Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Some interesting info there... Also can't believe only 7 teams have currently been in the top flight for 10 or more consecutive years.

Wouldn't mind seeing blackburn, sheff wed and derby returning next season, replacing palace, brighton and Fulham. Would have a nice old school feel to the league

Wimbledon, queens park rangers, coventry, Ipswich, Oldham, Middlesbrough could be thrown into that mix though couldnt they??

Would have the 90s feel all over again.

Edited by Dave-R

On 05/08/2020 at 16:23, MarkLillis said:

Interesting stat. You can bet the majority of Football fans don't know that Burnley have been in the top flight for more seasons than Leeds or Leicester.

But.... But..... But... Leeds are a giant of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So they keep telling us...yet no body else gives a F***

A lot of people also think Forest are a massive club down on their luck but they've had less top flight seasons than Blues and are a long long way behind such clubs as Derby, Bolton and Blackburn. 

Palace and Fulham stick in my throat.  Hardly any top flight history whatsoever but because of the dominance of London they are now becoming top flight regulars. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If you're going to have a drinks break, you're not playing 2 halves, you're playing 4 quarters.

I don't agree with it at all, but I can see it becoming a thing for advertising.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22673-1375696504-15

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If you're going to have a drinks break, you're not playing 2 halves, you're playing 4 quarters.

I don't agree with it at all, but I can see it becoming a thing for advertising.

I agree that we shouldn’t have it. It becomes a game of three quarters and enables managers and coaches to have a mini pep talk to the team as well as disrupting the flow of a game that has its advantages and disadvantages depending on how the game is going. You get the feeling that this will benefit the better teams more than the rest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

A lot of people also think Forest are a massive club down on their luck but they've had less top flight seasons than Blues and are a long long way behind such clubs as Derby, Bolton and Blackburn. 

If you remove the Revie and Clough years from Leeds and Forest they have both had a history mainly in the 2nd division. 

Last time Leeds were in the top flight we had Darius Vassell up front and for Forest it was even longer that I think Bosnich was our goalkeeper

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zab6359 said:

A ruling that actually helps us rather than the top clubs, so glad that's gone!

That's because the clubs had to vote on it with a 2/3rds majority to keep it :)

5 hours ago, roonst83 said:

I agree that we shouldn’t have it. It becomes a game of three quarters and enables managers and coaches to have a mini pep talk to the team as well as disrupting the flow of a game that has its advantages and disadvantages depending on how the game is going. You get the feeling that this will benefit the better teams more than the rest. 

A game of three quarters explains a lot. I think we have been playing three quarters for a while now, given how many goals we concede in the fourth quarter that we just haven’t bothered with. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Wimbledon, queens park rangers, coventry, Ipswich, Oldham, Middlesbrough could be thrown into that mix though couldnt they??

Would have the 90s feel all over again.

Yes, would welcome some nostalgia, if only because we were a decent team back in those days. 

Although, Wimbledon, Ipswich and Oldham would do well to get to the PL next season, given they're not in the Championship. I think Sheff Wed have a point deduction hanging over them too so can't see them making the playoffs next season. 

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

A game of three quarters explains a lot. I think we have been playing three quarters for a while now, given how many goals we concede in the fourth quarter that we just haven’t bothered with. 

Ha, absolute fail. I've no idea why I wrote that. Cant even blame that on the auto correct on my phone 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Refs should 100% be looking at the monitors, it gives them another look to see if they screwed a decision up.

I welcome the decision, although I'm certain Kevin Friend would still arrive at this same decision if we looked at the monitor at Palace away. I fear some refs will be too proud to admit their mistakes. Unlikely, I hope, but I wonder if there'll be a hint of that. 

I know Palace away is long gone, but as I was there 5th row from the front I could see Grealish and MacGinn constantly in the ear of the ref and linesman all second half. I felt at the time, and still do, that this contributed to the ref feeling angered by this which contributed, in my opinion, to them punishing us with the foul on Grealish and disallowing Lansbury's goal. And if it's not mandatory for a referee to visit the monitor to verify their own decision then i'm not sure they always will in situations like Palace.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 10:31, roonst83 said:

I welcome the decision, although I'm certain Kevin Friend would still arrive at this same decision if we looked at the monitor at Palace away. I fear some refs will be too proud to admit their mistakes. Unlikely, I hope, but I wonder if there'll be a hint of that. 

I know Palace away is long gone, but as I was there 5th row from the front I could see Grealish and MacGinn constantly in the ear of the ref and linesman all second half. I felt at the time, and still do, that this contributed to the ref feeling angered by this which contributed, in my opinion, to them punishing us with the foul on Grealish and disallowing Lansbury's goal. And if it's not mandatory for a referee to visit the monitor to verify their own decision then i'm not sure they always will in situations like Palace.

This man should never ref a Villa game ever again. Anyone remember that Chelsea game back in 2014(?)? Feel free to choose from: 1. He is paid to make us lose the game, 2. He hates us with a passion.

• Like 3

Â