Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

Might've been mentioned already but didn't Wilson pretty much down tools at the start of the year for some sulky reason and admitted as much....or am i thinking about another player ?

Reading a Bournemouth forum has reassured me on this one.

It’s reassured me that’s at season was the anomoly. He was apparently put out at not getting a big move at the start of the season. It sounds like a lot of wheels game off last season behind the scenes. Not saying this is great news for us, but it happens, players lose motivation and maybe we can offer him a different challenge.

The fact that Mings and Grealish are currently away with England must look good on us for players on the fringes. 

Just now, mottaloo said:

Might've been mentioned already but didn't Wilson pretty much down tools at the start of the year for some sulky reason and admitted as much....or am i thinking about another player ?

Wasn’t that Ryan Fraser?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

As you well know, it’s not that simple. Our aim is to improve the squad.

Is Cash an improvement on Guilbert? There’s no proof of them playing in the same league, but it looks likely that he is.

Is Wilson an upgrade on Wesley. Yes. (Injuries/ age/ cost all come into it, of course, but we’ll be getting a mobile player, a clinical finisher, who has pace and the added bonus of experience of the league). Even if he picks up an injury and misses 10 games, this is why you have a squad. You’d rather have Wilson for 30 games and Wes/Samatta etc filling in while he’s on the sidelines, than just having Wes/Samatta/Davis.

Is Watkins and upgrade on Trez/ El Ghazi. Again? There’s no evidence of him in the Prem, but it looks pretty likely he is when you consider he did as well, if not better, than Maupay in the Championship, who has looked much better than Trez/ El Ghazi when making the step up.

1) Nothing to suggest that. 

2) Definitely. But do you really expect Wilson to hold 30 games? And do you expect Wilson to suit the way we play football? This is one of the things I don't get. Cause while Wesley is shite, I could sort of understand why we wanted him to workout out. It made sense formation wise and tactics. Wilson? Not so much. 

3) I dunno. You are comparing a striker to wingers (well that's what people have stated they are anyway). I suspect Watkins is a better right winger/forward option than Trez and AEG mind. But for the money quoted I think I could find one in Europe quite easily that also ticked that box. 

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Not sure exactly how many. But never really impressed in the games I did. Scored 10 goals in 37 in a team that scored even less than we did. At Villa he would have been crucified.

Maupay is a poacher striker.

Potter is asking him to join in the build up play and play as an all rounder.

I'm sure he would get more goals if they played to his strengths more.

11 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

The fact that Mings and Grealish are currently away with England must look good on us for players on the fringes. 

'With merely 5 drop outs due to an unprecedented global pandemic you too could sit on the bench for England'

Edited by Sam-AVFC

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

How about you prioritize Watkins Villa?

This will be yet another Maupay situation.

I genuinely think Villa are shopping in the 15 to 20 million pound market this summer and most of our signings will land between that. If what Brentford are looking for Watkins is true, i don't think Villa will blink and should rightly move on. We aren't signing anyone close to 30 million  tgis summer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

I genuinely think Villa are shopping in the 15 to 20 million pound market this summer and most of our signings will land between that. If what Brentford are looking for Watkins is true, i don't think Villa will blink and should rightly move on. We aren't signing anyone close to 30 million  tgis summer. 

I think we will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

According to The Sun (I know), Wilson is on £100,000 per week at Bournemouth. I hope if he comes here, he is on significantly less 

If he is confident in his own ability, buys into the ongoing Villa project and just loves playing this beautiful game, I'd say he would come inline with our wage structure in the knowledge that it could lead to bigger and better things with us. 

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

'With merely 5 drop outs due to an unprecedented global pandemic you too could sit on the bench for England'

Point being Mings was nowhere near a call up previously.

it reflects well on our coaching, approach etc. It’s something to sell in a market with few marginal selling points.

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Wilson was being linked with Chelsea for around £60m not too long ago. For the rumoured fee of around £17m it’s good business. He knows the Premier League, has a half decent minutes to goals ratio and is over his injury issues. Played nearly every game for 2 seasons. Get it done Villa. 

The only thing that proves is that they dodged a bullet

He's only had one real productive season in the 5 years Bournemouth spent in the top flight.

His last season was very reminiscent of Gabbys relegation season with us. A player on the decline with little to no motivation left.

If we were after Josh King on the other hand.. that's something I would get excited about. Be a similar price and much the better player that can play wide or up front.

Edited by Junxs
spelling

Also it's very telling that Bourenmouth would rather 17m than 15m +5m add ons - even they think he's past it and wouldn't perform to trigger the extra payments

Soon as I saw this on the BBC it stunk to me of that time they said we were after Kenwyne Jones. Think that day we signed Benteke unless I'm remembering wrong. I don't think we're interested in him but I definitely wouldn't be against him joining.

Think this was the article. Hell of a read. Makes you realise how insane transfer prices have become when we spent less than £10mil on those 4 in 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19293430

Edited by skarroki

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If he is confident in his own ability, buys into the ongoing Villa project and just loves playing this beautiful game, I'd say he would come inline with our wage structure in the knowledge that it could lead to bigger and better things with us. 

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly as in his ability on the pitch but he comes across as being a bit of a ****, I guess it could be a good thing in a way

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Also it's very telling that Bourenmouth would rather 17m than 15m +5m add ons - even they think he's past it and wouldn't perform to trigger the extra payments

To be fair it might just be they are in dire need of liquidity as we speak, so future addons won't cut it.