Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Especially considering that we have a history of buying good foreign players that we call shit after 3 games. Season or two later we eat humble pie.

Vertout, Guaye, Gollini, Luiz, Amavi, and I have a strong feeling Samatta will be on that list.

Fact check those players progress post villa.

28 minutes ago, Sgl said:

I like to criticise as much as the next villa fan (it’s practically a nervous tic at this point) but come on, be realistic. I would have bitten my own arm off for the outcome (despite some individual results) of the last 2 years. They have earned our thanks given where they have brought (and kept) us. If they are not the answer, then I think @beachboys1and I are asking very different questions. 

good point taken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayk said:

Couldn’t agree more.

But they will go into meltdown if they sell Rice as well.

Interesting how this will play out but I understand they are desperate for defenders. Money could be invested wisely

12 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I'd be heading there in the morning to rescue Snodgrass if I was Dean Smith. Even if he doesn't play he'd be a great squad option and a top lad 

Absolutely. Ok, he's 33 soon (on Monday!) but he's probably in better shape than he was when he was with us. If he was cheap i'd have him for a year or two. Would be a god option and a strong character. 

I often felt we lacked a bit of character last year. Must be difficult for a lot of overseas players coming to a club to fit in and be themselves straight away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Veretout - Played regularly for Fiorentina for 2 years, then moved on loan to Roma last season, was a regular starter as they finished 5th in Serie A

Gueye - Became one of the best DMs in the Premier League for Everton for 3 seasons and then moved last season to PSG for £30m, where he has rotated with Veratti, Paredes and Herrera

Gollini - Atalanta's starting GK and has been a part of a team that reached the Champion's League for the first time in Atalanta's history, then got to the QFs and finished 3rd in Serie A this season, which was they're joint highest finish with the 3rd place the year before.

Amavi - Regular starter at Marseille for the past 3 years in which they have finished 4th, 5th and then 2nd (basically like winning the title considering PSG run away with the league every season :P) in Ligue 1.

All done pretty well considering some were considered not good enough for the championship.

No they weren't considered good enough for PL. (Gueye excepted)

When we were relegated most of them wanted out. Veretout has since admitted he his heart was never in it at villa. 

I think the notion that these have all gone on to be world beaters is false. Granted some could hold there own in the PL - but there's very few international caps there.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haven't we already spunked enough wages on dressing room mascots over the years?

Sure we can hire "top lads" from Craigslist or Facebook for a fraction of the price?

The last was Micah, the current one is Lansbury.

How does one apply to be a "top lad" around the place for 40 k plus per week? Lol

Just something people say.....meaningless ....as big Ron used to say "can he play ?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haven't we already spunked enough wages on dressing room mascots over the years?

Sure we can hire "top lads" from Craigslist or Facebook for a fraction of the price?

The last was Micah, the current one is Lansbury.

How does one apply to be a "top lad" around the place for 40 k plus per week? Lol

I think character is incredibly important and a happy motivated dressing room is better than any other mindset. If you're spunking 40k per week on a dressing room mascot it's good to have a guy everyone likes, who's played hundreds of prem games and won the league. 

Snodgrass could easily get in our current side despite his lack of pace and would be someone younger players could learn from. He'd be better to train with / against than a lad off Facebook I'd imagine and would do a better job when called upon. 

Not that we're linked or ever going to sign him so I dunno why I mentioned it tbh 🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think character is incredibly important and a happy motivated dressing room is better than any other mindset. If you're spunking 40k per week on a dressing room mascot it's good to have a guy everyone likes, who's played hundreds of prem games and won the league. 

Snodgrass could easily get in our current side despite his lack of pace and would be someone younger players could learn from. He'd be better to train with / against than a lad off Facebook I'd imagine and would do a better job when called upon. 

Not that we're linked or ever going to sign him so I dunno why I mentioned it tbh 🙃

I don’t mean to be rude but I can’t help but get so frustrated with suggestions or links to players like this... it demonstrates little to no ambition at all and is so short sighted and such a waste of money.

The amount of times I’ve seen ppl bring up names like Barry, Benteke, Albrighton (and Snoddy too, who I did like in the championship  but did F all in the POF when we needed him most) beggars belief. And it’s been going on for far too long. It’s a small minded or small club mentality that I wish a lot of fans would escape from...

Aging players on high wages is very much the last thing that we need!

If we want to kick on & progress and become a proper PL team then we have to get away from this kind of thinking and sentimentality. We need to get quality players in who are going to improve year on year and to develop and strengthen what will become a really strong team. That is the best approach you can have (if you sign the right players) if you actually want to achieve something and get somewhere.

And if certain players aren’t good enough or developing quickly enough then we have to move them on and not waste time with them (sorry but, for example, Davis. But much worse are players like Taylor, Nyland, Lansbury) unless they can genuinely offer something and help the team e.g. strikers need to score goals, midfielders need to create, defenders defend etc. etc. 

We’re finally back in the PL now, no more F’ing about please...

I’m really sorry (and please don’t see this as a personal attack, it really isn’t) but I am utterly exhausted and even disappointed by this kind of thinking and it has been going on for far too long...

Let’s make something of ourselves and restore some pride back in the “Aston Villa” name and firmly kick the other, much lesser, clubs and fans back in their place.

No more backwards thinking and wasted resources and... no more passengers in this team!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fact check those players progress post villa.

Can’t be arsed to fact check, as others have, not sure anyone said they were world beaters but if the club and ‘fans’ had got behind them a bit more we would be better off than we are now as they have become far better players in the following seasons and better than we replaced them with. The problem is if a player doesn’t become a Messi in his first 3 games he isn’t good enough for the Villa . Look at the the current transfer threads no one is universally accepted as being good enough and they haven’t kicked a ball yet, we are a very poor premier league team at the moment, who isn’t goIng to attract top international players. They don’t care that we were one of the founding league teams, that we were good in the late 1800’ s and early/mid 1900’s, or even European cup winners with a few smaller domestic cups in recent years, the top players will go to the top teams, we are not at that level and will have to settle for more risky transfers, some will work , others won’t but unless the fan base get behind them and give them time the type of player we are able to attract will more than likely be another Amavi, Gollini, Veretout, and Gueye and go on to succeed somewhere else.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

No they weren't considered good enough for PL. (Gueye excepted)

When we were relegated most of them wanted out. Veretout has since admitted he his heart was never in it at villa. 

I think the notion that these have all gone on to be world beaters is false. Granted some could hold there own in the PL - but there's very few international caps there.

Amavi and Gollini were both regularly called liabilities and not good enough in the Championship. Some even said that Taylor was a much, much better player than Amavi a couple of months after he had signed. I think half of the players mentioned is enough to be considered "some of them".

Also, who said they were world beaters? The post you quoted simply said "good foreign players", regular starters for Champions League and Europa League sides are surely considered good players.

• Like 3