Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, rayk said:

So you answer my question.....by not answering the question. Wolves are a highly professional outfit these days and spending £35m on a teenager will not be whimsical.......

Do you always call the top of the stock market? Unless you think that Wolves will never make a bad purchase again in their history, then they necessarily will make one at some point. Frankly, £35m on a teenager with less than two dozen first-team appearances is not *impossible* to be that bad transfer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You must have forgotten -  I haven't - that Adama refused to get dressed for a game against Rotherham and effectively forced the transfer. The choice was not 'swap Adama for Adomah or keep Adama and he blazes his way to promotion for Villa', it was 'swap Adama for Adomah or keep a player who is on strike and won't play'. Adomah scored 16 goals that season, which is 16 more than Adama would have scored from his sofa.

He scored 3!

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

He scored 3!

I was just about to edit that - obviously it was the following season he scored 16. Anyway, to make the same point with different numbers, he scored 3 and assisted 11, which is 14 more goals than Adama would have contributed from his sofa.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, supermon said:

Isn't there an Adama thread knocking around somewhere on vt?!

I've been waiting for someone to say it, and if I'm honest I couldn't be bothered to scroll through the pages to understand how we got here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayk said:

I guess that’s directed at me. How am I on the wind up?

I’m a Villa fan of 40 years, season ticket holder for about 20 years. I make genuine points and don’t care if they are unpopular. That doesn’t make me a wind up or a troll.

If it helps, I don't think you're on the wind up, but you're VERY aggressive and argumentative. ( And a bit arrogant with how you make your points)

Different posters are going to take differently to your style. Lol

Forum of different personalities, and obviously boredom, currently.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rayk said:

I think that’s a fair point....but I would say Wolves transfer strategy is where I’d like us to be and they are only a year ahead of us (or is it two) in the Prem.

They're one year ahead of us, but they didn't have to rebuild the majority of their squad during their first summer back in the PL, which will have also helped them.

But yes, I agree that their transfer strategy would be a very good one to follow. As Silva is so highly rated, I'm looking forward to seeing how he does compared to Barry over the next few years. Want to see what £35m gets you for a highly rated youngster vs. the £3m Barry cost us.

As I am bored and some of the players I wanted have been brought by different clubs I have updated my wish list 🤓

Cash (14m) is in so no right back listed for me.

When I found out Rico Henry is available for 7m I have bowed to the masses and included him as a left back.

Stones 20m

Butland 7m

Sell at any cost....

Nyland, Kalinic, Elmo, Taylor and Engels. I would guess this would raise 5-10m

My midfield pick would be Loftus-Cheek in any way possible so a purchase, loan to buy or a loan. I’d guess he is a 20 million pound player with a loan value of a few million. Therefore loan to buy would be best as a try before you buy.

Sell - Lansbury and Jota raising £0 🙁

My forwards would be 

Buendia 20m

Benrahma 25m

Edouard 35m

Sell no one but loan out Davis.

leaving out the unknown costs of Loftus-Cheek and assuming everything was cash straight upfront and Matty Cash included that is a total of 128m (16m) less than last season with player sales of 5-10m

In the imaginary world of 3:35am posts I would consider the squad sorted out at that point with all the deadwood gone capable and expected to place somewhere between 7th and 12th.

I would see the next summer window involving us selling players to make space for the new the same as every summer but actually getting decent sums in for the players we shift out for once and spending on very few players meaning either a couple of very expensive players because the board want to keep moving us on with similar budgets or the budget is cut to something more financially sensible to bring in a couple of 15-25m players.

Edited by paul514

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's annoying when you've muted someone clearly on the wind-up and people won't stop bloody quoting them.

Ignore. And they'll go away.

Exactly.

Everyday it's the same shite, and yet folk still engaging going round in circles talking about irrelevant shit from 5 seasons ago. Unbelievable.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Good grief ....we have all got bored with discussing transfers in this thread - so now we are discussing the thread itself.

I don't have enough time left on this earth to read more than one page in 10. - so I will  just pop in once a week and read one page. Best chance I have of having a life.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

As I am bored and some of the players I wanted have been brought by different clubs I have updated my wish list 🤓

Cash (14m) is in so no right back listed for me.

When I found out Rico Henry is available for 7m I have bowed to the masses and included him as a left back.

Stones 20m

Butland 7m

Sell at any cost....

Nyland, Kalinic, Elmo, Taylor and Engels. I would guess this would raise 5-10m

My midfield pick would be Loftus-Cheek in any way possible so a purchase, loan to buy or a loan. I’d guess he is a 20 million pound player with a loan value of a few million. Therefore loan to buy would be best as a try before you buy.

Sell - Lansbury and Jota raising £0 🙁

My forwards would be 

Buendia 20m

Benrahma 25m

Edouard 35m

Sell no one but loan out Davis.

leaving out the unknown costs of Loftus-Cheek and assuming everything was cash straight upfront and Matty Cash included that is a total of 128m (16m) less than last season with player sales of 5-10m

In the imaginary world of 3:35am posts I would consider the squad sorted out at that point with all the deadwood gone capable and expected to place somewhere between 7th and 12th.

I would see the next summer window involving us selling players to make space for the new the same as every summer but actually getting decent sums in for the players we shift out for once and spending on very few players meaning either a couple of very expensive players because the board want to keep moving us on with similar budgets or the budget is cut to something more financially sensible to bring in a couple of 15-25m players.

Many flaws in your post. Loftus-Cheek for £20m? Really? They'd want at least £30m for him. 

Stones? I wouldn't take him for free. 

You can't sell someone for nothing. You let them go for nothing. But, you need someone to take them and, on their wages, it will be highly unlikely. 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If it helps, I don't think you're on the wind up, but you're VERY aggressive and argumentative. ( And a bit arrogant with how you make your points)

Different posters are going to take differently to your style. Lol

Forum of different personalities, and obviously boredom, currently.

Ever the diplomat. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Looks to me like you're making stuff up.  

fred Guilbert

Matt Cash

68.9% for Fred in the PL and 70% for Cash in the Champ - wow, what a massive difference...

You also need to factor in that Cash was playing in 9ne of the better teams in the champ and Feed in one of the worst in the PL.  So, Cashs colleagues were generally of a better standard, in comparison to their opponents, than Freds were.

I didn’t make anything up. I took it from a link to a ‘Statsbomb’ article that someone mentioned in this thread a few pages back.

As it happens, I misread it, and the actual stat is that Cash completed close to 75% in the final third, whereas Guilbert completed closer to 50% of his passes in the final third.

Here

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

They're one year ahead of us, but they didn't have to rebuild the majority of their squad during their first summer back in the PL, which will have also helped them.

But yes, I agree that their transfer strategy would be a very good one to follow. As Silva is so highly rated, I'm looking forward to seeing how he does compared to Barry over the next few years. Want to see what £35m gets you for a highly rated youngster vs. the £3m Barry cost us.

I'd argue more than one year ahead. They got promoted have stormed the championship, we got promoted having finished 5th. I'm not even sure the team that stayed up last year would have won the championship. Were rebuilding but they are years ahead currently.

17 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'd argue more than one year ahead. They got promoted have stormed the championship, we got promoted having finished 5th. I'm not even sure the team that stayed up last year would have won the championship. Were rebuilding but they are years ahead currently.

50 years ago I couldn’t care less about Wolves, 25 years ago the same, 5 years ago not a flicker on the “Giveashitometer” and still nothing seems to be registering. Their lot however do seem to have some long standing and ongoing issues with us. Some things just never change. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Completely agree. People always forget we were not ready for promotion when we got it. I think nobody at the club expected it and every single plan that had been made was founded in rebuilding the club over at least another season in the championship. 

The relative difference of coming into the PL with a set side that was the best in the Championship brimming with confidence, to being promoted through a playoff thingy and being forced to replace 10-20 players in the toughest league in the world. Can't quite state the enormity of that task. 

• Like 1