Matty Cash

paul514

His positioning last night raises more questions - a great engine on him which means he can recover well, but when on the break United had so much space down the right. A few times his tracking wasn't great either. His crossing needs to return to the levels it once was. Competition will be healthy for him too.

According to much I read in the last few weeks Matt Cash is a 57 year old grey haired old fella with a hump, knobbly knees and the lungs of a ferret.

I had a look at him yesterday and in so far as I can see he's still the same 24 year old full back he's been for the rest of the season, providing us with excellent energy down the right hand side, defending decently, with good recovery pace, a great attitude and the ability to get to the byline and create danger. 

Perfect player? No.

Problem player? Not at all.

• Like 4

His forward play is still great - him and Ollie linked up very well. If he can get his crossing back to the consistent levels we know it can be, he's got a lot to offer. The defensive errors will ease once his confidence is back up.

Think he just needs to find some composure. Looks like he’s playing under pressure or is nervous at times, he can improve and I expect him to.

Works so hard and is so tenacious defensively, really helps us out when we’re under pressure. Look forward to seeing the best of him.

Just take a breath Matty and caress the ball rather than just blast it!

I remember how often he was isolated last season and still stuck to his task and, more often than not, won the ball and took the pressure off the team.

He’s great at defending and getting tackles in. Has a lot of energy too.

He’s learning and developing, that’s what younger players do. I expect to see him go from strength to strength. I don’t like the idea of just turning on some of our better players/prospects if their form drops off slightly/momentarily… we can’t and shouldn’t just think about discarding them when they have so much to offer. I see the same attitude towards Watkins and I really don’t like it tbh.

Maybe Matty’s adjusting, I really think the move to 5-3-2 messed up and disrupted many of our players and confused them in term of their roles. Glad to see the Mings & Konsa partnership restored, for example. Please drop a CF next 😆

Just need to settle down and follow SG’s instructions now, most of our players will come good - I’m sure.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

His positioning last night raises more questions - a great engine on him which means he can recover well, but when on the break United had so much space down the right. A few times his tracking wasn't great either. His crossing needs to return to the levels it once was. Competition will be healthy for him too.

He's struggling a little to get used to the new role and at times was missing in both attack and defence as he was either too far forward or back. If his rise from last season has taught us anything though, it's that he can learn and he'll adapt. 

• Like 2

For me he hasn't kicked on at all from last season and most likely the next position in the first XI to be replaced. 

Obviously we will have to see if KKH is good enough but if not we will need to dip into the market. 

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

For me he hasn't kicked on at all from last season and most likely the next position in the first XI to be replaced. 

Obviously we will have to see if KKH is good enough but if not we will need to dip into the market. 

Or maybe have a look at the 5th or 6th best performing right back in Europe who is currently contracted to us. Behind only TAA, Cancelo, Cuadrado, Reece James and Atal.

And he's been doing it for the last year. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Or maybe have a look at the 5th or 6th best performing right back in Europe who is currently contracted to us. Behind only TAA, Cancelo, Cuadrado, Reece James and Atal.

And he's been doing it for the last year. 

Yeh defensively, and stats are often misleading(Jack Grealish). I mean Targett was good defensively aswell and he's out. It's been said numerous times what Stevie G expects from his fullbacks and that's attacking output. 

Think people are a bit slow on the fact we play exactly like Liverpool now and we will want our own versions of TAA and Robertson.

• Like 1

Really great game today. Would assume his position is under threat especially given Gerrard’s recent comments on everyone being under pressure and wanting to create competition everywhere. Responded absolutely brilliantly. Would like Targett to fight in a similar vain.

Just now, messi11 said:

MOTM today. The Kesler League 2 fanbois aka "he should start ahead of cash" will have to be quiet

What about those who merely said that he's dropped off this year and needs some proper competition as motivation to improve? 

Because hopefully that's what we saw today, best performance in a while 

Â