Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

Which is why we....Villa....have ended up buying Wes.

Yes, Wes came from Belgium and yes we bought JPA back in the day.......but it’s silly to exclude that market now.

I think you missed the conversation I was having with Steero because you are well off topic to what we were talking about.

Just now, villan-scott said:

Wilson did his ACL in one knee came back and did it in the other knee. Wasn’t a repeat injury, just desperately unlucky. Likelihood of it reoccurring is very slim I’d say. It’s not like a thigh strain. Plus he’s played nearly every game for about 2 and a half seasons now. I’d say he’s over the injuries. 

My bad, didn't know. Whilst bad luck,  I know Villa and our history with luck so dont see the two mixing well. Putting superstition aside, an ACL injury in both knees is arguably even more of a concern. 28, that scar tissue still in existence,  just screams to me that its a case of when, not if.

If he stayed fit though, we're still only getting someone who only scored 8 goals last season. I would back Watkins to score 8 and offer more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Portugal U19 eh. Must be worth the money and be PL ready. 

That’s ridiculous, that’s like saying Louie Barry isn’t worth £3m as a 16 year old just because he’s English.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Uninspiring so far but plenty of time. I feel as long as Smith has any say and he head coach our signings will always be somewhat uninspiring (at the outset)That’s not to say they won’t be successful and I’m guilty as hell as being a football snob ... 

Wolves we’re making more ambitious signings than us in the championship 3 years ago though. Wilson smacks of safety first and shows little ambition

I have a sneaking feeling that if we get off to a poor start, Dean will be under a lot of pressure. Most of the links we have are with players he's coached or tried to sign before (in the championship). 

I keep coming back to a fear of mine that Smith is one of, if not the least, attractive manager for potential signings in the Premier League.

I still have faith in him for this season, but I think that might drastically change by the end of the transfer window

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rolta said:

How much of Forest did you really watch? When did Guilbert actually ever look good? I mean, he was OK sometimes, but I struggle to say he was ever more than that. You say he was a standout fullback in France, but what does that actually mean? Was he standout in his team, or was he genuinely one of the standout fullbacks in the French league? If he was one of the standout fullbacks how come we were the only people in for him as a lowly Championship club?

I like Guilbert, but I think RB is one of the obvious positions we had to improve on. It wasn't as pressing as the front three (thinking of Jack as a CM/AM), and maybe not as pressing as a first team midfielder (if Jack is going to play wide left), but he struggled to make much of an impression on the games. He had flashes, but not enough for me. He can improve of course, and he'll have to if he wants to keep the spot now there's more competition.

In terms of defensive stats, Fred was the 6th highest fullback, and for attacking stats, he was fourth, in a team that finished bottom.

Even in the prem he was mid table (14th iirc) in defensive stats and attacking stats (16th iirc).

Cash, in the championship was the 8th and 11th ranked fullback in defensive of offensive stats.

Considering the gap in quality between the prem and champ seems to me fred is the better player right now.

And i saw 11 live games, and highlights from all forests games last season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I read somewhere that Villa aren't looking to play Callum Wilson as a lone striker and that they want to play him and Watkins up front together. If there is truth in that no way do I see Villa playing 4-4-2. That suggests to me we would be playing 5-3-2 as that was the first formation change that Smith went to last season and it looked decent for a while. 

With that in mind, and the fact that we aren't really being linked with a right-sided forward, does anyone else wonder if Villa will start the season with a formation and lineup something like this:

------------------------Romero---------------------

--------Konsa-------Engels-----Mings-------

Cash-----------Luiz--------McGinn---Targett

------------------------Grealish--------------------

-------------Wilson-------------Watkins-----------

Cash and Targett are both good at getting forward and delivering crosses into the box. That formation pretty much gives Grealish a free role too. We can go 5-3-2 without the ball and a 3-5-2 with it. 

Obviously, that involves signing three players that are currently heavily linked with. I also expect that Smith would want another centre back to play in there instead of Engels. Maybe sign another left-sided centre back to play where Mings is and have Mings as the centre of the three? 

Any thoughts? 

If we are considering this, we desperately need at least 1 and probably 2 new cbs

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For the people who think transfers are like Football Manager transfers

And for anyone who can't be bothered to watch it... (I did yesterday) it came down to the '3 F's'

Football - How do they play
Finance - How much will I get
Family - How does a move to the club affect my family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

If we are considering this, we desperately need at least 1 and probably 2 new cbs

Yep and midfielders and a new left back as that system isn't for Taylor.

It also makes Jota, Trez, AEG useless (insert pun)

Personally I don't think this system is going to be used.

Cash and Targett are very attack minded full-backs, I remember watching Forest last season and wondered why they were playing with three wingers until I realised that Cash was playing right-back, he was creating more havoc than Adomah and Lolley from out wide. With that in mind we definitley need someone else in midfied who can add a bit of steel, whether it be another DM to go alongside Luiz or a box-to-box midfielder that's very good at the defensive side of the game.

That McKennie sounded ideal, if we were interested in him then hopefully we've got someone similar in mind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

And for anyone who can't be bothered to watch it... (I did yesterday) it came down to the '3 F's'

Football - How do they play
Finance - How much will I get
Family - How does a move to the club affect my family.

I just watched it now and found it a bit condescending. I remember when we signed Ashley Westwood from Crewe and we produced a dossier about how many times we had watched him play. That was in 2012/13.

We may have done that less under Spud, because of Spud “Awaaaaay.....you’ll love it here lad’.

But seriously since Sawiris and Eden’s have come in I reckon we are top draw professionally.

Edited by rayk