Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Despite signing smart, proven players, that will help us take the next step of cementing our place back in this league. I still want us to sign 1 or 2 foreigners where the potential ceiling is high enough for that player to become a player we normally wouldn't find available to us. Once the potential CL quality players become CL players, they are not in our reach (at the moment). So we need to get in early and take some punts. 

So please sign a mix between Watkins/Wilsons and some continental gambles. 

I understand this fascination that someone from abroad will be cheaper, better and higher potential but it’s not realistic.

If it was that easy everyone will be doing it. 

Sevilla, Lyon or Dortmund do make the signings of 23 year old for the same kind of money as Cash to then be lauded for it 2 years later.

Im happy for us to take a punt and then be praised for unearthing a gem no one else saw, these players can be from the UK.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

IMO Fred is better than Cash right now.  cash will undoubtedly be better in the future, but Cash isn't a signing i feel improves the 1st 11.

We still desperately need 2 wide players and a striker as a minimum.  I would probably add a CM, CB and GK to that list.

I think it’s highly unlikely we’ll have spent £13-15m on a backup rightback. I’m confident Cash will go straight into the side (or, at least, Smith is planning to, after maybe playing Elmo/Guilbert for the first few games of the season, like he did with Elmo and Taylor last season).

• Like 1

Jamal Lewis at 13m is excellent business. We should be in on that. 

Transfers really confuse me. I know we keep quiet as a club but there is so little happening at the moment.

Im not panicking and still not worried but there comes a point where you have to ask what they’re playing at. We haven’t had one credible link to a wide player yet, an area we are in desperate need of reinforcements. 

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I understand this fascination that someone from abroad will be cheaper, better and higher potential but it’s not realistic.

If it was that easy everyone will be doing it. 

Sevilla, Lyon or Dortmund do make the signings of 23 year old for the same kind of money as Cash to then be lauded for it 2 years later.

Im happy for us to take a punt and then be praised for unearthing a gem no one else saw, these players can be from the UK.

Judging by the links they seem to be going for young homegrown talent are you looking to improve But if we don’t sign some experience I’m sure questions will be asked

Edited by Follyfoot

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I think it’s highly unlikely we’ll have spent £13-15m on a backup rightback. I’m confident Cash will go straight into the side (or, at least, Smith is planning to, after maybe playing Elmo/Guilbert for the first few games of the season, like he did with Elmo and Taylor last season).

Well, i watch a fair amount of Forest last season, and i saw nothing from Cash that made him look as good as Fred, and he was playing lesser opposition.

His defending isnt great, has a habit of not tracking back and losing his man, just like Fred, and his crossing isnt brilliant either.

Fred was a standout fullback in his last season in france in a very poor team.  And he improved a lot towards the end of the season.  Fred has the experience at a higher level than Cash and has proven his ability at that level.  Putting Cash into the team early this season could break him.  Used in rotation this season, to take over next season would be in the players and the clubs best interests.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

We’ll improve on a relegation scrap if we avoid losing our first choice keeper and first choice striker for half a season, and our best box-to-box midfielder for a third of the season.

Every team gets injuries, but we were probably the most unlucky team last season, in that we lost 3 of our first choice ‘spine’ players for 3-6 months each.

Adding in Watkins, Wilson and Cash into last years side would have seen us finish comfortably safe, like Brighton. Adding Heaton (or Romero) and McGinn to that side probably would have seen us finish around 12/13th like Everton/ Newcastle.

Problem is that we are likely to get injuries this season because as you say everybody gets injuries.  If Jack gets injured for a spell, there goes our creativity, Mings gets injured our strongest defender.  We then are relying on risks like Cash and Watkins who we don’t know if they can step up to this level.  You cant do anything about injuries But you can do something about your purchases and you either buy solid players or quality, the links we have are neither.  It doesn’t fill me will confidence, at the moment I feel we’ll be in a relegation fight next season.  That won’t be due to injuries it’ll be to do with recruitment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Transfers really confuse me. I know we keep quiet as a club but there is so little happening at the moment.

Im not panicking and still not worried but there comes a point where you have to ask what they’re playing at. We haven’t had one credible link to a wide player yet, an area we are in desperate need of reinforcements. 

The club knows this, has stated they are working hard to bring in reinforcements and play their cards very close to the chest.

When McGinn said Edens personally messaged the team after survival and said they were going to strengthen I stopped being concerned. The bloke has pedigree for doing what he says & if Purslow doesn’t deliver he’ll be out on his arse. Same goes for Dean.  

We’re all impatient for new signings to be sorted, but I genuinely think they’re going to surprise us. Securing quality will take time given our relative position in the table, but we have time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

The club knows this, has stated they are working hard to bring in reinforcements and play their cards very close to the chest.

When McGinn said Edens personally messaged the team after survival and said they were going to strengthen I stopped being concerned. The bloke has pedigree for doing what he says & if Purslow doesn’t deliver he’ll be out on his arse. Same goes for Dean.  

We’re all impatient for new signings to be sorted, but I genuinely think they’re going to surprise us. Securing quality will take time given our relative position in the table, but we have time. 

Sounds good, just concerned we have a week before the season starts and yes the transfer window doesn’t close then but it’s all uninspiring at the moment.  So I hope it changes and we do get some surprises but time is ticking past fast.  

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

concerned we have a week before the season starts and yes the transfer window doesn’t close then but it’s all uninspiring at the moment.  So I hope it changes and we do get some surprises but time is ticking past fast.  

True, but it’s also a freakish year with Covid and everything being moved around. I’d rather have plan A signings arrive before/on Oct 5th than plan C’s by September the 5th. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Well, i watch a fair amount of Forest last season, and i saw nothing from Cash that made him look as good as Fred, and he was playing lesser opposition.

His defending isnt great, has a habit of not tracking back and losing his man, just like Fred, and his crossing isnt brilliant either.

Fred was a standout fullback in his last season in france in a very poor team.  And he improved a lot towards the end of the season.  Fred has the experience at a higher level than Cash and has proven his ability at that level.  Putting Cash into the team early this season could break him.  Used in rotation this season, to take over next season would be in the players and the clubs best interests.

How much of Forest did you really watch? When did Guilbert actually ever look good? I mean, he was OK sometimes, but I struggle to say he was ever more than that. You say he was a standout fullback in France, but what does that actually mean? Was he standout in his team, or was he genuinely one of the standout fullbacks in the French league? If he was one of the standout fullbacks how come we were the only people in for him as a lowly Championship club?

I like Guilbert, but I think RB is one of the obvious positions we had to improve on. It wasn't as pressing as the front three (thinking of Jack as a CM/AM), and maybe not as pressing as a first team midfielder (if Jack is going to play wide left), but he struggled to make much of an impression on the games. He had flashes, but not enough for me. He can improve of course, and he'll have to if he wants to keep the spot now there's more competition.

I read somewhere that Villa aren't looking to play Callum Wilson as a lone striker and that they want to play him and Watkins up front together. If there is truth in that no way do I see Villa playing 4-4-2. That suggests to me we would be playing 5-3-2 as that was the first formation change that Smith went to last season and it looked decent for a while. 

With that in mind, and the fact that we aren't really being linked with a right-sided forward, does anyone else wonder if Villa will start the season with a formation and lineup something like this:

------------------------Romero---------------------

--------Konsa-------Engels-----Mings-------

Cash-----------Luiz--------McGinn---Targett

------------------------Grealish--------------------

-------------Wilson-------------Watkins-----------

Cash and Targett are both good at getting forward and delivering crosses into the box. That formation pretty much gives Grealish a free role too. We can go 5-3-2 without the ball and a 3-5-2 with it. 

Obviously, that involves signing three players that are currently heavily linked with. I also expect that Smith would want another centre back to play in there instead of Engels. Maybe sign another left-sided centre back to play where Mings is and have Mings as the centre of the three? 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that we are likely to get injuries this season because as you say everybody gets injuries.  If Jack gets injured for a spell, there goes our creativity, Mings gets injured our strongest defender.  We then are relying on risks like Cash and Watkins who we don’t know if they can step up to this level.  You cant do anything about injuries But you can do something about your purchases and you either buy solid players or quality, the links we have are neither.  It doesn’t fill me will confidence, at the moment I feel we’ll be in a relegation fight next season.  That won’t be due to injuries it’ll be to do with recruitment.

The point I’m making is this. Last season, before Konsa and Luiz improved post lockdown, most would have said that our best players were: Heaton, Mings, Grealish & McGinn. So, we lost 1/2 of those players to serious injury. Then, we gambled and spent a large fee on one striker, who we also lost for 1/2 a season.

Aside from that list of 4 ‘best players’ plus our one senior striker, we would have been effected less if we’d lost ANY other player to injury.

I haven’t seen many teams lose 3 out of 5 of their key players for 3-6 months each. So even though we can and will pick up injuries, it’s unlikely we’ll be that unlucky again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

True, but it’s also a freakish year with Covid and everything being moved around. I’d rather have plan A signings arrive before/on Oct 5th than plan C’s by September the 5th. 

Problem is we won’t know what Plan A signings are and we won’t know how we did until Oct 5th who all our signings are and then maybe they are Plan C because we got desperate at the end because we tried so for Plan A and then B for so long with no success.

Hopefully the Wilsons of this world are plan C, Watkins is our second striker and we are still after a quality striker and some wide creative players we haven’t heard of yet.

22 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Guilbert pass completion 50%. Cash pass completion 75%. That’s only one stat, from different leagues, but that alone looks like an improvement - and I’m a fan of Fred.

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

How much of Forest did you really watch? When did Guilbert actually ever look good? I mean, he was OK sometimes, but I struggle to say he was ever more than that. You say he was a standout fullback in France, but what does that actually mean? Was he standout in his team, or was he genuinely one of the standout fullbacks in the French league? If he was one of the standout fullbacks how come we were the only people in for him as a lowly Championship club?

I like Guilbert, but I think RB is one of the obvious positions we had to improve on. It wasn't as pressing as the front three (thinking of Jack as a CM/AM), and maybe not as pressing as a first team midfielder (if Jack is going to play wide left), but he struggled to make much of an impression on the games. He had flashes, but not enough for me. He can improve of course, and he'll have to if he wants to keep the spot now there's more competition.

I’m with flashinqwerty, I like Cash but Fred was good.  I think the same flaws Fred has is the same as Cash.  Even forest fans mention his sometimes positional awareness isn’t there and Cash hasn’t been tried at PL level yet so Fred maybe should get initially the nod.  I know that be the case because of the fee but I’m not convinced this was a purchase we needed to make as a priority and I’m not convinced it’s an upgrade at this point in time.

• Like 1