Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Patrick Cutrone? Was only 21 when Wolves got him from AC MIlan where he was a regular for a season.

Moise Kean was scoring goals for Juventus. Hardly did anything at Everton.

These guys were actually experienced in major leagues but struggled to settle and fit into a new country and style of play. Also had caps for Italy.

Could also see how raw Adama was at 19 for us.

Doubt we'll see much of this new Wolves guy bar late cameos off the bench in which he'll probably notch a goal or two against tired defences, would be very surprised if he made a major impact in his first season as it goes against the general trend.

That’s two...eight more and you can go to bed.

As for Adama, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. The fact that we swapped him for Adomah still grates me to this day.

29 minutes ago, rayk said:

Having seen that both Jacob and Aaron Ramsey featured against Arsenal today, there is no way we’ll be buying another CM. we might buy a DCM, but even Chukwuemaka played.

Maybe a DCM on loan? Didn’t Tuanzebe also play DCM?

Really wouldn't read too much into a second string friendly.

However I think at the minimum we will but 1 striker and Gk.

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

That’s two...eight more and you can go to bed.

As for Adama, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. The fact that we swapped him for Adomah still grates me to this day.

Well I didn't make the inital comment tbf but just thought I'd have a go at recent examples. If you want to go way back Hugo Viana was very highly rated at Sporting Lisbon, went to Newcastle and it fizzled out. Gabriel at Inter is a recent one from abroad. Doing well back in Brazil and much more mature.

I love Adama but people could see at 19 while he was exciting on the ball he had no clue how to tuck in and track back and help the team when out of possesion. He learnt that at Boro under Pulis and became more rounded player. If you go to this thread/Wolves in other football there's plenty on this site even now who don't rate him much as a player, I do.

• Like 1

Just now, rayk said:

Actually, if Villa were linked with either Cutrone or Kean I think most would be excited by the potential.....

Blimey mate they are only 22 and 20 respectively......hardly an age to write them off.

It's not but shows how big a task it is to go to a foreign country and hit the ground running. Both were reasonably experienced at club and international level aswell considering how young they were when signed.

Just using them as examples to show how it's more likely Silva won't be immediately parachuted into Wolves first team. They've already got one of the best CFs in the league so can afford to ease him in gently.

Our problem is the other end of the spectrum, we don't have enough experienced heads on the pitch to help us when we come under sustained pressure in games.

Anyway surely Douglas Luiz would be top 10 for under 23 regulars in major leagues, his potential is huge so we do sign them aswell.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really wouldn't read too much into a second string friendly.

However I think at the minimum we will but 1 striker and Gk.

Not so much a second string friendly if Aubameyang scores twice though?

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's not but shows how big a task it is to go to a foreign country and hit the ground running. Both were reasonably experienced at club and international level aswell considering how young they were when signed.

Just using them as examples to show how it's more likely Silva won't be immediately parachuted into Wolves first team. They've already got one of the best CFs in the league so can afford to ease him in gently.

Our problem is the other end of the spectrum, we don't have enough experienced heads on the pitch to help us when we come under sustained pressure in games.

Anyway surely Douglas Luiz would be top 10 for under 23 regulars in major leagues, his potential is huge so we do sign them aswell.

I don’t think you can call them reasonably experienced at the ages of 21 or 19 at the time. Jack was still on Happy Crack at that age and look how he’s turned out.

But I’m with you when you say Silva won’t start.....I don’t think I say he would.....and yes Luiz is our best player behind Jack. Certainly better than SJM imo.

Edited by rayk

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Wolves we’re making more ambitious signings than us in the championship 3 years ago though. Wilson smacks of safety first and shows little ambition

You can't compare us (or anyone else) to Wolves. 

They've got some well dodgy tie up with Jorge Mendes.  They've signed so many players, especially in The Championship who ordinarily wouldn't sign for them in a month of Sunday's but they go where they are told to by Jorge Mendes. 

Something very dodgy is going on with him.  I bet there are multi millions going to him direct from China. It makes no sense otherwise. 

You have to say though he really knows his onions. I wouldn't think this kid will flop.  It's uncanny how many Portuguese Wolves have bought, and they've almost all worked perfectly.  You would expect a fair few to flop and not make it but like Jorge Mendes, they always seem to pick the ones who are going to make it. 

It's impossible to compare us to Wolves because it's not a natural situation there. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Every time I open this thread there's at least half a dozen (on the page!) posts by someone I have ignored. 

**** hell. 

Looking forward to the window slamming shut, so some normality returns. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rayk said:

I don’t think you can call them reasonably experienced at the ages of 21 or 19 at the time. Jack was still on Happy Crack at that age and look how he’s turned out.

But I’m with you when you say Silva won’t start.....I don’t think I say he would.....and yes Luiz is our best player behind Jack. Certainly better than SJM imo.

Yep that's fair, pretty much end of debate......

And then I remembered Bayern Munich signing Renato Sanches for 30m ish in 2016. Really struggling there but now doing better at medium sized Lille and still time for him to come again on the world stage but really so many young players move too early nowadays instead of staying at clubs and developing for another season or two. Money of course talks loudest in football.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yep that's fair, pretty much end of debate......

And then I remembered Bayern Munich signing Renato Sanches for 30m ish in 2016. Really struggling there but now doing better at medium sized Lille and still time for him to come again on the world stage but really so many young players move too early nowadays instead of staying at clubs and developing for another season or two. Money of course talks loudest in football.

Or maybe they just move to the wrong club? 👍

11 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Whatever level Adama goes/has gone on to, swapping him for Adomah was absolutely the right move at the time and ultimately a decision vindicated by our subsequent promotion.

I disagree with this. Adomah was largely awful in our promotion season, whereas Adama was a key component of a Wolves side qualifying for Europe at that time. He also pretty much single-handedly brought a Boro side full of plodders to the Champ playoffs the season before. It was a very short-sighted swap IMO, though you could argue that Adama had no intention of staying with us in the Champ (even if he ended up there with Boro!)

• Like 3

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Whatever level Adama goes/has gone on to, swapping him for Adomah was absolutely the right move at the time and ultimately a decision vindicated by our subsequent promotion.

That assumes Adama couldn’t have had the same or similar impact as Adomah. And we got promoted three years later....hardly a vindication.

Having googled some examples Pietro Pellegri and Willem Geubbels both signed for Monaco as sixteen year olds a couple of seasons back for around £20m each, Pellegri hasn't played a competitive match since 2018, and Geubbels has played about an hours worth of football since they sign him.

Edited by useless

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Pietro Pellegri and Willem Geubbels both signed for Monaco as sixteen year olds a couple of seasons back for around £20m each, Pellegri hasn't played a competitive match since 2018, and Geubbels has played about an hours worth of football since they sign him.

I think you’ve answered your own question. They were 16 then and 18 now. That doesn’t make them first team regulars at Monaco despite their fee.

Edit - Louie Barry a bargain at £3m though

Edited by rayk

9 minutes ago, rayk said:

That assumes Adama couldn’t have had the same or similar impact as Adomah. And we got promoted three years later....hardly a vindication.

Adama 17/18 - 34 games, 5 goals, 10 assists. Lost in play off semi final

Albert 17/18 - 39 games, 14 goals, 5 assists, lost in play off final

It does assume that. Correctly. Adama hasn't been a world beater for 5 years since he (btw) forced his way out the club saying he wouldn't play in the championship. He was back in the champ 2 years later playing pulisball. Adomah was a great servant to the club 

• Like 4

I wasn't asking any questions, I was just giving examples of teenage footballers that have moved for huge sums and not made an immediate impact. From what I've heard this Silva that Wolves have signed is meant to be a big prospect, and it's a surprise that he hasn't gone to someone like Juventus, Real Madrid or Atlético, that said there's still an element of risk to it with him having so little experience.

The biggest risk to Wolves will come not from whether he comes good or not, but more because they've essentially spent £35m on a player that's going to be a backup option, so that's £35m less they've got to spend on strengthening their first team which as good as they've done does need strengthening, although then again they managed to sell Costa and Caveleiro for £40m after Leeds and Fulham's promotions, two players they didn't want, those sales alone will have paid for Silva.

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Adama 17/18 - 34 games, 5 goals, 10 assists. Lost in play off semi final

Albert 17/18 - 39 games, 14 goals, 5 assists, lost in play off final

It does assume that. Correctly. Adama hasn't been a world beater for 5 years since he (btw) forced his way out the club saying he wouldn't play in the championship. He was back in the champ 2 years later playing pulisball. Adomah was a great servant to the club 

And one was about 10 years younger than the other. Such a short term view of it all...who would you rather have now in the squad, Adama or Adomah?