Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

56 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Because so far he's signed 2 players for big fees and on high wages that are about to turn 29 and 30. He's put our record signing on the bench a lot when he really needs to gel into the team, pretty clear why most will see it this way so far. 

Gerrard has no interest in the future of Aston Villa, he wants to manage Liverpool and in order to do that he needs to turn Villa from midtable into European challengers, that's very difficult to do while giving youth players minutes and it's not really in his interest to take that risk.

The comment you replied to highlights how this is not the case. The narrative around youth because he signed two older proven players is ridiculous

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Based on what? Recent games disprove your point with Iroegbunam starting over Nakamba Vs Burnley and Carney over Sanson tonight. Continued to build the team around Ramsey… Given JPB (4) minutes … Promoted O’Reilly, Feeney, Chrisene to the matchday squad.

It truly baffles me that Gerrard can be judged & questioned on his policies towards youth just 25 games in… Plus, this ridiculous notion that he has been brought in by Purslow & will disregard NWSE & CO’s repeated mantra of youth being central & essential to the long term success of the club…. 

This. Carneys had decent minutes against city and Liverpool, and people are still suggesting Gerrard isn’t going to bring through our youth players. 

• Thanks 1

I've still got misgivings about aspects of Gerrard's management myself, but I don't think giving chances to youth players is a major thing to knock him on at this stage. I would say he gives chances to them at roughly the same rate as Smith, maybe slightly higher actually (although he's had the benefit of coming in slightly further down the road in their progression).

I hope we see Carney at the weekend, and I think we will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

If his performance tonight leads to him being given more minutes and then to him signing a new deal because of that then him coming on will be more than worth it many times over. Truth is Liverpool probably would have found a way of winning with or without the change.

I think this was probably the thinking behind the move.

Yesteeday showed the carney isnt as goid as he thinks he is right now. Played ok but made some mistakes which can be expected consideing his age and the level of opposition. 

Gerrard for me is handling him excellently.  Saying this is the roadmap for you giving him tasters. If he refuses to sign thats on him not gerrard.

He has given youth a chance as shown with timmy and JJ. Also having players like christene, feeny on the bench. 

• Like 4

After weeks of not a sniff he's had good game time in the last 2 games. Has he signed a new deal that's not bee revealed yet, or it's close now? 

• Like 1

I always just think Sanson must be sad when Carney comes on and Morgan doesn't get a sniff. I think he has more to offer at the moment. 

Smith really liked to stack players up in positions where we have options (but of captain hindsight here).

Edited by Rolta

Was this a final roll of the dice to try and get him to sign a deal? Placing him in the pecking order ahead of Sanson, Tim and Chambers.

I thought it was a very attacking sub, which I don't hate even if it didn't work.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Was this a final roll of the dice to try and get him to sign a deal? Placing him in the pecking order ahead of Sanson, Tim and Chambers.

I thought it was a very attacking sub, which I don't hate even if it didn't work.

I too thought this, it felt like a positive move to bring off a midfielder who is limited in what he can offer us when we are in possession.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think it’s looking more positive that he is going to sign.

I see it that way - it was a brave sub and proactive. Heck of an endorsement from Gerrard. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yesteeday showed the carney isnt as goid as he thinks he is right now. Played ok but made some mistakes which can be expected consideing his age and the level of opposition. 

Gerrard for me is handling him excellently.  Saying this is the roadmap for you giving him tasters. If he refuses to sign thats on him not gerrard.

He has given youth a chance as shown with timmy and JJ. Also having players like christene, feeny on the bench. 

Agree with this - think it was a ploy that we were going to benefit from either way. If he impacts the game, then we really see that we have a player in our hands, if he doesn't, then maybe he'll realise where he's at in the grand scheme of things. Either way he gets minutes.

He's got the talent, physique and skill but he's chronically lazy. Just walks around the pitch and occasionally ambles into a position to receive the ball. I dont know who was coaching him but they should have been screaming at him to get that laziness out of his game. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

tbf giving him time against such top quality opponents in a match that really doesn't matter all that much to us is good for his development. 

Our issue was, Nakamba couldn't continue. Chambers was not the person to come on in that position. Tim Irogebunam has only just made his debut. 

Of the options available Luiz to 6 was the call to make. He's played countless games there and was playing well at the time. I'm sure Gerrard still wanted to win the game too. 

Liverpool have a fantastic squad who have played together a lot. We have gaps in ours. We are a work in progress.

100% this. Carney grew into the game against one of the best teams in the world. I hope it shows how he wants to stay. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He's got the talent, physique and skill but he's chronically lazy. Just walks around the pitch and occasionally ambles into a position to receive the ball. I dont know who was coaching him but they should have been screaming at him to get that laziness out of his game. 

This was my takeaway too, glad I'm not alone in my opinion of him last night. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

i just think he's got a languid style about him, looks lazy and relaxed when he's not, he's like the opposite of mcginn who permanently looks like he's busting a gut and blowing out of his ass

got a touch of ozil about him, it will be a stick to beat him with his whole career

• Like 1

Â