Matty Cash

paul514

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I can see why Athletico are interested. I can't see why Villa fans would have him sold. 

They want to sell everyone.

My NITK theory. Cash has been here at Villa for  coming up to two years now, Atletico have just sold an English FB, Agent uses this information as a negotiation tool to try and secure Matty a new improved contract at Villa Park.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My main issue with Cash is the final ball isn't good enough. He doesn't get enough assists or goal contributions. You look at what Digne averages a season like 7/8 assists. 

Isn't that down to the fact Digne is a set piece taker? Over 60 corners taken by Digne since the start of last season.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Fbref percentiles for defensive actions

Pressures 84th

Tackles 89th

Interceptions 95th

Blocks 96th

Clearances 87th

I can see why Athletico are interested. I can't see why Villa fans would have him sold. 

Now post his attacking output and cross reference that with the talk of 40m and Gerrard's preferred style.

Maybe then you'll get it. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Now post his attacking output and cross reference that with the talk of 40m and Gerrard's preferred style.

Maybe then you'll get it. 

Chelsea won a league title under Conte because of defence. It's an underrated aspect of football for many

With Simeone moving to a back 3 last season and more possession football in his 4-4-2 this I can totally see why Cash's defensive qualities are coveted by Atletico. 

He also has a hell of an engine. 

Edited by Steero113

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Isn't that down to the fact Digne is a set piece taker? Over 60 corners taken by Digne since the start of last season.

Not entirely but it plays a part. He still averages about 4-5 assists per PL season after excluding his assists from corners and free kicks. Which is still way more than Cash does.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

My main issue with Cash is the final ball isn't good enough. He doesn't get enough assists or goal contributions. You look at what Digne averages a season like 7/8 assists. 

I would argue that cash's long throws are a decent weapon.

I'd like to know how many chances they make but I'd bet its a few, and they probably won't be classed as assists as there is normally a flick on.

Lamptey is a good shout, but I'd argue if he is better than Cash. 

Would be a like for like signing, and that's risky. We know Cash fits in. Would Lamptey fit in right away?

And would he improve us?

Edited by Mic09

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Chelsea won a league title under Conte because of defence. It's an underrated aspect of football for many

But we're not managed by Conte, mate. I totally agree with you that Cash is really good defensively but his attacking output is really important due to the style of play - that's why we upgraded Targett for Digne and why Cash will probably be upgraded on too.

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

For an ex winger his crossing is dreadful, defensively like many have said he’s ok but going forward that’s his downfall 

Perhaps the biggest understatement of 2022 so far. 

He’s the best defensive full back in the league. By miles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We don't need to perfectly symmetrical in our team. Just because Digne is better going forward doesn't mean out right back needs to mirror that. Our two number 10's are different in style. As long as he overall team works then thats all that matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's not though. Far from it.

He’s very, very good defensively. I don’t know about best in the league but he’s superb when it comes to tackling and his athleticism. 

He isn’t amazing going forward but he’s certainly not bad. He’s one of my favourite players.

If we get offered £40m, so be it, and I think we’ll accept but the club will find it hard to find someone much better than Cash. 

51 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Just so you know what you're up against whilst you're searching. This is the last 365 days when measured against Premier League fullbacks: 

image.png.8d2c559b6d00556b5d6f6fdbaff42394.png

Defending is quite difficult to measure with stats imo. It's one of those things that you have to really take with a grain of salt. I think a big part of it is that the stats are more indicative of the way you defend rather than how good you are as a defender.

For example, we all know how great of a tackler Cash is, but that doesn't mean he's a great defender. For example, there was a game this season where Cash recorded something ridiculous like 10 tackles in a single game but I could swear that most of those tackles ended up with the ball going straight out for an opposition throw in or the ball was lost back to the opponent soon after.

Someone like Targett isn't as good tackling, but I think he has the ability to position himself really well. He doesn't record many tackles, but he does his job almost as well. Look back to how many times where we conceded a goal and you thought Targett should've done better. Its probably not much more compared to Cash.

Â