Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

One variable some are forgetting is that the players we currently have will be better for the experience of last season. They should improve by around 2-3% which collectively at premier League level is a massive jump.

That is not lost on me, Sully. I have said all last season a that, if we could stay up, those players who are new to the country or Premier League, or both, would be better next (this) season because they would be more settled and have that first season's experience under their belts. 

I expect Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Wesley, Guilbert, Targett, Trezeguet all to be better.

I suspect with El Ghazi that we have a player on our hands who is one that will never reach his full potential for whatever reason. He is too quick to sulk and play within himself. I think Davis just doesn't have the natural instincts of a goalscorer and will sadly become a player who excels in the Championship as best. Hourihane is nearer to 30 than 20 and just doesn't have the pace nor physicality for the top flight. He has his talents but they are more at home in the Championship imo. 

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The point I’m making is this. Last season, before Konsa and Luiz improved post lockdown, most would have said that our best players were: Heaton, Mings, Grealish & McGinn. So, we lost 1/2 of those players to serious injury. Then, we gambled and spent a large fee on one striker, who we also lost for 1/2 a season.

Aside from that list of 4 ‘best players’ plus our one senior striker, we would have been effected less if we’d lost ANY other player to injury.

I haven’t seen many teams lose 3 out of 5 of their key players for 3-6 months each. So even though we can and will pick up injuries, it’s unlikely we’ll be that unlucky again. 

My issue is that we arent adding to the key players.  Cash certainly isn’t, I wouldnot say Wilson would be.  Watkins....who knows if he can step up.  One season as striker and all our hopes pin on him....it’s a massive risk.

Just feels we are putting ourselves in the same position as last season and a few bad injuries and we are screwed.  Hope we do buy some quality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That is not lost on me, Sully. I have said all last season a that, if we could stay up, those players who are new to the country or Premier League, or both, would be better next (this) season because they would be more settled and have that first season's experience under their belts. 

I expect Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Wesley, Guilbert, Targett, Trezeguet all to be better.

I suspect with El Ghazi that we have a player on our hands who is one that will never reach his full potential for whatever reason. He is too quick to sulk and play within himself. I think Davis just doesn't have the natural instincts of a goalscorer and will sadly become a player who excels in the Championship as best. Hourihane is nearer to 30 than 20 and just doesn't have the pace nor physicality for the top flight. He has his talents but they are more at home in the Championship imo. 

We need to improve but if needs be last season's squad can do a job for a couple of games. However Watkins if our first choice is a must for us as I believe his movement will help the likes of AEG and Trez , Grealish will benefit from his pace and movement.

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We need to improve but if needs be last season's squad can do a job for a couple of games. However Watkins if our first choice is a must for us as I believe his movement will help the likes of AEG and Trez , Grealish will benefit from his pace and movement.

And what if Watkins is ineffective at PL? There is certainly no guarantee and is likely 50/50 that he’ll be good for us.  All eggs in this basket seems crazy to me especially when his support staff are AEG and Trez who struggled to support Grealish for much of last season so to a newbie to the PL it’s going to be even harder.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

And what if Watkins is ineffective at PL? There is certainly no guarantee and is likely 50/50 that he’ll be good for us.  All eggs in this basket seems crazy to me especially when his support staff are AEG and Trez who struggled to support Grealish for much of last season so to a newbie to the PL it’s going to be even harder.

Then we're fooked! But I like his movement, he makes poor crosses into good ones.

However my number 1 choice is and has been Patson Daka from the start of the lockdown. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That's why we are looking at Wilson as well, as he is a proven Premier league striker. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

However my number 1 choice is and has been Patson Daka from the start of the lockdown. 

He’s been linked to Liverpool, Arse and Utd. Amazing but out of our reach unfortunately. Supposed to have a release clause of 20M from Salzburg too! 

Have to say whilst i like the Cash signing & the Watkins links, as Nick76 says they are unknown quantities at this level.

The likes of Callum Wilson who have that crucial Premier League experience in abundance, are being signed under our noses by the likes of The Barcodes as we speak. Whether we manage to attract some of these experienced types will likely dictate whether we finish comfortably mid table this season or have another battle on our hands. We do need do get some experience in otherwise we are pretty much "Hail-Marying" next season in my view. It may come off but it may not.

Our only really experienced  players at this level (Discounting the 1 seasons worth they all gained last time out) are Tom Heaton,  Elmo & Neil Taylor with Swansea & i guess you could include Grealish to a point if he stays. The rest are still raw in Premier League terms. Hopefully last season will have helped them of course but i still feel we need a bit more hardened Premier League quality in there personally. I have faith the recruitment team will sort this however given time but we neeed to stop losing players to what will be our main rivals this season, like the Barcodes etc.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I understand this fascination that someone from abroad will be cheaper, better and higher potential but it’s not realistic.

If it was that easy everyone will be doing it. 

Sevilla, Lyon or Dortmund do make the signings of 23 year old for the same kind of money as Cash to then be lauded for it 2 years later.

Im happy for us to take a punt and then be praised for unearthing a gem no one else saw, these players can be from the UK.

I agree and I'm not saying it's easy. I'm ssying it's needed. And if we don't do it I don't see the point of Lange or our scouting department. 

15 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Have to say whilst i like the Cash signing & the Watkins links, as Nick76 says they are unknown quantities at this level.

The likes of Callum Wilson who have that crucial Premier League experience in abundance, are being signed under our noses by the likes of The Barcodes as we speak. Whether we manage to attract some of these experienced types will likely dictate whether we finish comfortably mid table this season or have another battle on our hands. We do need do get some experience in otherwise we are pretty much "Hail-Marying" next season in my view. It may come off but it may not.

Our only really experienced  players at this level (Discounting the 1 seasons worth they all gained last time out) are Tom Heaton,  Elmo & Neil Taylor with Swansea & i guess you could include Grealish to a point if he stays. The rest are still raw in Premier League terms. Hopefully last season will have helped them of course but i still feel we need a bit more hardened Premier League quality in there personally. I have faith the recruitment team will sort this however given time but we neeed to stop losing players to what will be our main rivals this season, like the Barcodes etc.

A ‘need’ would suggest we’ve lost out to a rival. We haven’t lost any target to a rival yet. Unless you’re going off the reliability of daily mail journalist (who is Newcastle linked) saying “preference for Newcastle” in a tweet. By the same token we outgunned Wolves with Cash. Not saying it’s true or not but it was reported.

* same journalist also wrote a couple a weeks ago “Newcastle set to sign Jeff Hendrick with club set to spend next to nothing this summer” maybe 20 million is ‘next to nothing’

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Awol said:

He’s been linked to Liverpool, Arse and Utd. Amazing but out of our reach unfortunately. Supposed to have a release clause of 20M from Salzburg too! 

So why is 20m out of our reach then?

Edited by rayk

1 minute ago, rayk said:

The way this works (get a pen and a notepad kid , your gonna write this down)

20m might be the release fee 

Players agent leaks this to the club's that his client is interested in joining (this shouldn't really happen but it does)

We are now sitting over here (☹️ that's us) we know the player has no interest in joining us , so we decide we shall not bid

10 minutes ago, rayk said:

The money isn't the issue for a player like that. It's that he's been touted for a move to current Champions League teams in our league. If there's an ounce of truth in it then of course he then becomes pretty much out of reach. 

Edited by Wezbid

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t mean to be rude but I can’t help but get so frustrated with suggestions or links to players like this... it demonstrates little to no ambition at all and is so short sighted and such a waste of money.

The amount of times I’ve seen ppl bring up names like Barry, Benteke, Albrighton (and Snoddy too, who I did like in the championship  but did F all in the POF when we needed him most) beggars belief. And it’s been going on for far too long. It’s a small minded or small club mentality that I wish a lot of fans would escape from...

Aging players on high wages is very much the last thing that we need!

If we want to kick on & progress and become a proper PL team then we have to get away from this kind of thinking and sentimentality. We need to get quality players in who are going to improve year on year and to develop and strengthen what will become a really strong team. That is the best approach you can have (if you sign the right players) if you actually want to achieve something and get somewhere.

And if certain players aren’t good enough or developing quickly enough then we have to move them on and not waste time with them (sorry but, for example, Davis. But much worse are players like Taylor, Nyland, Lansbury) unless they can genuinely offer something and help the team e.g. strikers need to score goals, midfielders need to create, defenders defend etc. etc. 

We’re finally back in the PL now, no more F’ing about please...

I’m really sorry (and please don’t see this as a personal attack, it really isn’t) but I am utterly exhausted and even disappointed by this kind of thinking and it has been going on for far too long...

Let’s make something of ourselves and restore some pride back in the “Aston Villa” name and firmly kick the other, much lesser, clubs and fans back in their place.

No more backwards thinking and wasted resources and... no more passengers in this team!!

I agree with your points on the whole but I don't think it's small club mentality. I'm suggesting a player that got 5 goals and 5 assists in 24 games for a team that finished above us in the league despite being a bit of a circus, with plenty of quality wide players who could potentially all get into our team. He's a good player and a good character, that shouldn't be underestimated. 

We don't want a team of aging high earners but we need a team that can compete in this league. Sometimes you have to sign players which are over 25 and bring something other than a fancy name and highlight reel on YouTube. 

I personally think there's more to squad building than booting out anyone that isn't good enough to play in the starting XI and trying again with some replacements. Take the tweet that sparked this, we've got a premier league captain outing his club on twitter because they've sold a prospect to rival to raise funds to improve the squad. If it has a negative impact on the squad harmony it's not worth it. 

I think most teams that aren't worried about a relegation battle have 6/7 players on their books that their fans would say are simply not good enough for the side and should be shifted. Or sign a player they don't think will be a star player. I'm sure that list can change or stay the same every window too. It's just part of having a squad surely? 

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Will they score more than 1 goal between them? If the answer is yes, then it’s a good idea.

I know this is said in jest but a lot of people seem to believe it, and it's really not true. Pretty much any striker will score more than Davis and Samatta - yes. But that doesn't mean we should spend £50m on a strike duo just because they're better than the pitiful options we have. If we do, we'll be in the same situation next season (if we stay up at all) whereby we need to replace our strikers in order to improve