Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

Just now, MaVilla said:

So wilson scored 7 goals in 35 appearances last season and we want him. (1 in 5)

Wesley scored 5 goals in 21 appearances last season and some on here say he's rubbish and we should get rid (1 in 4).

I'm confused.

We need more than one injured striker?

Wilson is a different player so we can play differently versus different opponents.

Bournemouth have to sell and we can buy.

Simples.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How about you prioritize Watkins Villa?

This will be yet another Maupay situation.

Wait, I agree with you I want Watkins in but are we sad we didn’t get Maupay? He was pretty average last season wasn’t he? Not to mention he looks like an angry little rat.

Just now, MaVilla said:

So wilson scored 7 goals in 35 appearances last season and we want him. (1 in 5)

Wesley scored 5 goals in 21 appearances last season and some on here say he's rubbish and we should get rid (1 in 4).

I'm confused.

I think it's quite simple. Wilson had a bad season, and so did Bournemouth. He wouldn't have been available to us, and certainly not at that price, otherwise. If Smith thinks he can get him back to his best I'm fine with it. 

Wesley's injury is very bad. He may not be available until December/January and who knows how long it'd take him to regain some form. Can't risk it. Same as with Heaton. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wilson was being linked with Chelsea for around £60m not too long ago. For the rumoured fee of around £17m it’s good business. He knows the Premier League, has a half decent minutes to goals ratio and is over his injury issues. Played nearly every game for 2 seasons. Get it done Villa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Wait, I agree with you I want Watkins in but are we sad we didn’t get Maupay? He was pretty average last season wasn’t he? Not to mention he looks like an angry little rat.

How do you know Maupay has been average? How many Brighton games have you seen?

Or are you purely a stat merchant?

1 minute ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I think it's quite simple. Wilson had a bad season, and so did Bournemouth. He wouldn't have been available to us, and certainly not at that price, otherwise. If Smith thinks he can get him back to his best I'm fine with it. 

Wesley's injury is very bad. He may not be available until December/January and who knows how long it'd take him to regain some form. Can't risk it. Same as with Heaton. 

This actually implies he had it at some point. 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm confused.

I guess it's more the fact that we have no idea what state Wesley will come back in, or when he will even be back at this point.
Personally I rate Wes higher than Wilson but opinions I guess.... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Such a clear leak.

Within 30 mins 4 or 5 sources all come out with exactly the same line.

Might just be the agent texting his mates in the press. 

And possibly hoping for late offers from elsewhere. 

I'm slightly baffled as to why Wilson is a priority assuming the Watkins interest is legit. 

Is Wesley permanently crocked? 

One can argue we need a striker, rw, cm/dm and ideally maybe a GK and lw as well. So if the Watkins saga nears and end, why and where would Wilson come into the team? You have to assume Watkins is signed to be a striker. 

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where do we want to be in your opinion? You say it like we have a divine right, we have to earn it through effort and quality 

Around where Sheff Utd finished and flirted with Europe all season is where we eventually want to be.

Wilson and Wesley will never take us to that level. Watkins have got the potential.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where do we want to be in your opinion? You say it like we have a divine right, we have to earn it through effort and quality 

In my opinion, where we want to be is near the top, right? But to go from near the bottom to near the top, you have to buy players to take you to the middle before you can buy players to take you to the top. That's where we are at now.

There will Be complaints it's not exciting enough. But it's sensible. It will improve us. And allow us to build through the next 2/3 years and start building a squad to take us to the top. 

Then, include some very good youngsters we've been picking up in 2/3 years time and the plan is pretty clear to me...

• Like 2

I think getting Wilson for anything around the 20mil mark is decent value. Clearly DS and the staff have looked how we struggled last season bedding in a large number of players (especially those whose first language isn't English) and are looking closer to home this season. 

I still think we will get Watkins too. I've said this for the last few years but players like Watkins and Wilson can play anywhere across the front 3 and give us options we badly need.

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not ideal when your signings are either from the championship OR from teams relegated into the championship. It has to be a mix. If we sign Cash, Watkins and Wilson I'd say we are certain for a relegation fight. 

If you buy for the championship, you end up in the championship. 

There's always exceptions to the rule, but the problem is that it's unlikely you end up buying the exceptions. 

As you well know, it’s not that simple. Our aim is to improve the squad.

Is Cash an improvement on Guilbert? There’s no proof of them playing in the same league, but it looks likely that he is.

Is Wilson an upgrade on Wesley. Yes. (Injuries/ age/ cost all come into it, of course, but we’ll be getting a mobile player, a clinical finisher, who has pace and the added bonus of experience of the league). Even if he picks up an injury and misses 10 games, this is why you have a squad. You’d rather have Wilson for 30 games and Wes/Samatta etc filling in while he’s on the sidelines, than just having Wes/Samatta/Davis.

Is Watkins and upgrade on Trez/ El Ghazi. Again? There’s no evidence of him in the Prem, but it looks pretty likely he is when you consider he did as well, if not better, than Maupay in the Championship, who has looked much better than Trez/ El Ghazi when making the step up.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm slightly baffled as to why Wilson is a priority assuming the Watkins interest is legit. 

Is Wesley permanently crocked? 

One can argue we need a striker, rw, cm/dm and ideally maybe a GK and lw as well. So if the Watkins saga nears and end, why and where would Wilson come into the team? You have to assume Watkins is signed to be a striker. 

As it stands, we have samatta and Davis as our forward line up. Neither have shown they can score regularly.

We have a crocked wes who again hasn't shown he can score regularly.

Games will be far more densely packed with less recovery time. Also the 5 active subs thing will mean far greater chance of match time.

We need 2 forwards this window.

Wish we would stop messing around and pay the money. £5M here or there is loose change compared with the money lost if we were relegated. Pay up, get them in, get them settled and get off to a decent start !

• Like 1