Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

The recruitment team seen to have learnt from their mistakes of bringing in too many foreign-based players this year. All the strong links are for players who are already based in England and can hit the ground running. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

But then Percy works for the Telegraph and he's the only journo we trust.

I was going to admit that bit but it didn't fit what I was saying! 

Yeah I mean Percy does seem to know his stuff. The rest of the paper is on a horrendous windup though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The recruitment team seen to have learnt from their mistakes of bringing in too many foreign-based players this year. All the strong links are for players who are already based in England and can hit the ground running. 

I wish we could do something in between that. Watkins and Cash would be perfectly okey if we spiced it up with 2 from abroad. We cocked it up last year, but there's a balance we need to find. 

Ultimately we won't afford top class PL proven players, so to get that we have to gamble on a well scouted foreign signing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

There's nothing wrong with buying foreign players; we just happened to sign poor foreign players last summer. After each failed transfer window we seem to vacillate between the domestic and foreign markets, as if one is better than the other. We just need to recruit some GOOD players for a change, regardless of where they're from.

I think it's more to it then that. It's just easier to bring in foreign players and get the best out of them when they arrive at a club with a settled English core. A club in harmony if you will. 

If we bring in Watkins we got a pretty great English core to work from, and a lot of those already have worked together the last 12 months in the PL. It will be far easier for the next foreign player to come in and impress then it ever was for Nakamba for instance. 

26 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It’s a bit Martin O’Neil-esque, not bad if can build up that same team spirit.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

the problem is then forcing ourselves into the ridiculously overpriced English market. And then we still don't know if the players will be able to translate from the C'ship to the PL. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s a bit Martin O’Neil-esque, not bad if can build up that same team spirit.  

The difference this time is that while the players linked are all based in England, they’re not all English. The fact that some of them will be getting international experience with their respective countries, as opposed to always being on the fringes of an England squad padded out with players from almost entirely top six sides must not be underestimated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

the problem is then forcing ourselves into the ridiculously overpriced English market. And then we still don't know if the players will be able to translate from the C'ship to the PL. 

I suppose the championship could be considered less of a gamble, even if it is more expensive than the foreign markets.

14 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I suppose the championship could be considered less of a gamble, even if it is more expensive than the foreign markets.

I disagree. The Championship is a far lower standard of football that the top European leagues. Players coming from top leagues are at least proven/used to playing at the top level. They're often cheaper as well

• Like 2