Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Smith on Watkins a few weeks back:

Ollie Watkins - I tried signing him a year earlier from Exeter City but he wanted to stay another year," Smith told Sky Sports.

Watkins scored 13 goals during that extra season at Exeter before eventually making the move to Brentford, and hasn't looked back.

He's hit double digit goal tallies in every season since.

"I like that at even a young age he went on loan to Weston Super-Mare and scored fourteen odd goals there at a young age. He's got a great attitude and he doesn't stop working. He's a joy to work with" added Smith.

"I played him a few times at striker. I always said to him he'd be a striker, he likes playing off the left and we felt that was the best area for him to go and get goals - but we played him at centre-forward at Bristol City away and he ran them ragged.

"Maupay came on and scored the winner and Ollie was disappointed that he didn't score. That's the sign for me of a top striker, he'll do well."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hes-everything-dean-smith-benrahma-18739909

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

Some recruitment model that....£23 mill outlay.....£278 mill return.

That's what a title win did for them. If that happened to Villa it would be gutting. Sold the squad for a shed load, barely even a whiff of champions league since!

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

So Cash in, the runes spelling the imminent arrival of Watkins, Wilson and Romero - if these all happen we are very good to go for the first game of the season. 

Not unless Watkins is going to be employed as a wide forward. We need pace and direct running on the flanks, so I think 1 more in that area is needed as well as another CM and possibly CB. 

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Not unless Watkins is going to be employed as a wide forward. We need pace and direct running on the flanks, so I think 1 more in that area is needed as well as another CM and possibly CB. 

For sure we need some more - just thinking of the first game, whoever's playing that one needs to come in pronto - hopefully we have this lot in and get the icing on the cake a couple of weeks later. FWIW, even having Wilson up top changes our prospects but yeah definitely need more yet. 

5 minutes ago, Boumasbabies said:

Romero would be my first choice. 96 International caps for Argentina. 

6'4"tall, still only 33, got 4 years left in the tank

Id prefer Martinez from Arsenal - but sensing that ship has sailed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Boumasbabies said:

Romero would be my first choice. 96 International caps for Argentina. 

6'4"tall, still only 33, got 4 years left in the tank

Don’t understand why Romero would come to Villa.  He will be fighting with Heaton for no1.  I doubt villa would guarantee him no1.  

39 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

pinch of salt considering the reporting around our interest in Romero. 

Quite like Gazzaniga and he’s 5 years younger than Romero. 

Not the first time we have been linked with Gazza:

Paul Gascoigne at 50 - A look back at ten of 'Gazza's' career defining  moments - Chronicle Live

• Like 1

We’re all guessing at values though - as are the papers. 

There’s been nothing to really calibrate against as the main spenders are Chelsea - on another planet!

Diangana to Boggies for £12-14 building up to £18-20 with a 20% sell-on is sticking and might be used as a yardstick for some other deals.

by that measure Behrahama for £20m + some small add-ons doesn’t sound ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

There is absolutely no way Brentford only value him at £20m

Everything in the Telegraph is bullshit. Especially bullshit designed to make people angry, so they seem to be aiming to enrage West Ham fans and Brentford fans simultaneously. West Ham because it makes them look like cheapskates and Brentford because they're apparently undervaluing a player. 

I like Benrahma but I wouldn't pay much more than £20m for him and I'm not sure many clubs will either, he's kind of overrated on here, if Brentford can get around £25m for him then they will be doing extremely well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Everything in the Telegraph is bullshit. Especially bullshit designed to make people angry, so they seem to be aiming to enrage West Ham fans and Brentford fans simultaneously. West Ham because it makes them look like cheapskates and Brentford because they're apparently undervaluing a player. 

But then Percy works for the Telegraph and he's the only journo we trust.

• Like 2