Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

13 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Interesting. This whole time I've thought languid meant a more relaxed, effortless, breeze-like quality to movement. 

Exactly how every article on Johan Cruyff used it. Some dictionaries acknowledge the positive angle, while others list only negative examples (I would suggest it is the latter that need to catch up with its modern usage, especially in a sporting context).

• Like 1

White players with a certain languidity (yeah that's not a word) that I can think of are Matic and Carrick. Always seem to be in the right part of the pitch without seemingly busting a gut.

Have to remember that a player will generally be in the area of the pitch that the coaching staff tell them to be. Fans will sometimes get on players backs if they don't press in certain areas, or track back in certain transitions. Mostly though this is due to instructions and not because they can't be arsed.

Would have to be a very special player to get away with being lazy in a Gerrard team I imagine 

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree mate, languid definitely isn’t lazy in footballing terms. Whatever the true definition of languid is.

It means :

languid
/ˈlaŋɡwɪd/

adjective

1. 1.
    (of a person, manner, or gesture) having or showing a disinclination for physical exertion or effort.
    "his languid demeanour irritated her"

Any chance that the respective contributors to the Collins, Oxford, Cambridge and Webster-Merriam dictionaries can take their discussions on word definitions to the off topic section?

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Languid may mean one thing in the dictionary, but in footballing terms imo its used as a phrase to denote a "lazy style", that doesnt mean someone is lazy, but that their playing style looks kind of relaxed, so much so that it loks out of place compared to your "average" player, this doesnt mean they are less effective, but that the are so comfortable, relaxed and usually actually highly competent, that it stands out as a relaxed/lazy look in their style of play.

Players that spring to mind for me like this are/were Faustino Asprilla, Matt Le Tissier etc, even Traore.

Polar opposites would be Raheem Sterling who runs like he's carrying shopping and John Mcginn who runs like one of the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The most languid player I remember is Paulo Wanchope! 

Anyway enough about the word Languid. Carney needs to sign a new contract. Bright future with us.  

maybe he's languidly progressing towards signing a new contract!?

• Haha 3

Words evolve and their meaning changes with time in accordance with popular usage.

These days if someone is lazy, you will not call him languid.

Anyway, Chukeumeka is an exciting prospect, still very young, and still progressing. I think we expected him to explode onto the scene, well I did anyway, and that was expecting too much.

On 08/12/2021 at 15:31, Stevo985 said:

Languid is a synonym for lazy (and lazy has already been used in this thread)

It's something I've written about before on here. Only black players ever seem to get labelled as lazy by football fans (including VillaTalk and at Villa Park)

Benteke, Ayew, Carew, Onomah, Wesley, Gestede are all names who spring to mind who have been labelled as lazy consistently. I find it amazing that Carney has already attracted the label after only a few appearances 

I honestly cannot think of a single white player who has been labelled lazy. They just "lack pace" or are "slow"

I'm not calling anybody racist by the way, I'm not saying anyone who has called Carney lazy or languid is racist.

It's just a quirk that I think is subconsciously instilled in a lot of people

FWIW I haven't seen anything to suggest Carney is lazy or languid so I'm not really sure where it's coming from

Yeah, without even mentioning beast, monster etc. etc.

1 hour ago, YLN said:

It was that and the fact Chiellini should have been sent off and tried for attempted murder 

Still wouldn’t have helped England to win the “World Cup” though as was mentioned in the original post. The euros maybe…

On 08/12/2021 at 16:31, Stevo985 said:

Languid is a synonym for lazy (and lazy has already been used in this thread)

It's something I've written about before on here. Only black players ever seem to get labelled as lazy by football fans (including VillaTalk and at Villa Park)

Benteke, Ayew, Carew, Onomah, Wesley, Gestede are all names who spring to mind who have been labelled as lazy consistently. I find it amazing that Carney has already attracted the label after only a few appearances 

I honestly cannot think of a single white player who has been labelled lazy. They just "lack pace" or are "slow"

I'm not calling anybody racist by the way, I'm not saying anyone who has called Carney lazy or languid is racist.

It's just a quirk that I think is subconsciously instilled in a lot of people

FWIW I haven't seen anything to suggest Carney is lazy or languid so I'm not really sure where it's coming from

Here is one lazy word removed that played for us

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/12/26/19/3BA6F4C700000578-4066862-image-m-122_1482780380779.jpg

Â