Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

Watched it back this morning. He contributed to 3 key moments. And he was far less languid than he has been previously. Kept the ball twice which meant Leicester had to foul him,   one of them basically contributing to seeing the game out. 

You could literally see the coaching he has been given out on the pitch as he was playing . A yard faster and was determined physically. 

Made a mug out of Maddison. 

18 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

To be fair, in his only start he was playing out and out CM, not necessarily his best position and it was his full PL debut. 

If he were to be given a start as one of the two 10's in Gerrard's system I think he would look completely different. 

I'd like to see him given a start against either Norwich or Burnley.  

True, he definitely looks better further forward, saw bits of his footplay as well, via Maddison. lol

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True, he definitely looks better further forward, saw bits of his footplay as well, via Maddison. lol

Always thought this. He needs to play high up the pitch as he has got the ability to do something very special with his quick feet and great touch. Reminds me of someone else who burst on the scene at the same age

People seem to have this strange fixation at the moment whereby any player that happens to have some skill or flair should play as a No.10. Safe to say that Chukwuemeka's best work comes in the more advanced areas of the field, but that doesn't mean he should be moved from his central midfield position, he's not just some luxury player who only contributes in the final third, he does a lot of good work all over the pitch.

Seems to me in recent times people seem to have lost sight of the fact that No.8s can be attack minded and creative players too, not every creative player has to play as a 'No.10.

And yes I can understand Chukwuemeka playing further forward as a way of introducing him to first team football without him having to deal with some of the defensive responsibilites that come with playing slightly deeper, just saying it's a disservice to him to think of him purely as a player for the final third, when it's been his displays as a box to box midfielder at academy level that have got him to this point, wasn't so long ago that many on here were comparing him to Viera and Yaya Toure as a player, I'd say he's someone where between that style of player and someone like Grealish, which is what makes him so unique.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Us fans obviously don’t know the full picture with Carney so I can only suspect you’re not wrong regarding his current attitude. It’s important for Carney, the club and us fans to know there’s still time, given his young age and still closer (just) to two than one football years of his contract remaining, for Carney to mature his attitude.

Having just watched the 21 minute talk with Gerrard at BMH, I’m more confident that SG is the right manager to say and do the right things for Carney’s Villa development. The rest is then up to Carney and (probably unfortunately) his advisers.

Yep, can't think of many better mentors for a promising midfielder than Gerrard, I just hope he akes his chance and doesn't end up as the next Delfouneso or that other little bollocks whose name I forgot that thought he was God's gift, signed for Arsenal then disappeared.

• Like 1

He's looked a little "shy" in his previous appearances. Not exactly demanding the ball or making space, was actually a few mutterings in the Holte of him hiding against City.

Yesterday was a huge improvement.

He had the confidence to take on and beat (quite easily) Maddison, and was happy to take the ball with 2 midfielders surrounding him and win the free kick which ended the game. Really good signs and happy it appears he is the "go to man" at home in that narrow front 3. 

1 hour ago, blunther said:

Yep, can't think of many better mentors for a promising midfielder than Gerrard, I just hope he akes his chance and doesn't end up as the next Delfouneso or that other little bollocks whose name I forgot that thought he was God's gift, signed for Arsenal then disappeared.

Dan Crowley, now of Cheltenham Town. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if he'll be given a chance to play as one of the two 10's (probably alongside Buendia) in the near future? 

A line up like this....

--------------------Watkins---------------------
------------Carney-------Buendia-----------
--------Luiz--------------------McGinn-------
------------------Nakamba---------------------

Or even this...

------------Carney-------Mcginn-----------
--------Ramsey--------------Sanson------
------------------------Luiz-----------------------

We've got so many options. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if he'll be given a chance to play as one of the two 10's (probably alongside Buendia) in the near future? 

A line up like this....

To be honest, playing with 1 vs 11 is a tall order, even for Ollie 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

------------Carney-------Mcginn-----------
--------Ramsey--------------Sanson------
------------------------Luiz-----------------------

Would love to see: 
------------Carney--------Mcginn----------
--------Luiz---------------------Sanson------
-------------------Nakamba-------------------

Just for one game pleeeeease. 

He doesn't have a burst sprint, that's just not how he's wired and put together. He covers a lot of ground with that casual running style of his, more than I think is immediately apparent, but he most definitely doesn't have that aggressive five yard burst to close someone down that McGinn or Nakamba have and I don't think he ever will. 

What he does have is wonderful control of both the ball and his body, great balance, a fantastic range of passing, very good vision and excellent finishing ability - if things go according to plan and he becomes a top quality footballer at the highest levels in the game, there will alway be critics of his lack of that five yard burst, in the same way that there are for Pogba, but the talents he does have will always outweigh that. 

As he gets more comfortable with first team football and as he grows and gets stronger, I think he'll find a role and position that suits him and I think any decent manager finds a blend in midfield that allows him to play to his strengths. 

Both Carney and Villa may have struck lucky in the way in which Gerrard wants to set us up, because one of the narrow roles behind the striker in our 4-3-2-1 absolutely suits him down to the ground right now - he can develop his abilities with plenty of cover behind him and he can play in areas where he can make things happen and develop his confidence. He can be a star in one of those roles for us this season if it falls right for him.

That's not to say he can't move further back in the future, but I think at the moment that more advanced role suits him better and has a little less competition. 

For me that role is better suited to him than it is to Jacob Ramsey, but I can understand why Ramsey starts - he's further along in his development, more experienced and less risky in that he's more of a grafter than Carney - but I think at some point Carney and the qualities he has on the ball will push his way in - while Bailey is out he has a proper opportunity to do that.

This is a massive month for him, young players need a break to get their first team opportunity and the absence of Bailey, Traore and Targett gives him a foot in the door. Hopefully he can make the most of it.

• Like 4

Â