Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

Now that you bring up the Liverpool game, can someone remind/explain to me why that game didn’t get called off in the end? 

we’re seeing games get called off left right and centre when clubs still have over 10 or more senior players available which must have been more than we had at the time of that Liverpool game…

Last year? Different rules for the FA Cup, due to the scheduling restrictions it couldn't be postponed, it was play it or forfeit 

I then think we've got some stupid thing hanging over us for this year where we have our registered 25 man squad but then they're also classing the kids that we used in the league cup in our numbers, so whereas Newcastle they are saying 25 men - corona players - injuries - suspension for us they are saying 25 men + the players from the barrow game - those missing... That sounds like bullshit 

Still hard to believe that project restart didn't put a proper written and agreed rule in along the lines of "5 confirmed cases for either team and the game is off" this is being made up as they go along 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t argue though having only 4 outfield players training today

But how many are covid and how many are injuries? 

And injuries should not be a thing, that's always happened and teams have been made to use reserve / youth players, it is what it is 

It feels like teams are blagging it because the PLs rules are woolly

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But how many are covid and how many are injuries? 

And injuries should not be a thing, that's always happened and teams have been made to use reserve / youth players, it is what it is 

It feels like teams are blagging it because the PLs rules are woolly

1) assuming 4 goalkeepers in the squad, that means in a 25 man squad with only four outfield players available it means 17 unavailable. Either they are the unluckiest team ever with 16 injuries and 1 Covid or there are quite a few with Covid….surely?

2) so what would you do, just give Leicester a 3-0 automatic win? Or play the kids which will likely yield the same result.  Cup games I almost get because it only really impacts one team like us in the cup against Liverpool or Spurs in their game this season but in the league it’s one step further that it not only impacts the two teams playing but teams around them in the league for placings.

I think it’s hard to exclude injuries in this equation because you have a squad to cover injuries but when you add Covid to it, the team is robbed twice of available players.  I think we just have to accept we are in a strange moment and there is no right answer.  If you only determine if a game is called off because of Covid out players and not injuries then it adds to it being more of a farce imo.

7 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

My Dad used to always say to me Football is fixed and I would adamantly deny it was… now as I get older and wiser I realise he made a valid point. 

Yep its definitely fixed. VAR has just made it worse

Strange the international tournaments is the only one when referees are more neutral 

21 hours ago, villa89 said:

The pandemic will be over by march/april. Covid is basically already just another head cold. It will just be another flu like virus in circulation that mutates. It's time the world moved on. 

So,how many players are going to play with a head cold? or just not feeling 100% ? Mind you if players do that then there will be no need for pstponments and we will have a nearly normal season again where every team is on the same page.

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

1) assuming 4 goalkeepers in the squad, that means in a 25 man squad with only four outfield players available it means 17 unavailable. Either they are the unluckiest team ever with 16 injuries and 1 Covid or there are quite a few with Covid….surely?

2) so what would you do, just give Leicester a 3-0 automatic win? Or play the kids which will likely yield the same result.  Cup games I almost get because it only really impacts one team like us in the cup against Liverpool or Spurs in their game this season but in the league it’s one step further that it not only impacts the two teams playing but teams around them in the league for placings.

I think it’s hard to exclude injuries in this equation because you have a squad to cover injuries but when you add Covid to it, the team is robbed twice of available players.  I think we just have to accept we are in a strange moment and there is no right answer.  If you only determine if a game is called off because of Covid out players and not injuries then it adds to it being more of a farce imo.

I suspect all the extra injuries squads are seeing are also because of COVID but indirectly. Teams are not able to train to their usual schedule, they have to stop start, isolate etc and it disrupts their fitness. On top of that we had no summer break last summer because we had to extend the season  to make up for the last COVID pause.

I don’t think it is coincidence that so many squads are decimated and struggling to field a team. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t know how transparent teams need to be about injuries but, to be honest, I find the clamour to have teams messing around with youth kids in order to fulfil fixtures pretty distasteful.

I can't really get on board with this. Firstly, we are mostly not talking about *kids* but about adults, many of whom are several years older than eg Carney Chukwuemeka. I know Leeds did put a 15 year old on their bench, but that was a noteworthy outlier (and Leeds in general seem to have an almost negligently small squad which might even suggest a need for minimum numbers in the future). Secondly, most of these younger players are *absolutely desperate* for a chance to demonstrate what they can do in a televised, competitive game on the big stage. Thirdly, as mentioned above, if covid didn't exist, clubs would use their youth players when short on numbers. Fourth, fans often want to see youth products given a chance.

The fundamental issue is that football managers are *extremely* risk-averse, in general. This is fair enough really, when you can go from winning manager of the month one month to being sacked a month or two later, but the idea that clubs would rather postpone fixtures rather than trust the players they have been developing (for over a decade in many cases) is pretty embarrassing.

• Like 3

Â