Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I disagree. The Championship is a far lower standard of football that the top European leagues. Players coming from top leagues are at least proven/used to playing at the top level. They're often cheaper as well

It's definitely not 'far lower' IMO and the sheer number of games and the pace they're played at make it a good proving ground for players. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

To be fair, it only seems to be when we're interested that their demands begin to grow exponentially with every article.

West ham walked away from them when tried fleece them for Hogan , lucky for them someone else was willing to pay 😬

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it's more to it then that. It's just easier to bring in foreign players and get the best out of them when they arrive at a club with a settled English core. A club in harmony if you will. 

If we bring in Watkins we got a pretty great English core to work from, and a lot of those already have worked together the last 12 months in the PL. It will be far easier for the next foreign player to come in and impress then it ever was for Nakamba for instance. 

I'm not sure it's just that we've an absolutely terrible record in helping foreign players settle. Angel was pretty much left to deal with a sick infant on his own not speaking the language, it's been a common complaint since. I would hope this is an area we've invested a lot in and now have intermediaries to smooth out life off the pitch for all our expensive assets, looking at how Luiz took time to settle though, Wesley too etc. then who knows....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t really understand the piss taking of Brentford’s pricing or Levy at Spurs driving a hard bargain. It’s the better way of doing things... 🤷‍♂️

Yes and no. You obviously want to play hard ball and get the most for your players, but then you can also get greedy and price people out of buying. It was rumoured Levy could’ve sold Eriksen a yr earlier for a lot more, but put extra demands in place. Same as him buying our Jack, tried to be too cheap and it backfired 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yes and no. You obviously want to play hard ball and get the most for your players, but then you can also get greedy and price people out of buying. It was rumoured Levy could’ve sold Eriksen a yr earlier for a lot more, but put extra demands in place. Same as him buying our Jack, tried to be too cheap and it backfired 

You could say backfired, or that they had a price and wouldn’t pay more than that. Brentford may have a price and not sell for less than that. It’s how things should work, really. 

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I always read this is as "it's a good way of doing it until someone is doing it to my club, and then I don't like it and want them to roll over"

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's definitely not 'far lower' IMO and the sheer number of games and the pace they're played at make it a good proving ground for players. 

The Championship is categorically far weaker than La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. To argue otherwise is akin to saying the Championship isn't far weaker than the Premier League, which, of course, it is. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I disagree. The Championship is a far lower standard of football that the top European leagues. Players coming from top leagues are at least proven/used to playing at the top level. They're often cheaper as well

I’m not saying it’s my personal opinion. Just that some of the championship’s better players could be seen as good enough without having to upend their lives and move abroad. Which in itself is part of the gamble when signing players from abroad.

34 minutes ago, pete101 said:

West ham walked away from them when tried fleece them for Hogan , lucky for them someone else was willing to pay 😬

Looking back I was pleased at the time as well 🤦‍♂️🤯

2 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

The Championship is categorically far weaker than La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga. To argue otherwise is akin to saying the Championship isn't far weaker than the Premier League, which, of course, it is. 

There was a feeling amongst us the year we got promoted That there was not a great deal of difference between the bottom six In the premiership and the top six in the championship. That was very quickly put to bed last year

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

It definitely is, but it’s been good hunting ground for plenty of clubs for a few years now. I know for every Maddison there’s a Jordan Rhodes, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t quality there to be signed.

12 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

It definitely is, but it’s been good hunting ground for plenty of clubs for a few years now. I know for every Maddison there’s a Jordan Rhodes, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t quality there to be signed.

Agreed, but I'd be looking for the odd bargain rather than paying £28m!

17 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I always read this is as "it's a good way of doing it until someone is doing it to my club, and then I don't like it and want them to roll over"

I understand it when it’s a player they’re desperate to hang on to. But when it’s players they’re looking to sell I don’t get it. I understand getting the most you realistically can, but when you start taking the mick, clubs might be inclined to go elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Agreed, but I'd be looking for the odd bargain rather than paying £28m!

I agree, I’d rather us be using the foreign markets more/better. But the point that it might be less of a gamble will inevitably increase the price.