Matty Cash

paul514

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

14m + 2m addons is what I believe it was reported as

So double the money then.

that’s very good then. Although he’s still our best right back even with the signings. 

unless we have plans to get another in

• Like 2

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

I'd sell for 40m. He's good, I think we can find better. He's prone to the odd penalty and final quality can be low. 

This. I don't think his strengths exactly match what we need from a full back. Defensively he's become very solid but the attacking side of things is where he's just not really up to it - 40m would be a no-brainer for me. 

• Like 4

It'd be a mistake to lose Cash this window, but if he was leaving in the summer it's just a question whether the recruitment team thinks we have attainable targets we could buy that would improve us for that money.

I'm kinda ambivalent either way. I think he's pretty good but if we could trade him in for someone better I think that would be good business too.

As others have said, it's nice that other teams are interested in our players these days. Gives us options if we want to use them.

I really like Cash as a character and he has some great qualities as a player.

I'm still amazed anyone can seriously say they wouldn't sell him for £40m at this point. He has 3 league goal contributions in the last 18 months. 6 if you count penalties conceded. Selling him for a price that would make him the 3rd/4th most expensive fullback in history would be excellent business.

I don't believe the story for a second anyway. I'm sure he'll stay, keep improving and remain an important member of the team.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I know there is more to it than Cash, that is why I said if it improves the team and is good for the financials. That said, the discussion is about selling Cash in the summer to AM and. not in this window.

Summer is it, sorry then, in that case I'd tell whoever wanted to sign cash to **** off ;)

We don't want to change too much too quickly IMO, and Cash is going to get better. Gerrard would be wise to look after the spirit we had got together, and to be fair so far it seems he has done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Summer is it, sorry then, in that case I'd tell whoever wanted to sign cash to **** off ;)

We don't want to change too much too quickly IMO, and Cash is going to get better. Gerrard would be wise to look after the spirit we had got together, and to be fair so far it seems he has done.

Hard to say really - he's definitely improved a lot over the last year or so but we then so did Targett. 

As I said, I think he's very good defensively but there's no getting away form his 0 assists this season, plus he ranks very low in terms of key passes per game.

'Sources close to the player' I think the whole thing is going to be them positioning for the best new contract possible.

Hedges the bets well enough that even the source is saying how much he loves it here and he's happy so nobody can say he was causing an issue in the dressing room but refused to rule a move out to give it legs.

He'll sign a new contract between now and end of summer and this 'interest' will vanish imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lukesmith17 said:

How can their representatives contact and speak to one of our players who is 2 years into a 5 year deal? Surely this isn't allowed is it? 

Happens all the time. Surely in this case it's just the Athletico side making known their interest that he's a target for them. 

I rate Cash a lot more highly than most on here clearly. I think he's got good end product and if we had a striker that actually got into the right positions in the box we'd be fine. Someone like John Carew would have absolutely loved Cash in the side instead of Luke Young or whoever else we shoehorned in at the time. Defensively solid too. 

He's prone to giving away a pen but I feel like he's less likely to make a howler than Mings or Targett especially this season. 

The question I'd be asking is who are we getting better than him for £40mil in our current position in the table, with no European football? 

If he goes in the summer for £40mil and we're in Europa League we might be able to attract a bargain from abroad but if we don't sneak into those places I'm not sure we have the pulling power to get in someone as good as him with the money, and we'd probably have to offer higher wages to them than what Cash is on. At which point I'm wondering what was the point?

If he isn't insisting on a move away, I'd not be listening to any offers. 

• Like 2

Â