Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We need to show more ambition and go for that Callumio Da Willsio. 

His agent should change his name by deed poll to just Callum and forge a Brazilian passport = £50m and people on here would be drooling. 

Edited by Steero113

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Will he though????

"He'll be class for them" - he's played once for the first team. It's the equivalent of paying £35m for an academy player based totally on hype from their u23 coaches and nothing more.

If we had done this there would be pandemonium as he has done materially nothing other than be an exotic name that no one has heard of...

He's played 21 times for the first time actually, which is very impressive as he's only recently turned 18

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Nuno has a great record in the market, rarely misses to be fair. Only one I can think of was Cutrone.

I can name 20 teenagers who at the time were bought for monster money based on little to no senior games and turned out to be flops. This is a big gamble. 

Happy to eat my words if he turns out to be Henry in 2 years time of course 

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Ambitious owners, CEO & Top name manager goes a long way. I am grateful to smith and what he has achieved and cannot be too critical of the job he has done... That said I do feel he does lack the nous and draw so we will have to hope that when it comes to it I’m wrong like I usually am, and Wilson is a smoke screen for Paston Daka. 

here here

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

His agent should change his name by deed poll to just Callum and forge a Brazilian passport = £50m and people on here would be drooling. 

Can think of a player who is Brazilian and plays as a striker for us now and already gets abuse constantly and unfairly, and arguably would have a similar record to Wilson last season but for an injury.  So I think the foreign thing you are implying is not as bad as your comment.

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We seriously do not want/need Wilson. Sign Watkins and play him down the middle and Wes can join him in a couple of moths if we aim to play a front two - Samatta can play until then. 

Bit of a risk to start the season with an untried Watkins, struggling Samatta and a goal shy Davis.  At least a loan for six months until Wes gets back, surely must be somebody out there.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can think of a player who is Brazilian and plays as a striker for us now and already gets abuse constantly and unfairly, and arguably would have a similar record to Wilson last season but for an injury.  So I think the foreign thing you are implying is not as bad as your comment.

My comment is valid, the luxurious foreigner hype of a new incoming signing or unattainable target skews people’s opinions on every forum something rotten. 

then people are brought down to earth (I.e Wesley) and u-turn towards “never rating them in the first place”

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

My comment is valid, the luxurious foreigner hype of a new incoming signing or unattainable target skews people’s opinions on every forum something rotten. 

then people are brought down to earth (I.e Wesley) and u-turn towards “never rating them in the first place”

While I agree with you mostly I think as the last few decades have gone by it’s so much less as time has gone on because we all watch multiple leagues now, have stats on every player and they play each other more so South America is different but European foreigners less so these days. The world has got smaller.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I can name 20 teenagers who at the time were bought for monster money based on little to no senior games and turned out to be flops. This is a big gamble. 

Go on then.

So called smaller clubs pull off ambitious transfers every year,  like every transfer some work out & some fail.  It’s all about the £££ which approach to take, the level of ambition, and I guess the project timescale.

Maybe after last year it has been decided this summer we need to sign, proven, ready for the English game first team players after too many players signed from all over last summer ( somewhat out of necessity ).

IF we survive, than I’d expect S.4.0 of NSWE will be different again in terms of focus once agin and we be in for players of the ilk of Belotti, Daka, Baumgartner & Szoboszlai etc  ( Oh and Kelvin Phillips 😁 )  and look to raise the quality in one or two key areas with next level talent and build from there. 

Would prefer a gamble on the unproven than a gamble on someone that has proven to be "ok". Especially when that ok includes a serious length of time on the sidelines with a repeat cruciate injury (even if it hasn't recurred recently, you now it will and it will with us).

If Wilson signs for Newcastle and has a great season, I'd stand by those comments. If he signs for us i won't be upset, but will be praying he doesn't get injured and hoping he has his best season ever. I know he's better than what we've got, but would prefer Watkins or even Edouard (even though the scottish PL is trash).

Not thrilled by any of the options, but for where we are i understand them. Just hope whoever we end up with is signed soon.

Edited by MrBlack

42 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Nuno has a great record in the market, rarely misses to be fair. Only one I can think of was Cutrone.

Does Nuno have much say on transfers?  I thought he was more an excellent coach who gets the most out of what Mendes gives him (which is usually really talented players that otherwise wouldn't touch Wolves with someone else's bargepole).

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Obviously he's foreign and expensive. How much havevyou seen him him play outside computer games? 

Seen him play for Portugal’s under 19, shone above everyone else in the game

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I agree with you mostly I think as the last few decades have gone by it’s so much less as time has gone on because we all watch multiple leagues now, have stats on every player and they play each other more so South America is different but European foreigners less so these days. The world has got smaller.

Which is why we....Villa....have ended up buying Wes.

Yes, Wes came from Belgium and yes we bought JPA back in the day.......but it’s silly to exclude that market now.

37 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I’ll top you and raise you and name 50+ world class players who at the time we’re bought for monster money based on past performances and turned out to be flops. All transfers are gambles. 

Im jealous they are ahead of us and can spend £36 mill on an 18 yo prospect. But we are on our own path and this summer, isn’t the time for us to be taking that risk, IMO. Hopefully, give it a season or two and we will be. 

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Would prefer a gamble on the unproven than a gamble on someone that has proven to be "ok". Especially when that ok includes a serious length of time on the sidelines with a repeat cruciate injury (even if it hasn't recurred recently, you now it will and it will with us).

Wilson did his ACL in one knee came back and did it in the other knee. Wasn’t a repeat injury, just desperately unlucky. Likelihood of it reoccurring is very slim I’d say. It’s not like a thigh strain. Plus he’s played nearly every game for about 2 and a half seasons now. I’d say he’s over the injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1