Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, The_Steve said:

I highly doubt we outbidded them by £1m and then withdrew because he wasn’t interested. I don’t by the media narrative at all. 

If he and his family are Cov fans, then he’ll never want to play for us. Coventry fans see villa as an arch enemy. 
ricky gervais laughing GIF

always makes me laugh because they’re ain’t even on our radar 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I highly doubt we outbidded them by £1m and then withdrew because he wasn’t interested. I don’t buy the media narrative at all. 

Yeah it's daft - if the decision was in the hands of the player then both clubs (if real) would have gone no higher than each other. Am sure there was some smoke from Villa and interest, but am also sure NUFC are not running such a balanced wage structure as us - I reckon Wilson has a very good contract with them if he goes there. 

• Like 1

It does indeed look as though we are not an attractive proposition for players at the moment. I guess we have no London pull & no scenic seaside living to offer unlike most other clubs in the division. Add to that a newbie & relatively unknown manager with not much pull outside of Championship players & below & then of course the fact we are bottom of the list regards a safe bet to stay up after last seasons last gasp escape.

As for losing out to the Barcodes on Wilson  they can offer a much more pleasant setting to live in, Larger crowds than we can currently accommodate & a more established / safer standing in the Prem as things stand. Add to this i don't think we've heard the last of their takeover yet either which may well have been explained to the player when he met with them. This takeover by the Saudi blokes is not dead from what i've heard. I do wonder if the whole "pulling out" thing was merely part of a temporary pause to let all the noise die down. If that's the case, or even possibly the case you can see why he chose them, especially with all of the above added into the mix too.

If the Spurs interest in Watkins is true that would explain the delays there in my opinion as the player has likely been tipped off to hold fire. Hopefully it's just more Sunday Mirror & Nixon BS though.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

It’s just not correct to say Callum Wilson is shite, he’s proven to be a decent premier league CF. Look, it’s disappointing to lose out to other clubs when you go after a player, and the club clearly wanted Wilson. So it’s not a sign that we’re looking to do bigger things, it’s simply a sign that we lost out on a player this time. We might move on to bigger things, but this is a punch we have to roll with. As it happens I’ve always maintained that Josh King is the better forward at Bournemouth, and I wouldn’t mind seeing him at Villa. 
What this transfer window might end up showing us is that the common denominator in our transfer struggles is Purslow. 

Why isn't it correct. He is ageing, had some very serious injuries in his career and might be okay for a club like Fulham etc. but it's not the type of player that suits our narrative in what we are looking to build.

We have seen enough shite like this signed in players like Beye, N'Zogbia, Lansbury, Richards etc. and it is surprising why many of us still encourage such signings.

It won't be the first time Purslow has been a common denominator in **** up transfers now.

Just pop into Liverpool and ask them what they thought of Mr Purslow and his handling of transfers. I hope CP has learned from his mistakes since then.

He hid behind Suso last time, I don't think he will dodge the bullet this time in such a crucial season.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m still very confident we will sign Watkins. Beyond that who knows!  Looks like we play Sheffield United and Fulham with what we currently have. Two very important games.

Hopefully we will see our new best 11 by the time we play Leicester.

Fulham game will be interesting.

You'd like to think we would be a level above them.

This has been a miserable transfer window. Wilson rejecting us to go to the barcodes really is embarrassing considering they have a manager who plays negative football and who we binned off 2 years ago because he wasn't good enough. Newcastle who failed to get bought and are a laughing stock really with Mike Ashley at the club and they can still attract better players than us. The excuse that we finished 17th last season is just that, an excuse - how many of you guys on here said last season that 17th was the goal? Well done, we finished 17th and now you're saying for that reason we can't attract the players 🙄

The fact is, finishing 17th doesn't matter if a decent player has confidence in the club and where it is going. Would a player choose Newcastle over us when they themselves only finished a few places higher and have a bleak future with Ashley at the helm? Of course not. 

Very worried. We probably have about 6 decent or good PL quality players - Heaton, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn and Jack. One of them is injured. Our full backs are weak, we have no goalscorer, our wingers are poor and we don't have a proper DM. But yeah, don't worry our business will get done, despite the season starting in 2 weeks. It's no wonder people like Merson think Jack needs to move on if we're just battling for 17th every season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I still think these smaller links are paper talk and we're going to land a couple of eye-opening signings.

Wouldn't be surprised with Watkins, but in terms of Wilson etc I think it's all guff.

I’m don’t, I mean I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see any real reason to think that will happen. I think we’ve tried in fairness but we don’t seem able to attract those sort of players. I think we are really struggling this window.

• Like 1

Well at least the squad will be settled, and nearly everyone to full fitness.

I've been away from VT for a few days, is there much talk of Jack leaving? or better yet any news of him signing an improved 5 year contract?

I am a little concerned about the lack of new faces but I guess I shouldn't be, what with the quick turnaround, the extended transfer window and the fact we are a bit of hard sell at the moment.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Well at least the squad will be settled, and nearly everyone to full fitness.

I've been away from VT for a few days, is there much talk of Jack leaving? or better yet any news of him signing an improved 5 year contract?

I am a little concerned about the lack of new faces but I guess I shouldn't be, what with the quick turnaround, the extended transfer window and the fact we are a bit of hard sell at the moment.

Very unlikely Jack will leave now they have signed Van De Beek.

Starting to get tight now, but I am happy to keep the faith that we have a number of targets on the boil that neither the press, us or the twitterati have any idea about. 

Prove me right Dean and Co. (Please, please prove me right).

51 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Are we expected to believe they just have a small office with a secretary working overtime to get their transfers done one at a time too? 

We used to but it's been empty since Nicola Keye upped sticks for WestHam.

No wonder bugger all gets done anymore.  ;)

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m don’t, I mean I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see any real reason to think that will happen. I think we’ve tried in fairness but we don’t seem able to attract those sort of players. I think we are really struggling this window.

We signed a bucket full of players last summer without too much drama. Agree with @NurembergVillan that we’re at least trying for a higher standard of player which is causing the delay. I also don’t think much will happen before this round of internationals are finished in midweek and players return to their clubs. 

We go forwards or we go backwards, there’s no standing still in this league. The owners won’t accept the latter, imo.