Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

41 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Oh sure. Wasn’t aware of how close they both were (knew they were both in the midlands but not actual proximity)

It’s best you don’t know. There is no reason to ever go to either of those terrible places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Oh sure. Wasn’t aware of how close they both were (knew they were both in the midlands but not actual proximity)

one police force covers the region with the 4 west midlands clubs

2 play at home 2 play away, there are certain teams that aren't allowed to play at home on the same day, Liverpool and everton, spurs and arsenal, the one year the random fixture generator thing magically threw out us at home to Liverpool the day baggies were away to everton, then reversed it, same with the north London games and I think maybe the Manchester games, it makes sense but was funny to see

• Thanks 1

We've just barely survived and lets face it were very poor for the most part, have kept the same manager, haven't signed anyone, and the players we're being linked to are championship players. Can understand why some would say that they'd accept 17th as things stand, it's going to be a very difficult season, hard to think of three worse teams. It's going to take an incredibly succesful transfer window for us to even become a midtable team. 🐄🔬

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

one police force covers the region with the 4 west midlands clubs

2 play at home 2 play away, there are certain teams that aren't allowed to play at home on the same day, Liverpool and everton, spurs and arsenal, the one year the random fixture generator thing magically threw out us at home to Liverpool the day baggies were away to everton, then reversed it, same with the north London games and I think maybe the Manchester games, it makes sense but was funny to see

Presumably whilst there are no actual fans to police this doesn’t apply though. 

The bookies have Leeds are more likely to finish in the top ten than go down. Have I missed them signing a dozen players?

They're certainly tipped more than us. Baggies are 5/4 to finish above us, while they are 2/1 to finish above Leeds! I do think Leeds will stay up but I'm not sure why I think that. Seems I'm not alone though. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Presumably whilst there are no actual fans to police this doesn’t apply though. 

If they are planning on bringing fans back though the whole season is mapped out from the first fixture onwards.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 08:15, blunther said:

The bookies have Leeds are more likely to finish in the top ten than go down. Have I missed them signing a dozen players?

They're certainly tipped more than us. Baggies are 5/4 to finish above us, while they are 2/1 to finish above Leeds! I do think Leeds will stay up but I'm not sure why I think that. Seems I'm not alone though. 

Coaches like Benitez and Bielsa don't need individuals to win football matches.

The system is what gets them results. No doubts in my mind they will have a good first half of the season, the question mark over Bielsa though is when that inevitable "burn out" happen.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bookies set odds based on how much money is being wagered, not on how likely it is they think something will happen - a lot of optimistic Leeds fans have clearly lumped on.

Exactly. 

Ignore the post from @villalad21it has nothing to do with his biesla wankfest

43 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bookies set odds based on how much money is being wagered, not on how likely it is they think something will happen - a lot of optimistic Leeds fans have clearly lumped on.

Yup, I think some Leeds fans are underestimating just how hard the Premier League is after 16 years away. I only know one and he's the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yup, I think some Leeds fans are underestimating just how hard the Premier League is after 16 years away. I only know one and he's the same.

well, pot kettle black there. a good number of us thought we'd finish top half.

• Like 3

Leeds will have to sign plenty of players. Beyond their first 11 their bench last season had 3-4 youth players on it every game. They're a bit like Wolves in they prefer going in with smaller squad but you never know when an injury crisis is going to hit as we had over xmas last season.

Will have to look at it again but I'm pretty sure they dropped plenty of points in games Kalvin Phillips was injured/suspended for last season so that's an example of form dropping when a key player isn't around.

Aside from Liverpool and Man. City it's not that bad a start for them in the first two months so they could pick up a few wins early on and take things from there.

13 minutes ago, blunther said:

So hard that SU finished in the top 10 first season back

Last season really was crap, with a lot of shocking teams.

Edited by villalad21

I believe that with a year's experience our squad will be better. I expect us to perform stronger against the teams around us.  We might even sneak a couple of wins against the top teams too. The fact that we are linked with a higher quality of player than last season means that we will be stronger overall. 

We can beat Leeds, Tesco bags, Burnley, Brighton, Fulham, Southampton, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Palace and Arsenal (they're woeful and overrated), some of those we should beat twice. I think Wolves, Everton, West Ham will be tougher than last season but we will give them a good game.

Man City, Liverscum, Chelsea are going to dominate this season, Tottenham and Manure will be stronger too. Leicester I'm not too sure about they might regress. 

Obviously other teams will probably look at us and think 3 easy points so we have to physically compete in the games every game with a higher level of intensity. 

I'd like it if we can lose a maximum of 15 games this season. That's a realistic improvement. It means a possible minimum of 6 extra points over last season.

I genuinely believe that we can achieve 15 wins for the season. We had 9 last season. So 6 extra wins. We led enough games to suggest that we could have achieved it last season. With better players we will have the tools to do it.

30 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well, pot kettle black there. a good number of us thought we'd finish top half.

Nah not really. The large majority seemed from recollection to be very content with survival. You had the odd child that thought we would challenge for top 8 because we spent over £ 100 million, but I think the general consensus on both this board and else where was rather conservative in terms of what we could expect. 

Betting activity can move a market, and is a factor that definitely can affect pricing, but bookies most definitely calculate odds based on their analysis and conclusion of how likely they believe something is to happen.

https://www.onlinebetting.org.uk/betting-guides/how-do-bookmakers-set-odds-and-make-money.html

Bookmakers and odds traders calculate the real probabilities of something happening based on statistics, form, history and ultimately human opinion (their own opinions, other bookies opinions and public opinion). The more data that is available the more likely the bookmaker odds are going to reflect the real probability, if the event has never happened before or there is less data on the outcomes then bookmakers will be more cautious and their odds will be lower than the real probability.

In financial markets if there is more interest in buying the stock of a company then it will go up, if there is more interest in selling stock then it will go down. The same basic principle basic principle is true in bookmaking.

As I mentioned earlier the real probability of an event occurring is only one factor in setting odds.

I wouldn’t fancy betting on us to finish in the top half (as it stands) and still anticipate a relegation battle. Not on of those where you need to keep one eye on the teams further below, just in case you get dragged down, but a full on scrap to avoid it. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Â