Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reading on forums a lot of people are predicting us to go down.

Yep all the usual annual "league predictors" have us finishing 18th..I cant really blame them as on paper we are the same team as last season.

West Brom are surely nailed on to finish bottom, have they actually signed anyone for their first team bar getting in Matheus Periera full time?

Fulham haven't signed any major defenders and we saw last time Tim Ream and Odoi are hopeless at prem level.

I really think two of the bottom places are sorted unless they get in some really good signings in next month and even then it will be a struggle.

We saw last season two reasonably established premier league teams went from mid table to getting relegated so there is probably one who'll stagnate and drop.

We still need to do much more. So complacent to think just because we had a good last 4 games to the season it will just carry over to the next season, think we took more points from last 10 games of 14/15 and that didn't help us at all the following season.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

West Brom are surely nailed on to finish bottom, have they actually signed anyone for their first team bar getting in Matheus Periera full time?

Fulham haven't signed any major defenders and we saw last time Tim Ream and Odoi are hopeless at prem level.

I really think two of the bottom places are sorted unless they get in some really good signings in next month and even then it will be a struggle.

We saw last season two reasonably established premier league teams went from mid table to getting relegated so there is probably one who'll stagnate and drop.

We still need to do much more. So complacent to think just because we had a good last 4 games to the season it will just carry over to the next season, think we took more points from last 10 games of 14/15 and that didn't help us at all the following season.

I can see your point about WBA and Fulham they both need significant reinforcements.

As do Villa.

To say that none of us will add to our existing  squads is not realistic, none of the above mentioned teams will go into the season without stronger squads.

The difference between us and them at the moment is our squad as it stands now has survived a season in the Premier league

So we have a stronger starting position and (yet to be proven)deeper pockets.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Can't really expect any other opinion, we've just barely survived, haven't changed manager, haven't improved the squad and are being linked to championship players. As it stands it's a struggle to think which three teams might be worse than us next season.

Links mean nothing. We haven't even scratched the surface of the transfer window yet. Let's wait and see how it plays out before declaring us relegated in 2021.

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Thought I'd post a short summary for each club on their changes from last season so we can get an idea ahead of the new season. Tried not to include any youth players, guys who weren't at the club last season or didn't play etc. Apologies for any mistakes/debatable omissions.

Arsenal (Spent 41m)

In: Willian, Gabriel, Pablo Mari

Out: -

Villa (Spent 0m)

In: -

Out: Reina (loan ended)

Brighton (Spent -20m)

In: Lallana, Veltman

Out: - Montoya, Mooy

Burnley (Spent 0m)

In: Norris

Out: Lennon, Hart, Hendrick

Chelsea (Spent 58m)

In: Ziyech, Werner, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, Sarr

Out: Willian

Crystal Palace (Spent 16m)

In: Eze, Ferguson

Everton (Spent -4m)

Out: Schneiderlin, Niasse

Fulham (Spent 17m)

In: Robinson, Lemina, Knockaert (bought after loan)

Leeds (Spent 65m)

In: Meslier, Rodrigo, Koch, Gelhardt, Costa (bought after loan), Harrison (loan extended)

Leicester (Spent -50m)

Out: Chilwell

Liverpool (Spent 1m)

In: Tsimikas

Out: Lovren, Lallana

Man City (Spent 23m)

In: Ferran Torres, Ake

Out: Sane, Silva, Bravo

Man Utd (Spent 0m)

Newcastle (Spent 0m)

In: Gillespie, Hendrick

Sheffield Utd (Spent 19m)

In: Foderingham, Ramsdale, 

Out: Henderson (loan ended)

Southampton (Spent 8m)

In: Walker-Peters, Salisu

Out: Holbjerg

Tottenham (Spent 18m)

In: Holbjerg, Hart, Doherty

Out: Walker-Peters, Vertonghen

West Brom (Spent 9m)

In: Pereira (Bought after loan)

Out: Brunt, Ferguson, Diangana (returned from loan), Robinson (returned from loan), Krovinovic (returned from loan)

West Ham (Spent 10m)

In: Soucek (bought after loan)

Out: Carlos Sanchez, Zabaleta, Albian Ajeti, 

Wolves (Spent -31m)

Out: Doherty, Gibbs-White (loan), 

So Chelsea according to transfermarkt have spent €143 million just on Werner Ziyech and Chillwell and Willian left on a free and they've only spent £58m???

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

So Chelsea according to transfermarkt have spent €143 million just on Werner Ziyech and Chillwell and Willian left on a free and they've only spent £58m???

They got a combined approx 74m for Morata & Pasalic. Didn't include them as outs because they weren't involved last season.

Edited by Hornso

Surprised West Brom haven't done anything yet. If anyone needed to do a Villa it's them. They need to refresh this aging team. I'll laugh if they go into next season playing the likes of Livermore and Robson-Kanu.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Fingers crossed! I would love to see 5 subs plus the extra drinks break become permanent. 

This should never go ahead. It would favour the so called bigger teams than us. 89th minute it’s 1-1.. Pep has used all his (3) subs but decides to throw on Aguero and Gabriel Jesus under the new rules, five minutes gets randomly added on.. how on earth could that be right. This should never go ahead and the fact they’ve managed to get yet another vote on it frankly stinks too. I’m 100% against this change and drink breaks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Just shows that the only teams to have really made major moves are Leeds and Chelsea. Such a strange time to try and do business. 

This is the first summer transfer window since the transfer ban at Chelsea is lifted, it makes sense they'd go all in.

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Guardian season preview predicts us finishing 15th. Which I would take as steady progress.

With Heaton, Wesley and Mcginn fit last season I would have thought upwards 15th place wouldn't have been too far a prediction.

If we can strengthen the first team adequately then I'm sure midtable is a possibility. 

Villa need to finish above a few of them teams around us last season and not just the newly-promoted teams but we should be aiming for Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton, Palace and the likes of Sheff. Utd too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

With Heaton, Wesley and Mcginn fit last season I would have thought upwards 15th place wouldn't have been too far a prediction.

If we can strengthen the first team adequately then I'm sure midtable is a possibility. 

Villa need to finish above a few of them teams around us last season and not just the newly-promoted teams but we should be aiming for Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton, Palace and the likes of Sheff. Utd too.

Not sure I would include Palace in there - they seem to be in very good shape. Agreed Sheff United could have a very hard second season.

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Guardian season preview predicts us finishing 15th. Which I would take as steady progress.

As of today, I'd also take 15th.  Gives us another year to get our recruitment and academy developing and one more season of PL experience for our relatively young side.

Â