price and much the better player that can play wide or up front.

I’m not sure he’s massively in the decline. Just a very poor Bournemouth season overall. Their relegation is the only reason he’s available at such a price. His goal contributions in the last 3 years are right up there. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Junxs said:

King has been linked with Manchester United and Spurs in recent days. 

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’m not sure he’s massively in the decline. Just a very poor Bournemouth season overall. Their relegation is the only reason he’s available at such a price. His goal contributions in the last 3 years are right up there. 

More than 50% of that came in a very good 18/19 season where he scored 14 and assisted 10.

For the remaining 2 seasons he's has 8 goals each which is OK-ish and 2 respectively 3 assists which is not great.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Like I said, one good season 3 years ago.. funny they try to extend it with the 2 years that follow.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

wtf happened to the number of yellow cards he got last year? Is he becoming angrier as he gets older!?

Or just slower and more frustrated, this type of high stat is worrying without a goal and assist ratio to go with it ...

I know some people thought this might not be happening because apparently Mike Ashley's jet had travelled from Bournemouth up to Newcastle today, but it's being reported Ryan Fraser is now on Tyneside for face to face talks. It sounds like it might have been him on the plane. Otherwise it seesm odd Bournemouth would leak the rejected bid at the same time as allowing the player to travel for talks.

• Like 1

I don’t think it will be bad signing, but I don’t find myself excited to it. However I think he’d improve our team especially with other signings to come. 
I’d prefer Brooks and Billing if we’re signing any from Bournemouth, but I don’t think Wilson will be particularly bad. Could do much worse.

12 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Ah ok,

Still looking at his stats I see one good season in 5

image.png.87aa7abbd92d369544a7d0b2d7ec9c74.png

If you look at minutes per goal, last season is actually his only below average one. Assuming we know what an average PL striker looks like (and I'm not sure we do judging by this thread, tbh)

19/20 - 365

18/19 - 182

17/18 - 250

16/17 - 230

15/16 - 153

His shots per 90 number was way down last season, at 1.64 vs 2.30 the season before and 2.42 the one before that. Which would probably explain the lower output. How much of that is down to him, and how much the supply? 

Some are saying he could be the next Ings, I won’t say he won’t, but there is a big difference as Ings was in Liverpool, much stress and won’t be a first choice there while Wilson is in Bournemouth and he’s the main man upfront.

23 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Ah ok,

Still looking at his stats I see one good season in 5

image.png.87aa7abbd92d369544a7d0b2d7ec9c74.png

He’s an ok striker, capable of hitting 10 goals if injury free his stats in the first 3 years are deceptive due to lack of appearances ?  In trying to clutch on to positives here now