Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So Callum Wilson prefers Newcastle and panic begins to creep in.

Alot can happen in 7 days in football.

Am I one of the few actually pleased we are not signing shite like Callum Wilson?

I look at it as a sign we are looking to do bigger things.

I’ll be pleased if we don’t get Wilson, don’t get me wrong, but it worries me we were in for him in the first place. For that reason, I’m struggling a little to believe that we’re looking at more ambitious targets, but I remain hopeful.

I must admit, as good a job as Smith has done with us in his time here, I do worry that he’s a big reason as to why we may be struggling to attract quality players, particularly those from outside the UK.

It would definitely be harsh on him, but I can’t help but wonder if we’ll be sitting here in a few months time wishing our owners had been more ruthless and brought a higher profile coach in this summer.

There’s still time for us to make some good transfers, though. Here’s hoping we do.

• Like 4

Gonna throw this out there. What do people think of Sebastian Haller? West Ham are seemingly skint and would probably offload for less than £20m. I know he struggled last year but he has always done well prior to that. I really think he could turn it around. Still a good age and I think our style of play would suit him better than West Spam. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

I’ll be pleased if we don’t get Wilson, don’t get me wrong, but it worries me we were in for him in the first place. For that reason, I’m struggling a little to believe that we’re looking at more ambitious targets, but I remain hopeful.

I must admit, as good a job as Smith has done with us in his time here, I do worry that he’s a big reason as to why we may be struggling to attract quality players, particularly those from outside the UK.

It would definitely be harsh on him, but I can’t help but wonder if we’ll be sitting here in a few months time wishing our owners had been more ruthless and brought a higher profile coach in this summer.

There’s still time for us to make some good transfers, though. Here’s hoping we do.

Smith certainly needs to kick on and demonstrate his ability to improve us this season. Safety this season won’t be enough. The owners will have Outlaid £500m and will demand tangible progress vs their ambition.

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A quiet one, but i'm not sure about shambolic.

I think it would be fair to wait until 6th Oct before writing it off.

We bought in one player in a position we didn’t need, Id have thought getting the players in early giving them a pre-season with the new teammates ready for the start of the season would have been the ideal solution, than waiting till the 6th October when the season has already started

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I remember an interview with Wilder about the midfielder they signed in January (don't remember the name)

And he didn't want to sign for them in the summer because he thought they were relegation fodder. By January the club looked a better prospect to him and he signed for them.

This may be the reality if we are going for the top talents. We aren't proven enough as a club yet. Players will look at us as a bottom 5 club. Would not surprise me one bit if Benrahma and Watkins are waiting around for better options.

I totally agree with you, I don't subscribe to the "Dean can't attract players" idea; its more the club just survived relegation last year so are a genuine risk for players thinking of coming here. The Sheffield player you refer to is Sander Berge iirc. 

We may need to shop abroad in a lower price bracket for another year yet and hope we survive this next campaign with a bit more comfort. in 2021-22 we can then attract the better quality players we all crave.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So Callum Wilson prefers Newcastle and panic begins to creep in.

Alot can happen in 7 days in football.

Am I one of the few actually pleased we are not signing shite like Callum Wilson?

I look at it as a sign we are looking to do bigger things.

It’s just not correct to say Callum Wilson is shite, he’s proven to be a decent premier league CF. Look, it’s disappointing to lose out to other clubs when you go after a player, and the club clearly wanted Wilson. So it’s not a sign that we’re looking to do bigger things, it’s simply a sign that we lost out on a player this time. We might move on to bigger things, but this is a punch we have to roll with. As it happens I’ve always maintained that Josh King is the better forward at Bournemouth, and I wouldn’t mind seeing him at Villa. 
What this transfer window might end up showing us is that the common denominator in our transfer struggles is Purslow. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I wouldn't want to question why we had placed a bid for Wilson. It could be for many numerous reasons that we could all spend hours clutching at straws and drawing conclusions over.

I will stand by the statement Wes Edens released and allow the board until Oct to deliver that to us. If they fail, questions will be asked and rightly so.

Until then..  I'm enjoying the window so far. I felt last week we would focus on getting in one or 2 targets from the Championship over the line and the main action will start to develop this week onwards.

We all get a little impatient, myself included, but so far the owners have out their money where their mouth is and not let us down so far, I will be suprised if they started to do so now and in such a crucial transfer window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not worried at this stage but concern is certainly growing, I thought we would have strengthened a lot more by this stage. 

It’s concerning as clearly the squad isn’t strong enough and promises have been made to the likes of McGinn and those promises as yet are unfulfilled and that is a dangerous situation to be in.

The club are clearly trying to bring people in but it does feel like we are struggling.

Plenty of time remaining but we really do need to bring in quality and in quite a few positions.

Exactly, having time is all very well, but the more it disappears, the greater the need becomes. And the greater the need becomes, the greater the risk of further disappointment and panic buys.

Whatever the actual reasons are for not having got players in yet, the perception of struggle is also important. Like most of us, plenty of players must look at what happened last year and wonder how we got out of trouble.

1 hour ago, grobs said:

I’m really worried now, we are failing to attract players. Watkins will surely stay in London if the offer is there. I think we will regret missing out on Wilson. I dread to think what our next striker targets are going to be. I have a feeling that we do not have anywhere near the amount of money that was speculated. 

well you haveto look at owners if there isnt the money

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think we were after Wilson, we were used to get a price from Newcastle. It happens

I highly doubt we outbidded them by £1m and then withdrew because he wasn’t interested. I don’t buy the media narrative at all. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

We bought in one player in a position we didn’t need, Id have thought getting the players in early giving them a pre-season with the new teammates ready for the start of the season would have been the ideal solution, than waiting till the 6th October when the season has already started

I dare say this is what Smith would have wanted to happen in an ideal world, but it's strange how players and agents can also hold deals up.

20 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Gonna throw this out there. What do people think of Sebastian Haller? West Ham are seemingly skint and would probably offload for less than £20m. I know he struggled last year but he has always done well prior to that. I really think he could turn it around. Still a good age and I think our style of play would suit him better than West Spam. Thoughts?

He will be on 100 K plus so prices us out wages wise