Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

A lot of emotions on this thread which seems to have blinded people to some important issues.

Firstly it’s important that Carney signs because otherwise the long term strategy of the club is in tatters regardless of whether he goes on to make it or not. He was the best prospect from the FA Youth Cup win last season. If the club can’t keep hold of him when they want to then it calls into question the whole long term strategy of looking to compete with the big boys through developing our own superstars. This is the long term plan for sustainability. That plan only works if top youth talent is going to stay on with us.The owners can’t continue with the current levels of investment in the first team in the long term as there’s no return and we will have problems with FFP. So we need this to work.

Secondly perhaps because there is so much emotion but we don’t seem to be viewing his performances objectively. Nobody seems to have mentioned his role in Buendia’s goal against Burnley but he made a little dart which took the central defender out of the way so that Buendia was free to score. 

He isn’t a natural presser of the ball but over the course of the season has improved and is clearly putting the effort in. Currently his positioning isn’t always right for the collective press. However He is making progress off the ball which is necessary if he’s to make it.

He hasn’t yet started to express himself and show what he can really do in possession. At youth level he is incredible driving with the ball with a nice weight of pass and an eye for a goal. In youth games,  he’s got a great physicality coupled with a superb technique which elevates him above his peers.  He has clearly been working in the gym to try to make the jump necessary to be physically imposing at first team level. That’s going to take a while but if he continues he should be in a place to start showing us what he can do on the ball. And if he begins doing that we will have an incredible player on our hands. So far he hasn’t done it and some great prospects never do but he is still very young.

We should also remember how long it took Jacob Ramsey to start to show what he could do. He played a fair bit last season but didn’t really bring much to the team beyond energy and the pressures which go with it plus tidy but not incisive passing. This season he has really kicked on. We should be hoping for the same from Carney.

Finally (and this is pure speculation) I think that he has already signed and that is why we’ve seen him back in the first team. 

23 minutes ago, mallett said:

A lot of emotions on this thread which seems to have blinded people to some important issues.

Firstly it’s important that Carney signs because otherwise the long term strategy of the club is in tatters regardless of whether he goes on to make it or not. He was the best prospect from the FA Youth Cup win last season. If the club can’t keep hold of him when they want to then it calls into question the whole long term strategy of looking to compete with the big boys through developing our own superstars. This is the long term plan for sustainability. That plan only works if top youth talent is going to stay on with us.The owners can’t continue with the current levels of investment in the first team in the long term as there’s no return and we will have problems with FFP. So we need this to work.

Secondly perhaps because there is so much emotion but we don’t seem to be viewing his performances objectively. Nobody seems to have mentioned his role in Buendia’s goal against Burnley but he made a little dart which took the central defender out of the way so that Buendia was free to score. 

He isn’t a natural presser of the ball but over the course of the season has improved and is clearly putting the effort in. Currently his positioning isn’t always right for the collective press. However He is making progress off the ball which is necessary if he’s to make it.

He hasn’t yet started to express himself and show what he can really do in possession. At youth level he is incredible driving with the ball with a nice weight of pass and an eye for a goal. In youth games,  he’s got a great physicality coupled with a superb technique which elevates him above his peers.  He has clearly been working in the gym to try to make the jump necessary to be physically imposing at first team level. That’s going to take a while but if he continues he should be in a place to start showing us what he can do on the ball. And if he begins doing that we will have an incredible player on our hands. So far he hasn’t done it and some great prospects never do but he is still very young.

We should also remember how long it took Jacob Ramsey to start to show what he could do. He played a fair bit last season but didn’t really bring much to the team beyond energy and the pressures which go with it plus tidy but not incisive passing. This season he has really kicked on. We should be hoping for the same from Carney.

Finally (and this is pure speculation) I think that he has already signed and that is why we’ve seen him back in the first team. 

the key difference between the two is that JJ did not play silly buggers over a new contract, wanting big money and assurances of first team football. he just got on with it, and signed a new deal with little issue. SG himself said (or had a dig?) that JJ's representatives were a joy to deal with

carney is getting judged because he/his agent believes he should be on 40k a week and a regular first teamer

• Like 2

On 21/05/2022 at 02:55, sheepyvillian said:

I thought he tried too hard on Thursday night. Should have just stuck with the basics instead of attempting fancy flicks. The problem with that is when they don't come off your confidence becomes affected and the simple things suddenly become difficult. 

Absolutely ridiculous to hear posters writing an 18yr old kid off on the back of that performance. Where's peoples perspective? 

I don't think folk are writing him off......just questioning the possible hype, of the player, and confused by the reluctance to sign a new contract, when th club feel their offer is fair.

Edited by TRO

On 21/05/2022 at 07:51, DCJonah said:

People seem annoyed that he's not on track to become an all time great player. 

How many kids dominate in this league at 18 after 2 starts?

People need to get a grip. 

I think the frustration is borne out of over rating players.....that's where the expectation comes from.

It seems to me he is negotiating like he is Jude Bellingham and he is clearly not...judging by what we have seen so far....However his cameo against Man City was encouraging.

But you are right.....at 18 anything can happen.

I think in some ways with Burnley having so many players behind the ball and being discplined in their set up may actually have been one of the harder games for him to showcase his talents.

Against other teams, perhaps, when he is given more space it is easier for his game to flourish.

At 18 he is a supreme talent we need to keep hold off and I really hope we do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

the key difference between the two is that JJ did not play silly buggers over a new contract, wanting big money and assurances of first team football. he just got on with it, and signed a new deal with little issue. SG himself said (or had a dig?) that JJ's representatives were a joy to deal with

carney is getting judged because he/his agent believes he should be on 40k a week and a regular first teamer

We don't really know, what the real issues are, but Villa are not known for being difficult in contract renewals.

I suspect there is a disparity in Carneys valuation, between him and the club.

He could turn out to be a superstar......but the signs are not there yet for me.

Its a fair shout not to over burden him with hype.....but maybe he is doing that to himself with his possible contact negotiations.

surely, if he produces the form in the future, most fans was hoping for, its normal for contract improvements to be forthcoming.....I guess, I just don't know what the problem is.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think in some ways with Burnley having so many players behind the ball and being discplined in their set up may actually have been one of the harder games for him to showcase his talents.

Against other teams, perhaps, when he is given more space it is easier for his game to flourish.

At 18 he is a supreme talent we need to keep hold off and I really hope we do.

fair shout.

21 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Bellingham is a potential future Ballon d'Or winner IMO.

To be fair, it is picking out one of the best young talents around.....but maybe Carney is comparing himself to Jude, could be a problem too.

but there are other huge young talents around too.

Barça continue planning the future and combing the market in search of interesting players for Xavi Hernandez's project. According to the programme Què t'hi Jugues, on Cadena SER, this Tuesday Mateu Alemany and Jordi Cruyff met with the agent of Aston Villa's pearl, the young midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka, a promising 18-year-old player.

At this meeting, Barça's sporting management inquired about Chukwuemeka's contractual situation and noted that right now the club cannot afford to pay for his transfer, despite the fact that he is a player with a very promising future. 

He is an 18-year-old Austrian-born player of Nigerian origin with a British passport who is already on the books of other Premiership giants such as Arsenal. He has a contract until 2023, so if he does not renew, he could arrive at Camp Nou in a year's time at zero cost. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

So most likely "if Carney doesn't accept Villa's new contract, we will sign him on a free next summer"

• Like 1

If Carney can't be persuaded by this ownership, he can't be helped.

These teams...Dortmund, Barca, whoever. He won't be playing in their first team either. He isn't a Jude Bellingham ready to compete physically yet.

I'd also be surprised if they'll pay him more than us to be totally honest.

• Like 2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

If Carney can't be persuaded by this ownership, he can't be helped.

These teams...Dortmund, Barca, whoever. He won't be playing in their first team either. He isn't a Jude Bellingham ready to compete physically yet.

I'd also be surprised if they'll pay him more than us to be totally honest.

his agent is desperate to move carney on for whatever reason.

carney obviously is happy to go along with it otherwise he'd just find himself new representation. shame.

• Like 1

Â