Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Languid is a synonym for lazy (and lazy has already been used in this thread)

It's something I've written about before on here. Only black players ever seem to get labelled as lazy by football fans (including VillaTalk and at Villa Park)

Benteke, Ayew, Carew, Onomah, Wesley, Gestede are all names who spring to mind who have been labelled as lazy consistently. I find it amazing that Carney has already attracted the label after only a few appearances 

I honestly cannot think of a single white player who has been labelled lazy. They just "lack pace" or are "slow"

I'm not calling anybody racist by the way, I'm not saying anyone who has called Carney lazy or languid is racist.

It's just a quirk that I think is subconsciously instilled in a lot of people

FWIW I haven't seen anything to suggest Carney is lazy or languid so I'm not really sure where it's coming from

Ozil. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why, because he's black?!

I'm sick of you lot!

Jesus Christ man, when I think of " Languid " ( Lanky ? ) , I think of Long limbed, slim and gliding, long strides, appearing slower in motion due to limbs etc.

How do some of you manage to bring race into absolutely everything?

Languid etc could be levelled at almost any tall, slim person with a certain type of movement!

Insert " Infinite Facepalm " here.

that's me ****ed

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I won't post about it anymore as it's not fair to clog up this thread. I didn't intend to spark a discussion, just something interesting I've noticed.

Apologies for steering things off topic. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to continue the discussion

👆👆👆👆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I assume that's tongue in cheek. 

He's like yaya Toure in that he has lots of skill, can beat a player but looks like he's not putting any effort in. Like OBE says maybe it's just his style and it won't change. 

I dont really get the odd race angle to this thread. He just doesnt seem to be running a lot around the pitch, unlike mcginn, nakamba or ji sung park. It's not a huge issue, it is what it is. Let's see how he develops and what type of player he is when he's 22. A very good one I bet. 

Edited by villa89
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm sick of you lot!

Jesus Christ man, when I think of " Languid " ( Lanky ? ) , I think of Long limbed, slim and gliding, long strides, appearing slower in motion due to limbs etc.

How do some of you manage to bring race into absolutely everything?

Languid etc could be levelled at almost any tall, slim person with a certain type of movement!

Insert " Infinite Facepalm " here.

I think he could have used better wording, but so could we all at times, shaun.

I think he was trying to be complimentary comparing him with Yaya Toure, is all.

Carney is 18 and still filling out, I think his stature is great....and can see a very complete player developing....but as you know, I like a bit of height.

I wouldn't compare him with anybody......just uniquely Carney.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Chukwuemeka has good workrate I'm not sure where people have got this idea that he stands still from, I think it might be in part because there seems to be this false idea that he's a 'no.10' and playing in that position is often associated with luxury players and players primarily dwell in and around the final third. As I've stated many times before Chukwuemeka played for the U23s as a box to box midfielder and does the same for England at youth level, the way he plays requires a good work rate as he has to get up and down the pitch.

At U23 level he wouldn't have been allowed to not have a good workrate, the coaches as they've stated in interviews like the team to press the opposition and if you watch highlights from last season then that bears out as you will see a lot of the goals come from us forcing the opposition into mistakes and Chukwuemeka plays his part in that.

• Like 2

I don't think he's at all lazy, he covers a lot of ground in games and I'm sure that his running stats are very good, for me what he doesn't have is that five yard aggressive sprint, he builds to speed and he has a long step to his run which gives the impression that he's almost jogging - I'd bet that the stats show he's travelling at a very decent pace. He's not John McGinn or Marvelous Nakamba, his game isn't based around scurrying about like a terrier in five yard bursts, he's got more of a glide to him and one of his big strengths is that his running style allows him the balance to sway and change direction in ways that are difficult for opposition players to follow - I wouldn't say that's lazy, but it's a running style that people tend to call languid and have done for footballers, regardless of the literal definition.

He makes running look easier than John McGinn does - I'm not quite sure how to describe that better.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Interesting. This whole time I've thought languid meant a more relaxed, effortless, breeze-like quality to movement. 

Me too. I didn’t think it was an insult.

Anyway Carney is a baller. (hope I’m allowed to call him that).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've literally shared an article of Grealish being described as " Languid " above, which it seems everyone is ignoring to suit the context?

I've legit never heard " Languid " style in football and instantly thought " Ooohh, they mean he's lazy ".

So I highly doubt 99 percent of people are thinking that. I Instantly think gliding, " making it look easy " almost etc and usually attribute it to someone lanky.

I agree mate, languid definitely isn’t lazy in footballing terms. Whatever the true definition of languid is.

• Like 2

Languid may mean one thing in the dictionary, but in footballing terms imo its used as a phrase to denote a "lazy style", that doesnt mean someone is lazy, but that their playing style looks kind of relaxed, so much so that it loks out of place compared to your "average" player, this doesnt mean they are less effective, but that the are so comfortable, relaxed and usually actually highly competent, that it stands out as a relaxed/lazy look in their style of play.

Players that spring to mind for me like this are/were Faustino Asprilla, Matt Le Tissier etc, even Traore.

• Like 1

Southgate himself got confused by Grealish's languid style. Assumed he was slow and as a result we didn't win the world Cup.

As for Carney; he looks a complete boss and I'm convinced he'll be getting plenty more game time and his first goal isn't far off.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Southgate himself got confused by Grealish's languid style. Assumed he was slow and as a result we didn't win the world Cup.

As for Carney; he looks a complete boss and I'm convinced he'll be getting plenty more game time and his first goal isn't far off.

That's a bit of a stretch. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â