Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

If we think back to when J Ramsey started making appearances in the first team, a lot on here (probably myself included) we’re saying the exact same comments.  

“Can’t see him making it, doesn’t impress me, what does he offer, etc etc”.

Chuk is 18 and if he stays will be a lot stronger mentally and physically next season. I honestly wouldn’t judge his ability to perform just yet.

• Like 1

Chuk is a baller - he has the unique ability to slow the game down, play at his own pace. He glides on the ball. Knows how to finish too. The ceiling for him is huge. I’m very confident that in a few months, especially if he stays, we will see him develop massively. Gerrard has said, if you’re good enough, irrespective of age, you will get game time. Hence why we have 5 subs next year. He’s going to be a rotating 10 if the contract situation is resolved. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Yes he's 18 and a bit raw but I didn't see too much to impress me last night.

What impresses me about him is that he's not scared to fire passes at pace to team mates, he always looks forward when he has the ball, he isn't scared to pass into tight spaces and he's willing to dribble forward with the ball at his feet. If he can mature and learn a few of the dark arts he could really be a proper player. He doesn't just pass the ball sideways like a lot of modern midfielders. 

Please read pages 63/64/65 from the Ramsey thread. People writing him off at the end of his first season. We all said he then needed to go on loan this season. He won players player of the season and young player of the season.

Remember he had a loan the season prior to last season. He was a year older than Chuk last season too. So people need to just be patient and let him develop 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He made absolutely zero impact didn't he and I've been someone willing Gerrard to put his selection where his mouth is.

Ings started I'm inclined to agree we win.

I don't 

They played a well disciplined back 3/5 there was no space up top, all the space was in midfield, hence why the majority of our shots were from distance, Ings would have joined Watkins in struggling to get on the ball in space 

The change we should have made was pushing the midfield higher up, our goal came from 2 midfielders making a run in to the box, should have done that all game 

We had so much of the ball we just needed to have it higher up 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I don't 

They played a well disciplined back 3/5 there was no space up top, all the space was in midfield, hence why the majority of our shots were from distance, Ings would have joined Watkins in struggling to get on the ball in space 

The change we should have made was pushing the midfield higher up, our goal came from 2 midfielders making a run in to the box, should have done that all game 

We had so much of the ball we just needed to have it higher up 

I think Ings has much better movement he had 2 chances within 10 mins

One dropping off and one getting in behind. I think he has a bit of everything.

For his career, I think it was a good idea to give him a chance as if he does have his head screwed on, it will be a humbling experience - getting hooked on 55 minutes says a lot. Needs a loan to the championship, I think. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For me, it's not about his skillset , it's about his " application ".

If this is his " playing style " it will require him to be alot more intelligent.

I think it looks worse than it is. His pressures per 90, for example, are actually quite high (2nd in the squad). Granted low amount of minutes and so on to be quoting stats, but I think his long lanky build and the ease at which he moves gives people preconceptions of how much he is doing. Unlike someone like me who would likely need a lie down after climbing a flight of stairs, Carney would probably just float up the stairs. He glides along, looking like he isn't moving but still people don't seem to be able to catch him when he gets going.

• Like 1

Fans using Ramsey as an example are wide of the mark imo. Ramsey didn’t have anywhere near the confidence as this lad but what he did have was drive and determination. I simply don’t see this in Carney, he can have all the ability in the world but without a bit of drive it’s pointless. My biggest worry is that players can improve their game but some just don’t have that fire in their bellies. 

22 minutes ago, WHY said:

Fans using Ramsey as an example are wide of the mark imo. Ramsey didn’t have anywhere near the confidence as this lad but what he did have was drive and determination. I simply don’t see this in Carney, he can have all the ability in the world but without a bit of drive it’s pointless. My biggest worry is that players can improve their game but some just don’t have that fire in their bellies. 

How are you going to know what his drive and determination is? You want him running around like McGinn or Buendia is it? Because then visually you can see "look at his determination". 

Drive and determination are seen on the training pitch. Week in week out. The Gym, the extra training. Arriving early. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 4

As I don't go to games now nor watch the youth team perhaps I was influenced by the hype by some and therefore I was expecting some kind of wonder kid, in Bellingham type performances.

OK, let's work on him in the summer and give him more exposure 

Chuk reminds 

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

How are you going to know what his drive and determination is? You want him running around like McGinn or Buendia is it? Because then visually you can see "look at his determination". 

Drive and determination are seen on the training pitch. Week in week out. The Gym, the extra training. Arriving early. 

He reminds me of Pogba a bit when he plays.

He looks a lot like Ramsey last year to me in that the main thing he’s thinking about is not making mistakes. That’s not ideal as a no.10 but I think these starts are about building experience into him more than him having a chance to burst on to the scene like Rooney or Owen. 

It’s very difficult to judge him as a player right now but I hope we keep him and we find a club that will play him every game next season. From what I’ve seen I’d be amazed if a Bundesliga team would start him every game, he seems a way off that yet so I don’t really see any benefit in him going elsewhere. 

As much as he might have loads of people around him telling him he’s brilliant these next two years will be toughest of his career because it isn’t about talk, it’s about doing it on the biggest stage. 

• Like 1

Â