Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

8 minutes ago, dubbs said:

There are a lot of good things about his game.   Unfortunately taking penalties isn't one of them. 

If i remember correctly Wesley missed 2/2 as last season.

1 in pre season and 1 against Norwich.

Pretty impressive how we sign striker on striker who all are uselss on pens.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Real Madrid have some of the finest attacking talent on Earth, yet Ramos is their penalty taker and even he missed two in a game not long ago.

It's certainly a strange quirk, though, that I can't recall us having anyone since Yorke who filled me with confidence on pens.  Maybe Carew, as he certainly had the right mentality for it.

Saunders was a similar sort of finisher to Watkins but I saw him take some absolutely stinking penalties too.  Perhaps instinctive strikers just aren't good penalty takers.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Real Madrid have some of the finest attacking talent on Earth, yet Ramos is their penalty taker and even he missed two in a game not long ago.

It's certainly a strange quirk, though, that I can't recall us having anyone since Yorke who filled me with confidence on pens.  Maybe Carew, as he certainly had the right mentality for it.

Saunders was a similar sort of finisher to Watkins but I saw him take some absolutely stinking penalties too.  Perhaps instinctive strikers just aren't good penalty takers.

Barry??

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Milner surely? Was a penalty master with us, think he only ever 'missed' 1 if I recall rightly.

Haven't kept track of his penalty-taking since leaving us but a quick look online tell me he's taken 35 in competitive matches and scored 30.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Milner surely? Was a penalty master with us, think he only ever 'missed' 1 if I recall rightly.

Haven't kept track of his penalty-taking since leaving us but a quick look online tell me he's taken 35 in competitive matches and scored 30.

And of the 5 he didn't score 4 were on target but saved. 34 out of 35 on target is the kind of ratio we should be aiming for.

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No he scored the one in preseason. Roof of the net missed the one against Norwich though. 

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Jedi, never missed a pen did he? 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Benteke weren’t great. 
Last proper pen takers we’ve had were Milner and Barry.

It's funny because I thought I remembered Benteke missing too many but looking at his stats he scored 7 and missed 2 for us. I think it's only because of how high Barry and Milner had set the bar beforehand I remember his misses.

We'd kill for a striker who converted 78% of them right now

Just now, YouUnastanFren said:

It's funny because I thought I remembered Benteke missing too many but looking at his stats he scored 7 and missed 2 for us. I think it's only because of how high Barry and Milner had set the bar beforehand I remember his misses.

He just never gave you confidence taking them. The stupid run up 😔

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Good shout.

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

78% isn't bad at all. Barry's ratio is 84%.

Actually, one of those missed Benteke penalties he ended up scoring from the rebound. So if you count that as well, 8 out of 9 is really good.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

There was no need though. He hits penalty exactly like he did v Southampton and he scores.

I always think if player is a little unsure in himself on penalties he should just go down the middle as keeper will pretty much always dive. Troy Deeney seems to do that every single penalty and scores the vast majority of his. Ashley Young also tended to do it if he'd missed one recently for us.

left right middle you make your choice. It was very nearly the perfect penalty. A fraction lower its a goal. 

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Players should never get to decide who takes a penalty IMO. The manager should know who is the best penalty taker on the pitch by seeing them take them in training and that player should take the pens. You should be scoring 90% of the penalties you get (or above). It feels like we have about a 60% strike rate down through the years.  

It was pretty much 90% when we had Barry, Milner and Young. All three were pretty good. Even in more recent times Benteke only missed about 2 and Tammy once in promotion season.

Only in last 18 months things haven't been great but we haven't actually had that many. Does need to be sorted though.

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He just never gave you confidence taking them. The stupid run up 😔

Didn't mind it, just made keepers commit early and he'd roll it in the other corner. That last minute one he scored v West Brom was very clutch, miss and we'd have gone down that season rather than a year later.

Think he missed at Arsenal but scored the rebound and Howard made a very good save when we played Everton as he hit it towards the top corner.

Think Tammy only missed one in the promotion season which people are forgetting. Also scored in the shoot out v West Brom. Kodj was decent at them aswell although he oddly didn't take one in that game.

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apparently the ball from his penalty against Newcastle away has just discovered life on Pluto.

Â