Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He has an impact every game for us, though 🤷‍♂️

The work he does often leads to goals, whether he's scoring, assisting them directly or starting the chance.

A player's value to a team can be measured by how well they do with him on the pitch and we've been tons better this season in attack.

I don’t really agree with the first part, I do agree with the last part.

He runs around a lot but doesn’t look like a £28m striker to me. Often goes missing and rarely gets on the end of crosses and through balls.

Just now, Genie said:

He runs around a lot but doesn’t look like a £28m striker to me. Often goes missing and rarely gets on the end of crosses and through balls.

I wouldn't say he goes missing at all - he's always there buzzing around. As for getting on the end of things, his return isn't bad at all and if not for a bit of bad luck with the post/bar/VAR he'd be even better - he's top 14 in terms of goals scored as it is, which isn't bad at all for the outlay. 28m really isn't that much these days anyway.

We need another striker, we really do and not because there is anything wrong with Ollie but he just needs some rest running around like a hooligan all the time. He cant keep that up and against utd it's starting to show, now is the time to bring another striker in, not to replace him but just give him some rest.

Watkins works his ass of and he never goes missing like some suggest, hes a fantastic player, however a bit of rest and he would return better.

Davis is not a good enough sub for Watkins at this level unfortunately. Davis does alot of running around but when was the last time he scored, we need a goal scorer if Watkins is to be rotated, we need someone who can come on for Ollie and change the game, who will get goals.

Should we look at a cheap option till the summer or just spend on someone real good, I'm not sure which way to go. All depends I suppose who's available and we just dont know do we apart from King.

Even when he isn't scoring he is getting assists or playing a key part in making things happen. Against Utd he was really poor in the first half but was pretty decent in the second half, but he was neutralised too often by Utd fouling him in numbers.

For a young player to come in with a huge price tag on his head, his first season in the Prem I think he has done really well. We need more striking options and he needs more support up front.

5 hours ago, andyjsg said:

I don't think his finishing is poor, one bad one against Palace but otherwise some of the saves have been very very good.

Sort of agree with you, but if the keepers tend to save your attempts (great saves or not), then you aren't good at finishing. Almost by definition.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I love his workrate, but he has only scored in three of the fifteen league games he's played for us - he needs a goal or two.

It will take him this season to adjust imo.....if you study many of the other centre strikers in this league, you can see what Ollie needs to work on.....I think we need to sign an experienced one for back up, make an exception to the policy.

He can then double up as a coach to Ollie, Louie and Wesley......These guys need to learn the art.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

he got on the end of two crosses yesterday, one of which he was very unlucky not to score. 

9 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Careful what you wish for, that additional running contributes a lot to how high we press and our continued defensive resilience.

I wouldnt change the way he plays, I'd look to find somewhere who does it just as well so that we can give him a rest.

There is no better defensive resillience than putting the ball in the net....goals change games.

If you watch Ollie carefully, when he is in the box waiting for a corner or free kick, he just blends in to the crowd.....the good strikers stand out by their movement and determintaion to get on the end of it.

I understand all the mitigating circumstances.....only just come in to this league, big step up and all that......its purely an observation, not criticism.

I like the lad, I think he will develop, just saying he has a bit to work on.......and I don't think its just a case of needing a goal, he has scored a fair few already.....its more a case of doing the things, that a strikers instinct gives you, to score a goal.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We need another striker, we really do and not because there is anything wrong with Ollie but he just needs some rest running around like a hooligan all the time. He cant keep that up and against utd it's starting to show, now is the time to bring another striker in, not to replace him but just give him some rest.

Watkins works his ass of and he never goes missing like some suggest, hes a fantastic player, however a bit of rest and he would return better.

Davis is not a good enough sub for Watkins at this level unfortunately. Davis does alot of running around but when was the last time he scored, we need a goal scorer if Watkins is to be rotated, we need someone who can come on for Ollie and change the game, who will get goals.

Should we look at a cheap option till the summer or just spend on someone real good, I'm not sure which way to go. All depends I suppose who's available and we just dont know do we apart from King.

Samatta?? 😜

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is no better defensive resillience than putting the ball in the net....goals change games.

If you watch Ollie carefully, when he is in the box waiting for a corner or free kick, he just blends in to the crowd.....the good strikers stand out by their movement and determintaion to get on the end of it.

I understand all the mitigating circumstances.....only just come in to this league, big step up and all that......its purely an observation, not criticism.

I like the lad, I think he will develop, just saying he has a bit to work on.......and I don't think its just a case of needing a goal, he has scored a fair few already.....its more a case of doing the things, that a strikers instinct gives you, to score a goal.

Of course he has things to work on, pretty much everyone does. I just wouldnt change the type of striker he is though. While he may not be directly contributing goals, everything hes doing off the ball is massively helping the team.

If you stop him running, he may be more successful personally but I'm not sure we will be as a team.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I’ve seen a few times a cross has come in and he hasn’t even competed for it, he’s too nice. 

19 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Of course he has things to work on, pretty much everyone does. I just wouldnt change the type of striker he is though. While he may not be directly contributing goals, everything hes doing off the ball is massively helping the team.

If you stop him running, he may be more successful personally but I'm not sure we will be as a team.

i can assure you, that if he isn't scoring goals, ambitious people may struggle to buy in to the notion that they have parted with c 30 mill to see a striker bought in due in the main for scoring 26 goals in a season and now we are using him to just run the channels.

Look, I endorse what you are saying, but the reality is he has to score goals.......and firstly he has to look like he is going to score goals, by his approach play.

The sort of running you talk about is very noble and very exhausting, but in the long run, it won't keep the wolf from the door....he needs to come alive in the box.

Ollie has a lot of work to do, IMO.....just like jack did when he had his kidney injury, he came back a different player......This league is hard and Ollie needs to work hard at his game, to become a real danger in the box.

I notice on the Internet many villa fans having a moan about him, citing him losing out on 12 duels and losing possession 10 times yesterday .....thats a worry, because that is part of the approach play that leads to scoring goals.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

i can assure you, that if he isn't scoring goals, ambitious people may struggle to buy in to the notion that they have parted with c 30 mill to see a striker bought in due in the main for scoring 26 goals in a season and now we are using him to just run the channels.

Look, I endorse what you are saying, but the reality is he has to score goals.......and firstly he has to look like he is going to score goals, by his approach play.

The sort of running you talk about is very noble and very exhausting, but in the long run, it won't keep the wolf from the door....he needs to come alive in the box.

Ollie has a lot of work to do, IMO.....just like jack did when he had his kidney injury, he came back a different player......This league is hard and Ollie needs to work hard at his game, to become a real danger in the box.

I think he has many improvements to make, in also see many of the benefits now. I think hes a much better player with Barkley in the side and with Grealish playing left. I probably would be as well I suppose.

For now, I wouldnt change much, I'd definitely consider a break in the cup and I'd see where we are when were back to full strength. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think he has many improvements to make, in also see many of the benefits now. I think hes a much better player with Barkley in the side and with Grealish playing left. I probably would be as well I suppose.

For now, I wouldnt change much, I'd definitely consider a break in the cup and I'd see where we are when were back to full strength. 

I don't think we can change much....we have invested c 30 mill on him.....Dean has to work with him or get a somebody in to help in at BMH

I don't think he has had long enough, he will have to come to terms with the closer scrutiny in this league and be stronger in dealing with it....he has to win more duels and go from there.

Since Terry became a coach I've been hoping he'd bring in an ex-teammate to teach our strikers, even if only for a year. Learning from him wouldn't have hurt Konsa's development and having similar to work with out strikers would be amazing.

• Like 1

Â