Matty Cash

paul514

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Defending is quite difficult to measure with stats imo. It's one of those things that you have to really take with a grain of salt. I think a big part of it is that the stats are more indicative of the way you defend rather than how good you are as a defender.

For example, we all know how great of a tackler Cash is, but that doesn't mean he's a great defender. For example, there was a game this season where Cash recorded something ridiculous like 10 tackles in a single game but I could swear that most of those tackles ended up with the ball going straight out for an opposition throw in or the ball was lost back to the opponent soon after.

Someone like Targett isn't as good tackling, but I think he has the ability to position himself really well. He doesn't record many tackles, but he does his job almost as well. Look back to how many times where we conceded a goal and you thought Targett should've done better. Its probably not much more compared to Cash.

I think this season Cash's all round defensive game has gone to another level. His tackling was standout last season but this season its his game awareness as well. For example his passes intercepted stats have gone from 56th percentile last season to 95th this. 

I also concede that teams that do much more defending will naturally have better stats in that department, but for me, Cash is absolutely stand out even when compared to full backs from teams in and around us. 

Going forward, well, masses to work on of course.

On 09/02/2022 at 22:32, Delphinho123 said:

Cash is the least of our worries atm and generally always plays at least a 6/10. Thought he was good tonight again.

The centre backs are the bigger issue.

He's not the least of our worries. He's a huge worry, if not the biggest, because at the moment we're relying on him for a lot of our attacking situations.

Just now, lexicon said:

After a lovely assist last time out, everything he did in the final third today was shit. Couldn't beat the first man with his cross, or crossed it straight to their keeper, or just overhit it. 

Not just today, he's not technically good enough to be consistently good in the final third. He's very limited.

Â