Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

I’ve bought my 10 year old tickets to the United home game in Jan for part of his Christmas present…no point in giving them to him is there if I’m going to have to tell him he can’t go a few days later. Better buy him something else and if we can go, it’s a bonus.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Reading some of the stuff in the press conferences from the bigger teams today, it seems that what they actually want is a winter break. They don't seem to be concerned about the effect of Covid on games and on their players, they seem to be worried about the effect of games on their players - it's a Christmas break Klopp wants, not a Covid break.

Tarts.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Reading some of the stuff in the press conferences from the bigger teams today, it seems that what they actually want is a winter break. They don't seem to be concerned about the effect of Covid on games and on their players, they seem to be worried about the effect of games on their players - it's a Christmas break Klopp wants, not a Covid break.

Tarts.

Didn’t get their way with 5 subs so let’s throw our toys out of the pram and moan, moan, moan. 

53 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tarts

I am in favour of a winter break. I mean I get they're essentially looking after their own interests, but a break after New Year's Day games or FA Cup 3rd round would be a good idea for the Prem (in normal times). Players recovering from tiredness and injuries, avoiding the coldest part of the year for fans.

It would let lower leagues garner a few more spectators, too, if they carried on playing.

As for Covid, I guess the stronger clubs believe they can still maintain their advantages because of the stronger squad depths they have, so they won't care about that.

Tarts.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He is a class manager no doubt. But a classless person, always has been,

Tbh I’m still a fan. He’s one of the only managers who’s taken a strong stand in favour of vaccinations which is what we need right now. I wouldn’t mind seeing nutjob moyes banned from the game for what he said the other week 

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yep, there already is a winter break in mid/late Jan.  Every team gets at least 2 weeks off without ANY football games scheduled.    

It’s staggered so not all the teams have a winter break at the same time.

There's 2 options for teams with the big squads like Liverpool, Chelsea, City.

There's the staggered 2 week break in the end of Jan + early Jan FACup 3rd round weekend is another opportunity to rest some players with 2 weeks between PL games. He could quite easily rest his big players for 10 days whilst sending the reserves to beat Shrewsbury in the FACup.

Of course Klopp cries about burnout then decides to play his full strength 11 against Villa under 12's.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s a bit of a farce, can’t create a game plan because you don’t know whose available or even if the game will go ahead.  Trying to train tactics for a particular game throughout the week that may change based on whose available.  It’s not a matter of just picking a team on match day for this level of competition, meticulous planning goes into it but that’s thrown up in the air at the moment.  Depending on whose available could change approach, particular plays and/or many other things.  All goes against the integrity of the competition and the fairness of the competition but money rules I suppose!

It's a good point.  Steve Bruce would be perfect for this sort of match!

Â