Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

In the grand scheme of things its quite irrelevant but maybe a football or sports related thread.

Serie A is going to have a big backlog of games and think Germany and France might have cancellations soon. Have the authorities got a solution. European games would be the big risk in the coming weeks not to mention a bloated Euros in the summer 

• Like 1

Serie A announced today that games will be played, behind closed doors. I think they had to come up with something definitive now because, as you say, the back log would've made it impossible before the Euros.

I'm assuming players/staff are able to travel, given they've not caught it, it'll just be no away fans in most European games, and no fans at all in infected areas? It is a shame that potentially the best Serie A finish in a while, could very well be celebrated in front of nobody.

Coronavirus is my final hope for this season. I hope the outbreak is so bad they have to just void this season.

- Liverpool don't win the league

- Villa don't get relegated

- Leeds don't get promoted

:D 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Coronavirus is my final hope for this season. I hope the outbreak is so bad they have to just void this season.

I'm just hoping the transfer window performs a hard reset and we get our money back. :D

Edited by His Name Is Death

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Imagine they waited 30 years for the title and they have to lift it in an empty stadium with no open top bus tour 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Imagine they waited 30 years for the title and they have to lift it in an empty stadium with no open top bus tour 😂

Beautiful. Actually better than them winning a title again.

Ex Danish international Thomas Kahlenberg is infected, he was in the stands at the Bröndby - Lyngby game in the Danish league on Sunday along with over 16.000 other people.

Understandable that Italy and likely other countries soon to follow will try and avoid scenarios like that.

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I hate that quote. What a load of cobblers.

Probably was to someone like shankly. But if what the experts are saying that it’s just the elderly and people that have underlying health who are at risk of dying from this is it any worse than influenza. 

On 04/03/2020 at 23:06, Wainy316 said:

If the Euros got cancelled do people think they might get rearranged for next summer?

Plan is to have them before Women's Euros which are scheduled for 7 July – 1 August 2021, might squidge them up a bit, or even have them together. Meeting pencilled in at the end of March to decide.

I think it's likely at this stage PL football will be played behind closed doors. 

My boys football team were mascots for the local non league team. They told them before the game that because of the Corona Virus they wouldn’t be able to walk out holding the players hands so would do a guard of honour and applaud them onto the field instead. 
Every single player from both sides gave every player a high five as they came through. So instead of 1 boy not holding the hand of 1 player,  every boy touches hands with 16 players.

Great idea :lol: 

Edited by Genie

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

They bring in no handshakes, yet team mates are giving each other high 5s and hand shakes all game

This seems so stupid to me.

60 thousand people in the crowd (in this country) in close proximity for two hours, hugging and high fiving when a goal goes in.

But the 22 blokes on the pitch aren't allowed to shake hands with the people they'll be touching and high fiving and hanging around with before and after the game

Â