Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Envious of Everton. They are exactly where we should be.

Similar sized club. Having a high profile manager and signing prolific players.

When did they get relegated and promoted after years of mismanagement?

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, string28 said:

Must be "preparing" a bid.

Or it’s all a big game of smoke, mirrors and press speculation, while about 5 people in the world know  what’s really happening - and don’t post it on Twitter. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Obviously signings don't come in order of importance, but the only signing I'm really focused on is a quality RW.

Everything else including striker is almost pointless unless we get someone really good in that position.

Stop Grealish and you stop Villa is still pretty much true and sure a good striker will help up get points against the run of play, but that's not what our game plan should be going forward.

RW is the key position and with that sorted a CF, CM and so on will make a massive difference even if those players are not world class.

This is what I dont get about us wanting 2 strikers.

If we got watkins, that's him, samatta and davis as strikers initially, then wesley when he returns to fitness.

After that I personally think we should be lookkng at chance creation and midfield solodity, so as minimum 1 new wide player and a midflielder, if we sign 2 strikers and no wingers with some skill and vision, I will be wondering what on earth we are doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Or it’s all a big game of smoke, mirrors and press speculation, while about 5 people in the world know  what’s really happening - and don’t post it on Twitter. 

Yeah I think so I hope the Martinez link is true though would be a really good signing.

• Like 1

If Watkins isn't happening for whatever reason then Josh King would make sense, a cheaper option with premier league experience. Hope he would be one of two strikers incoming though.

Maybe means it free's up space for a more expensive striker. For example Josh King and Odsonne Édouard wouldn't be a bad swoop.

It has gone suspiciously quiet on both Watkins and Benrahma, although it didn't wow me 2 weeks ago I would be over the moon if a double signing suddenly popped up in the next few days. Add in another striker and Martinez and that's a decent window for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is just no way. He is worth 15-20m at the very least

Sorry but that's just not true, I wouldn't be surprised if casual fans of other PL clubs even knew who he was. I like him and think he could improve but he's not worth that at the moment.

I don't think anyone seriously believes the club aren't working hard behind the scenes.

But, as fans, we have to understand that the whole football world knows:

• We have very rich, ambitious owners
  • There is a lot of financial uncertainty in football
  • The transfer window carries on well beyond the start of the season
  • We only just avoided relegation
  • FFP still applies in some form

The first means we are aiming very high, and clubs may ask more off us than other clubs, especially early in the window.
The second means it's a game of chicken - ask for a high fee early, and maybe accept less later in the window - and this mess is why the window was moved so it closed before the season, but not this year.
The fourth means that getting the players in we want is harder, as they are worried about relegation next year.
And with FFP still looming large, and no business wanting to just spend millions without reason - we can't afford to just 'pay what they're asking'. If we do that, then we might run out of transfer budget before we've filled the necessary slots in the squad.

Finally - we don't know if any of the U23s will step up this season. If Ramsey is rated highly enough, why bring in someone to stop his progression - spending 25m or more? It's a risk, but I can remember the time when Teale and McGod were first choice, and then Ugo started the following season. I dread to think what social media would have made of that!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSmith22 said:

I lost count how many successful take ons he had in this video. This should be our #1 target. 

I feel like that video is really useful, in that it shows you both why managers and fans might be really interested and excited in him, but also why they might be nervous as well. On the one hand, he clearly has an almost unnatural close control of the ball, and incredible balance. He can certainly finish too. But on the other, even within that video there are times that his tricks and flicks lose possession, and others where you suspect they would against PL defences. It could be equally frustrating watching a rare counter-attack against a top team break down as he does a fancy turn, as it could be exciting to watch him own weaker defenders with his skills.

Ultimately, I would like to sign him, because you pay for talent and then try to coach the decision-making. I'm surprised that there haven't really been any solid links regarding him yet this window. He surely won't play another season in the Championship?

47 minutes ago, string28 said:

few more posts on twitter saying hes home sick.

it wouldn't surprise me. he still doesn't speak a huge amount of english i dont think. and think back to the foreign lads we've signed last summer: trez had elmo, wesley and luiz had each other, engels already knew the country as his mrs is english so is used to the culture etc. the same i guess can be said about marvelous but then we signed samatta and seemed like the two knew each other before, plus he could speak english. guilbert had no one.

i know it's part and parcel of being a footballer but at 25 he's still relatively young. i hope we keep him because post lockdown he looked excellent i thought. it might explain the matty cash signing though.

27 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

This is what I dont get about us wanting 2 strikers.

If we got watkins, that's him, samatta and davis as strikers initially, then wesley when he returns to fitness.

After that I personally think we should be lookkng at chance creation and midfield solodity, so as minimum 1 new wide player and a midflielder, if we sign 2 strikers and no wingers with some skill and vision, I will be wondering what on earth we are doing.

Wesley might be some way off -  Personally I would discount him being available for most of next season. Which explains why we want two strikers.

Cash, Martinez & Watkins would imo give us a fighting chance next season. As we stand we are in for a major relegation scrap.

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Everton have what 8 or 9 midfielders now?! Many journeymen with big wages and long contracts. Very difficult to shift. They throw money at bigger club rejects and hope it works. It’s not a model to aspire towards. 

Yeah - I remember one pundit saying that they're trying to break into the top four by buying players who've been deemed not good enough by the top four teams they've signed them from. Delph, Walcott, Iwobi, Gomes, Schneiderlin all prime examples.

• Like 1