Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Real Madrid have some of the finest attacking talent on Earth, yet Ramos is their penalty taker and even he missed two in a game not long ago.

It's certainly a strange quirk, though, that I can't recall us having anyone since Yorke who filled me with confidence on pens.  Maybe Carew, as he certainly had the right mentality for it.

Saunders was a similar sort of finisher to Watkins but I saw him take some absolutely stinking penalties too.  Perhaps instinctive strikers just aren't good penalty takers.

Barry?

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was poor last night and this isn't the first time.

I'm a fan, but these performances will see him benched if he doesn't improve. 

To be fair I don't think we helped with the way the team played, he isn't a target man so trying to hit him with long balls when he was up against 2 or 3 CBs its no suprise.

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Who curiously suddenly care about "systems" 🤔

I've noticed a correlation between those that defended Bruce the most and seem to take the negative from everything now. Makes sense if it's their chosen state of mind as under Bruce it was a hell of a lot easier to be depressed about football.

10 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've noticed a correlation between those that defended Bruce the most and seem to take the negative from everything now. Makes sense if it's their chosen state of mind as under Bruce it was a hell of a lot easier to be depressed about football.

You could say the opposite to be fair.

Those who were staunchly against Bruce regardless of what he did are the ones who refuse to see anything negative about the present (particularly last season)

It happens. People who have extreme views about a manager carry them over into the next manager's tenure to justify their old position.

Be happy that most of us sit in the middle, we just don't shout as loud

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He won't be benched ever because there isn't anyone else to play instead of him. Even if Wesley comes back he's not better than Watkins. Players like Cash, Targett, Watkins, McGinn are going to have bad games but they will still be picked every week regardless as there is no alternative.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was however.....He should have had at least 1 goal and an assist

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

then you dont understand what he's doing for our attack

we looks miles better with him in the team for his movement and ability to stretch the line let alone what he offers on the ball, we've become a good attacking unit and he's part of that, if we converted the chances we'd be up there with the best attacks in the league, only the top 3 have scored more and we've played a game less and without watching every game id be surprised if many teams in the league have missed the chances we have

he's head and shoulders the best striker we have, you're not benching him for anyone, he's the best striker we've had since benteke (not sure that says much...)

Absolutely.  I think people underestimate just how hard a job it is to play up top effectively on your own.  You have to be quick, usually up against two strong centre halves, good at holding the ball up, link up with the midfield and wingers plus score all types of goals.  He's only done it 9 games in the Prem and one season in the Championship, he has had a remarkable start with us.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2020 at 16:24, AVFCforever1991 said:

I'd like to see him on the right with Wes up top, Watkins running the channel with Jack cutting in , and feeding Wes

Sorry, don't rate Wes at all, he's much less involved in the game and his attacking instincts in the box seem poor. And coming back after such a long time won't really help either

On 01/12/2020 at 11:15, villalad21 said:

If i remember correctly Wesley missed 2/2 as last season.

1 in pre season and 1 against Norwich.

Pretty impressive how we sign striker on striker who all are uselss on pens.

I remember when you signed him from us telling you that you had some player there, but on the other hand his only weakness was penalty taking, he also missed a few for us, but was then relieve of penalty duties, thank goodness we had others who never missed!!, I think Jack or Ross should be you penalty takers in future.

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

I remember when you signed him from us telling you that you had some player there, but on the other hand his only weakness was penalty taking, he also missed a few for us, but was then relieve of penalty duties, thank goodness we had others who never missed!!, I think Jack or Ross should be you penalty takers in future.

Did he miss them like the other night or were they more weak efforts at the keeper?

It's always odd when a striker isn't good at penalties as you'd think they've be practising on the training ground every day to improve accuracy. It's an easy 5 + goals a season for them if they're good at it.

Guess some strikers just don't fancy it as don't think Gabby ever took one for us in normal play (would've finished up close to 100 league goals if he'd insisted given the amount we used to get in his day) and read that Andy Cole only scored one penalty in the hundreds he scored in his career.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

My heart sank the other night when stepped up and Sky showed a little graphic of him missing 3 out of 5 penalties (now 4 out of 6).

We had two penalties in the league last season taken by Wesley and Grealish, both missed.  It's been a bit of a problem area for us for a while.

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

My heart sank the other night when stepped up and Sky showed a little graphic of him missing 3 out of 5 penalties (now 4 out of 6).

We had two penalties in the league last season taken by Wesley and Grealish, both missed.  It's been a bit of a problem area for us for a while.

El Ghazi had one too and scored the consolation against Citeh

Next one Jack should be taking, or Conor if he’s on the pitch. Barkley another option though I remember him missing one in the CL for Chelsea last season

Bottom line is anyone can miss on any given occasion. Messi has missed loads! Dont think the unnecessary time it took to review on VAR helped Ollie. A lot of us noticed he looked nervous and just knew he’d miss. Jack should be on them for me, like to see him get 15+ goals this season. He was so good during the game, should have just pulled rank and got us back level.

• Like 1

Â