Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Am i the only one not concerned about our midfield?

I think Conor has been great since Luiz started playing well.

I actually think our midfield is really good as it is. Samatta is a disaster though.

We're one injury away from it not being good again. It'd be great if we could strengthen all over really, I think. Strengthening in the wings would help though as Jack could play in midfield.

• Like 2

thing is it's only a matter of time before they put adverts during the drinks break. for that reason alone i'm happy for it to go. i loved it during the relegation fight though...chance to breathe

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

thing is it's only a matter of time before they put adverts during the drinks break. for that reason alone i'm happy for it to go. i loved it during the relegation fight though...chance to breathe

There were definitely times when the drinks break came as a great relief. But also times when I feared if we were slightly on top and had more momentum than the opposition that it was an ideal time for the opposition coaching staff to recognise what was going on and nullify our threat. Essentially, the drinks break benefits the team under pressure providing their manager and coaches have the ability to stop the flow and change the momentum of the game. And, naturally, the better coaches are better than others at this so over a season it'd likely benefit the better teams more in a similar way the 5-sub rule did. If we were somehow leading City 0-1 last their place, id be dreading Pep getting stuck into his team during the drinks break as we'd almost certainly end up 2-1 down by HT. 

I was such a nervous wreck in all of those last ten games that any break in play came as a feeling of sanctuary (much like half time) as it's the only time I can somewhat rely during. game. That said, i'm all for it going next season and would rather we didn't have it at all. It also guarantees more added time at the end of each half which most Villa fans will, naturally, be dreading. 

Edited by roonst83

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If we have to rely on Conor for more than 8 to 10 games next season then we will be struggling again. We need a number 8 for me. Someone with a physical presence, lots of energy and pace.

I agree but f Grealish stays he'll be coming back inside in the middle 3. Our Business this summer will be on the flanks and upfront adding pace to the team/squad

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

If we have to rely on Conor for more than 8 to 10 games next season then we will be struggling again. We need a number 8 for me. Someone with a physical presence, lots of energy and pace.

Hourihane is a good squad player but yes him starting more than 20 games next season would indicate our transfer business wouldn't have been good enough again.

Same for Hause. Imagine last August thinking with all the defensive purchases we made he'd be starting 25 games for us but it happened.

BTW if we draw either Manchester club on the first weekend we'll have a longer break as they'll both be excused from opening weekend given they're both still in europe so will get a longer break.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hourihane is a good squad player but yes him starting more than 20 games next season would indicate our transfer business wouldn't have been good enough again.

Same for Hause. Imagine last August thinking with all the defensive purchases we made he'd be starting 25 games for us but it happened.

BTW if we draw either Manchester club on the first weekend we'll have a longer break as they'll both be excused from opening weekend given they're both still in europe so will get a longer break.

Tbf hause us very good at what he is good at and has a lot of room to improve. I would be happy if hause ended up starting 15 or 20 games for us next season. Same with hourihane provided it means we are giving players rest in games we are unlikely to win. Like resting mcginn against City and the grealish against Liverpool so we are at full strength against say Brighton for the next game. 

Conor gets bypassed a lot and doesnt carry the ball like our other midfielders. Conor can improve himself but this is also on his teammates who often dont pass to him when he is open. But overall I just want Conor to have more of a presence in midfield and impact the game more in open play.

Gameweeks

Matchweek 1: Saturday 12 September
Matchweek 2: Saturday 19 September
Matchweek 3: Saturday 26 September
Matchweek 4: Saturday 3 October
Matchweek 5: Saturday 17 October
Matchweek 6: Saturday 24 October
Matchweek 7: Saturday 31 October
Matchweek 8: Saturday 7 November
Matchweek 9: Saturday 21 November
Matchweek 10: Saturday 28 November
Matchweek 11: Saturday 5 December
Matchweek 12: Saturday 12 December
Matchweek 13: Wednesday 16 December
Matchweek 14: Saturday 19 December
Matchweek 15: Saturday 26 December
Matchweek 16: Monday 28 December
Matchweek 17: Saturday 2 January
Matchweek 18a: Wednesday 13 January
Matchweek 19: Saturday 16 January
Matchweek 18b: Wednesday 20 January
Matchweek 20: Saturday 23 January
Matchweek 21: Saturday 30 January
Matchweek 22: Wednesday 3 February
Matchweek 23: Saturday 6 February
Matchweek 24: Saturday 13 February
Matchweek 25: Saturday 20 February
Matchweek 26: Saturday 27 February
Matchweek 27: Saturday 6 March
Matchweek 28: Saturday 13 March
Matchweek 29: Saturday 20 March
Matchweek 30: Saturday 3 April
Matchweek 31: Saturday 10 April
Matchweek 32: Saturday 17 April
Matchweek 33: Saturday 24 April
Matchweek 34: Saturday 1 May
Matchweek 35: Saturday 8 May
Matchweek 36: Wednesday 12 May
Matchweek 37: Saturday 15 May
Matchweek 38: Sunday 23 May

• Like 2

Just got to smack in a bunch of cup games, European games and all the backlog of international games into that schedule.

No idea about England but the Swedish national side has 8 games scheduled between 5/9 and 27/11

Not sure if this is the right thread but there will be no FA cup replays and the League Cup Semi Final will be one leg. Also no winter break.

I was quite surprised the League Cup was not binned off tbh. Personally I would keep it but you can hear the moans from Klopp et al that will happen when they have to play all the matches. The one leg semi is a bit unfair but looking at the calendar it is no surprise that they have done it.

I am in favour of the cup replays going. I know there is the argument that it is good money for the smaller clubs but its a mess know that its only replays up the 5th round. It will be neater knowing who is through at the end of the cup weekend.  I know some old timers may miss them but  think its time to move on. The League Cup has managed to adapt and change its format to survie so there is no reason why the FA Cup can't as well.

Edited by The Fun Factory

6 hours ago, sne said:

Just got to smack in a bunch of cup games, European games and all the backlog of international games into that schedule.

No idea about England but the Swedish national side has 8 games scheduled between 5/9 and 27/11

Madness playing the nations league games, what is the actual point. Much more sense to get in as many league games as possible before November annd perhaps have three weeks of international games early next year.

Looks like with all the games from Feb onwards they're gambling a bit on fans being allowed back in grounds from that point, nearly half a season from that point being crammed in.

Spurs btw have two rounds of europa qualifying in weeks when league cup is being played so looks like they'll have to do a Liverpool and Mourinho has plenty of excuses this side of xmas.

• Like 1

Â