Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its a farce but a circuit break isn't the answer.. Nobody knows how long this will go on for and then you will have an even bigger pile-up of fixtures later in the season. 

It's a better answer than what is going on now. Most teams are having outbreaks now, which means after 2-3 weeks the outbreaks should be minor

Palace’s request to get their game with Spurs postponed today was rejected. Cynical me thinks that this would probably have been approved if it wasn’t on TV. Would not be surprised if the media companies were having a huge say in what can and can’t be postponed.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

So our game v Leeds is called off because Leeds requested. But Palace v Spurs has to go ahead despite Palace request and their manager missing, and Villa v Chelsea has to go ahead despite multiple squad members plus our manager having Covid.

Great decision-making process from the League. Would love to understand the criteria. Pricks.

they have a criteria dont they? 13 fit outfield players who have played first team football and a goalkeeper. So maybe Leeds didnt meet that criteria

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

they have a criteria dont they? 13 fit outfield players who have played first team football and a goalkeeper. So maybe Leeds didnt meet that criteria

Yeah but we are penalised for fielding some kids against Barrow so under PL rules are deemed in contention in the 13 outfield players.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A circuit breaker only really works if the players and staff are all forced to isolate during it, doesn't it? Not sure there's a legal basis to compel them to do that for the good of their work.

I guess it gives the clubs time to clear positive tests and try to put in a more robust system against spread and ask their player to be stricter. It’s not against the law for them to get pissed the night before a game, but the club will ask them not to.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Its a farce but a circuit break isn't the answer.. Nobody knows how long this will go on for and then you will have an even bigger pile-up of fixtures later in the season. 

Big problem is its just a Premier League issue. Nobody else is calling games off

Imagine Bayern playing once a week then have an English team in Europe who are playing 5 games in 16 days. Be uproar

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Big problem is its just a Premier League issue. Nobody else is calling games off

The EFL are having the same problems. It's certainly an English problem, but not just the Prem.

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

I guess it gives the clubs time to clear positive tests and try to put in a more robust system against spread and ask their player to be stricter. It’s not against the law for them to get pissed the night before a game, but the club will ask them not to.

I'm with @Davkaus on this one. We need to be clear that what clubs and managers are seeming to ask for is a winter break, not a covid circuit breaker. Clubs already have protocols in place to try to reduce transmission at the training ground, and it seems very unlikely to me that there's some sea change in how they operate that they could implement that would drastically reduce transmission of a more infectious variant. So really all that is left is 'asking players to isolate themselves on a precautionary basis', which is certainly something clubs can *ask*, but players are within their rights to refuse to do that. Even if they do, it's just very unlikely that fewer nights out is the answer either. The boring truth is that most covid transmission happens at home or in poorly-ventilated indoor settings where the same group congregate for a while. If a player has a wife who catches it when friends come over, or a kid who catches it at nursery, or whatever else, they can catch it. This variant is particular is racing through the population, footballers are a group like any other, many will test positive.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm with @Davkaus on this one. We need to be clear that what clubs and managers are seeming to ask for is a winter break, not a covid circuit breaker. Clubs already have protocols in place to try to reduce transmission at the training ground, and it seems very unlikely to me that there's some sea change in how they operate that they could implement that would drastically reduce transmission of a more infectious variant. So really all that is left is 'asking players to isolate themselves on a precautionary basis', which is certainly something clubs can *ask*, but players are within their rights to refuse to do that. Even if they do, it's just very unlikely that fewer nights out is the answer either. The boring truth is that most covid transmission happens at home or in poorly-ventilated indoor settings where the same group congregate for a while. If a player has a wife who catches it when friends come over, or a kid who catches it at nursery, or whatever else, they can catch it. This variant is particular is racing through the population, footballers are a group like any other, many will test positive.

I absolutely agree dickhead managers wanting a winter break can **** off.

6 hours ago, est1874 said:

So our game v Leeds is called off because Leeds requested. But Palace v Spurs has to go ahead despite Palace request and their manager missing, and Villa v Chelsea has to go ahead despite multiple squad members plus our manager having Covid.

Great decision-making process from the League. Would love to understand the criteria. Pricks.

I imagine money in the bank and are you one of the “Sky 6” are a large part of it. 

There really IS only one way to go with this Covid crisis in football and that is to be completely fair.Liverpool,Arsenal,The 2 Manchester clubs and Chelsea can field 9 subs while every other team can only have 3.Im sure that will sound fair to the Premier League hirachy.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 13:51, theboyangel said:

Brave and courageous Leeds had no alternative but to postpone etc etc… 

It is a mastermind postponement, let's give Bielsa some credit, what a manager.

• Like 1

Â