Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Hopefully a few of the players who's PCR tests came back positive on Saturday will be available with a negative test on Christmas day. The isolation rules being 7 days now. 

Whatever way things go, we don't really have a chance of Europe this season and we should be top half finish hopefully. So if younger players get more game time then that's a positive in itself

It has to be difficult as managers right now to plan for a game not knowing who will play or who the opposition might play.

You could train all week have specific tactics and instructions prepared for a game only for the player to have to isolate a few hours before. You're then left with a replacement who isn't going to be prepared or you have to spend the time putting in the extra hours ensuring they are ready too. No wonder le looks knackered. 

On 21/12/2021 at 00:13, The Fun Factory said:

Which makes you wonder why the Premier League and EFL didn't do the same today. It is just leading to more uncertainty. 

That is for the government to decide, not the football organisations.

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

He said one of the players was scared to get out of his car the other day because he had symptoms

Shows how severe it is now 

Weird one. If they were that scared and they also had symptoms, why did they get in the car to drive to the club in the first place.

Stay at home my guy and don't take anybody else out with you!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Same for a lot of people mate. All showing negative too which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the test. Symptoms on the NHS site have not been updated since before Delta so a lot are expecting the loss of taste and smell symptoms, which doesn't necessarily happen with Omicron, before getting a test. It's much more a standard cold profile. Also upper respiratory tract infection rather than lower in the lungs apparently.

But yes, a lot of very tired people around... 

I remember during last match, a few fans saying " I wouldn't be surprised if there are some more positives coming up ", as certain players looked exhausted earlier.

Yeah it's a weird one.

Proper Sci Fi move times we are living in lol.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 07:43, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'll ever get FA Cup replays back and I think that's a real shame.

It's big clubs getting rid of games that aren't profitable for them (but mean a huge amount to small clubs) and clearing out the calendar a little to help the teams that are in European competition continue to be able to win everything. 

Disaster capitalism by the Premier league; using a crisis to engineer a change that would otherwise be met with huge opposition.

I am in two minds on this. Whilst it will be  a blow for the smaller teams not to get a replay, it would make the cup weekend clean and definitive knowing who is in the next round.

The replays has had a slow, painful death. Starting from 1 replay only after Arsenal played Leeds until the end of time in the early 90s, no semi final replays (Giggs, Villa Park,  chest hair forest) to no replays from the quarter finals. It has been a long drawn out mess

They should change the rules to make any side league one or below be able to get all the gate and tv receipts for the match or something like that in compensation.

It would be hard to schedule but I would put the league cup final in December like they do in Scotland to get it out of the way and make it all FA Cup from January.

1 hour ago, GrassyNoel said:

Same for a lot of people mate. All showing negative too which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the test. Symptoms on the NHS site have not been updated since before Delta so a lot are expecting the loss of taste and smell symptoms, which doesn't necessarily happen with Omicron, before getting a test. It's much more a standard cold profile. Also upper respiratory tract infection rather than lower in the lungs apparently.

But yes, a lot of very tired people around... 

Well I will be tired and emotional quite soon.

• Haha 2

i hope that everyone gets good notice if our game gets postponed. it's one thing to have spent last saturday travelling for no reason, but to waste boxing day is a different story

any doubt, just call the game off

Upcoming football postponements

Liverpool v Leeds - Sunday December 26 - Premier League

Wolves v Watford - Sunday December 26 - Premier League

Barnsley v Stoke City - Sunday December 26 - Championship

Cardiff City v Coventry City - Sunday December 26 - Championship

Preston North End v Sheffield United - Sunday December 26 - Championship

Reading v Peterborough United - Sunday December 26 - Championship

Bolton Wanderers v Morecambe - Sunday December 26 - League One

Gillingham v Ipswich Town - Sunday December 26 - League One

Portsmouth v Oxford United- Sunday December 26 - League One

Sheffield Wednesday v Burton Albion - Sunday December 26 - League One

Wycombe Wanderers v Cambridge United - Sunday December 26 - League One

Bristol Rovers v Sutton United - Sunday December 26 - League Two

Bradford City v Harrogate Town - Sunday December 26 - League Two

Exeter City v Swindon Town - Sunday December 26 - League Two

Newport County v Forest Green Rovers - Sunday December 26 - League Two

Northampton Town v Walsall - Sunday December 26 - League Two

Stevenage v Crawley Town - Sunday December 26 - League Two

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

It sounds like the stress of preparing his team with the covid tests has been weighing on him, probably a lot of organising and reorganising to do with loads of staff missing. Kind of thing you don’t think about a football manager having to deal with but sounds like he’s doing everything he can to keep us as prepared as possible. He’s a great character. That, or he’s got covid 😁

just all becoming a little silly and unbalanced competitive wise.

Â