Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

I don't think people realise just how hard it is for a teenager to start a premier league game. He clearly has a lot of talent and hopefully he does tie down his future with the club. He has gone from FA Youth Cup Winner to regular first team match day squad member in less than a year.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes it is......and its their jobs on the line.

I try to look back at what other players of a similar age were like when they made their debuts.....and irrespective of their position, what impact they made, is what I try to evaluate.

• Gareth Barry
  • Sid Cowans
  • Gary Shaw
  • Brian Little
  • Ugo Ehiogu
  • Jack Grealish

Remember watching Barry’s first few games for us and you could see instantly he had a future. He was so composed on the ball and it looked effortless for him even at a young age. He was just a natural footballer who made the game look easy. He didn’t over complicate things and given he never really relied on pace it’s little surprise he played for so long. Vastly underrated imo, he was a fantastic footballer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Wasnt Grealish on loan at Notts County at that age? This is a wasted season for Carney. Hes not good enough to be in our first team yet and would have been better served learning his trade on loan like Archer, Barry etc. Stop worrying about cintracts and focus on playing football. 

Yeah, he came back at the end of the season then came on against city for a few minutes when we got battered three or four nil.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we had an 18 year old who could wow us with his 2nd or so senior start, he simply wouldn't be at our club. 

If we had an 18 year old, who wasn't wowing us, with his appearances, but still refusing to sign a contract, maybe he shouldn't be at our club.

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Remember watching Barry’s first few games for us and you could see instantly he had a future. He was so composed on the ball and it looked effortless for him even at a young age. He was just a natural footballer who made the game look easy. He didn’t over complicate things and given he never really relied on pace it’s little surprise he played for so long. Vastly underrated imo, he was a fantastic footballer. 

ditto.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't think people realise just how hard it is for a teenager to start a premier league game. He clearly has a lot of talent and hopefully he does tie down his future with the club. He has gone from FA Youth Cup Winner to regular first team match day squad member in less than a year.

Isn't that a good enough reason to sign on?.....what more can the club do in terms of grounding/nurturing.

Edited by TRO

I thought he tried too hard on Thursday night. Should have just stuck with the basics instead of attempting fancy flicks. The problem with that is when they don't come off your confidence becomes affected and the simple things suddenly become difficult. 

Absolutely ridiculous to hear posters writing an 18yr old kid off on the back of that performance. Where's peoples perspective? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes it is......and its their jobs on the line.

I try to look back at what other players of a similar age were like when they made their debuts.....and irrespective of their position, what impact they made, is what I try to evaluate.

• Gareth Barry
  • Sid Cowans
  • Gary Shaw
  • Brian Little
  • Ugo Ehiogu
  • Jack Grealish
  • Mark Walters
  • Tony Daley

Ugo  Ehiogu had one of the worse debuts I've seen from a Villa player. 

We got hammered 4 - 1 at home by Norwich. He was shocking.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought he tried too hard on Thursday night. Should have just stuck with the basics instead of attempting fancy flicks. The problem with that is when they don't come off your confidence becomes affected and the simple things suddenly become difficult. 

Absolutely ridiculous to hear posters writing an 18yr old kid off on the back of that performance. Where's peoples perspective? 

Are people writing him off though? Yes he’s 18, yes he’s probably got loads of potential but we’ve given an awful lot of first team minutes to a kid with potential who blatantly needs a loan to really test and develop him. He doesn’t look ready for PL to me and I feel, and I may well be wrong, that he’s had us over a barrel with this contract situation.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

If we had an 18 year old, who wasn't wowing us, with his appearances, but still refusing to sign a contract, maybe he shouldn't be at our club.

Take away the word refused

He's still negotiating his contract with us.... 

Too many fans are getting their knickers wet over his contract and being overly negative about him 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Are people writing him off though? Yes he’s 18, yes he’s probably got loads of potential but we’ve given an awful lot of first team minutes to a kid with potential who blatantly needs a loan to really test and develop him. He doesn’t look ready for PL to me and I feel, and I may well be wrong, that he’s had us over a barrel with this contract situation.

I think SG knows a thing or two about young midfielders and their potential. If he thinks this kid's future is with us, then I'm happy to trust his judgement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WooJung said:

People aren't annoyed at his performance. People are annoyed at his attitude to the contract renewal, and even more so in light of his performance.

Which is the part that is a bit pathetic when you think about it. Why should a bunch of guys on a forum care whether some teenager who doesn’t know their names gets paid 10% more or less when he might turn out to be a bargain or a flop at either number… 

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Bellingham is a potential future Ballon d'Or winner IMO.

Former Ballon D'Or winners agree with you

Trophée Kopa 2021 votes by the previous Ballon d'Or winners since 1960. :  r/soccer

As do the journalists that cover football

Golden Boy Award candidate player value list: Pedri is at the top of the  list with 80 million euros, and Saka comes second - iMedia

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Former Ballon D'Or winners agree with you

Trophée Kopa 2021 votes by the previous Ballon d'Or winners since 1960. :  r/soccer

As do the journalists that cover football

Golden Boy Award candidate player value list: Pedri is at the top of the  list with 80 million euros, and Saka comes second - iMedia

Is that first one former winners voting for who they think are the best players under 21 then?

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Is that first one former winners voting for who they think are the best players under 21 then?

Yep. Former Ballon D'Or winners according to wikipedia.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Thanks 1

Â