Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Five weeks until our first game.

I'd guess maybe a couple of weeks until our first behind closed doors friendly?

You can just call them friendlies the way things are these days.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Agree overall that drinks breaks need to go but will personally miss taking them literally as an excuse to get up and grab a beer

And have a wee. My bladder was a nervous wreck in that Arsenal and West Ham game. 

• Haha 1

Five weeks until the season starts.

Last season's pre-season was just over four weeks long with six friendlies.

Any fitness enthusiasts with thoughts on how many players across the sport are going to break down next season? I feel like it might come late on. Maybe just before or after the Euros.

The game is so high paced now, they almost need to train less once a base level of fitness is built up. Keep legs fresher.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 17:12, Jareth said:

Drinks breaks gone? That's good news - the feckers were desperate to get some more adverts in, do not want this sport turning into something American. 

I went to an NHL game in Minenesota a few years ago and was really confused when half way through the first quarter (about 8 minutes in I think), all the players just stopped and started skating back and forth. My friend then explained that it was the first advert break. They literally couldn't even wait for the quarter to end before going to adverts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I went to an NHL game in Minenesota a few years ago and was really confused when half way through the first quarter (about 8 minutes in I think), all the players just stopped and started skating back and forth. My friend then explained that it was the first advert break. They literally couldn't even wait for the quarter to end before going to adverts. 

Power breaks they call it, we have them in Swedish hockey now as well. Then you also have the tactical time out that managers can call so you get a couple additional breaks to spam commercials.

Can totally break the momentum for teams and change the game.

But money.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I live down the street from that arena. Small world.

Am i the only one not concerned about our midfield?

I think Conor has been great since Luiz started playing well.

I actually think our midfield is really good as it is. Samatta is a disaster though.

Edited by villalad21

8 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It’s like the “2 minute warning” in the NFL. Such a load of crap. As if they don’t already have enough time during the game to shove adverts into everyone’s face.  “AND THAT TAKES THE BALL TO THE 15 YARD LINE. THE 15 YARD LINE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY TACO BELL” blah blah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

I live down the street from that arena. Small world.

Can't remember where the NHL stadium was but it seemed nice, smaller than I thought it would be though. That visit we were staying with friend  whose uncle lived about 100 yards from the new NFL stadium (Banks stadium?) and whilst we didn't go in it did look very impressive. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I actually think our midfield is really good as it is. Samatta is a disaster though.

Yes

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Can't remember where the NHL stadium was but it seemed nice, smaller than I thought it would be though. That visit we were staying with friend  whose uncle lived about 100 yards from the new NFL stadium (Banks stadium?) and whilst we didn't go in it did look very impressive. 

Sure, you went to the XCEL Energy Center and saw the outside of US Bank Stadium.

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We need physical presence, and also depth. I'd be happy to start McGinn and Luiz, but it would be great to have another Midfielder that can be what we wanted Nakamba to be. We're too lightweight in the middle.

In our final games after lockdown the drinks break seemed to give me a point to aim for, like getting to halftime without conceding. So I liked it for that and of course the chance for a “comfort break”. Overall though I’m glad it’s going, it just isn’t and shouldn’t be a part of football. 

• Like 2

Â