Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

Out of the following forwards, where would you rank Ollie?

• Raúl Jiménez
  • Sebastian Haller
  • Ismaïla Sarr
  • Moise Kean
  • Joelinton
  • Ayoze Pérez
  • Alex Iwobi

Top. Best forward in the PL for me. Might be claret and blue tinted of course. 

• Like 1

Considering they bought Toney for £ 10 million, sold Watkins for £ 28 million and Exeter are due £ 5-7 million from what source you choose, it's not the biggest profit on their best player. I can sort of see why they wanted £ 28 mill. 

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of Villa fans have been so starved of talent in the last 10 years that they can recognise a good thing when they see it.

If this does get over the line then we have landed a real player here.

Strength, pace, awareness, intelligence and the right attitude.

The top six will be linked with him this time next year.

Welcome to Villa Ollie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

• Moise Kean

I'd have wet my knickers if we'd have signed him last summer, went on to do just shy of absolutely **** all 

So hard to judge how any of them will do 

37 minutes ago, villan501 said:

This is football suicide imo and will be why we get relegated 44mil so far on championship players is pathetic. At that sort pf money we should.get somone that has played at highest level. YET AGAIN we are in the Young with potential marlet great in terms of business if sold on but will not work Football clubs need quality players this is what we are lacking.

And if the market doesn't have anyone that has played at the highest level available for that money and the salaries we can afford, who do you suggest we buy?

Football has moved on.  Rodriguez, 22m for Everton and no doubt on 100k a week.. a 29 Yr old who spent most of last season on the treatment table,  and is now in decline shows you how expensive the world is. I'd rather 28 on Watkins than 22 on Rodriguez in our situation.  We cant buy players like that with no resale value or we cripple ourselves due to FFP.

• Like 1

I think he will be a good acquisition to the squad. From the brief bits I have seen of him he looks like a bit of an all rounder. A hard working team player, who has an eye for the goal, gets into good positions to score and is good with both feet and his head. Yes it remains to be seen that he can transfer that to the PL, but Deano clearly believes in him and hopefully that will rub off and give the lad confidence to go on and perform in the PL. I hope that he will score between 10-15 goals next season, along with a few assists to others which will be a great return. I personally think  will be a massive upgrade on what we currently have up front in Davis and Samatta.

To me, from the highlights and the one game I have seen him play at Villa Park I seem to remember that he will put in a shift up front by helping the team defend from the front. That will give us a bit of respite further down the field in defence.

• Like 3

If FFP wasn't such an issue I dont think there would be as much shock about us spending a record ( for our club and for the championship) amount on a player.

But saying it doesn't matter its not our money, well it impacts on our other purchases due to FFP

• Like 2

Never seen him play but we need goals and he looks like he scores them. My only worry with the fee is whether it costs us something else, if its 28m upfront, every million is money that can now not be spent on someone else. If FFP gives us a restricted budget we need to be wise to that.

22 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

• Raúl Jiménez
  • Ismaïla Sarr
  • Ayoze Pérez
  • Ollie Watkins
  • Alex Iwobi
  • Moise Kean
  • Sebastian Haller
  • Joelinton

I think that list shows that spending money doesn't necessarily guarantee you success at this level.

Watkins is the second cheapest player on that list and there are a number of players there that wouldn't be considered a success.

Â