Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would probably be happy with this squad (trying to be realistic)

Heaton

Cash (12m) - Konsa - Mings - Targett

MC (25m?) - Luiz - McGinn

Benrahma or Buendia or Rashica (25m) - Watkins (25m) - Grealish

Squad: Steer, GK [Loan - cover Heaton until fit/competition], Henry (15m), Hause, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, Hourihane, Swift (8m), El Ghazi, Trez, Jota, Wesley, Samatta.

Sell/Release: Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury, Hogan.

Loan: Davis (if signs new contract)

No idea who i would like for the new MC, any thoughts?

thats 110m spent total. (would love Edouard, but just dont see it - i can hope)

Reuben Loftus Cheek

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

For an old sod you’ve still got plenty of impatient teenager in you TRO. 😋

Who was the stellar signing when Ron Saunders built the 1980/81 team? Surely it is always about building a good team. There are lots of examples of teams that are full of big names but don’t get the results that on paper they should. 

Don’t get me wrong a big signing has it’s merits. It creates a buzz about I the club and can have a positive effect on future recruitment. Ultimately though it’s a team game and a good team will, more often than not, beat a group of good individuals, regardless of individual talent levels. 

The way we finished last season and the spirit that the team seems to have at the moment, would suggest that we are building a team. Hopefully will add more quality to that over the coming weeks, without losing the togetherness. 

Dave...I could not agree with you more on all fronts.

The reason i say a stellar signing, is to raise the bar and attract others.....sure it is a team game and your referoence is paramount in my view.

You are right, Ron had modest funds, even in those days, but times was different with agents etc......also with the absence of TV money, gates carried more weight.....clubs don't need the money so much these days.....Ron was good at round pegs in round holes etc and the whole team worked hard, much in the same way Sheff Utd have done.....he bought very prudently and usually second tier players from big clubs and added work rate to them......he made them all better players.

I have a warm feeling Dean has seen a different light since lockdown and will see the result moving forward.....i think we will be more rounded as a team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Like Leicester when they won the title the season after nearly getting relegated the season before or Wolves as soon as they were promoted.  Or even Sheffield United last season.  We already have 4 or 5 really good players, another 4-5 will make all the difference and many of those close losses will turn into wins.   I think people under estimate what the owners want.  Eden's wants and expects Villa to follow a similar growth to the Milwaukee Buck in my opinion.

Yeah I don't see that.  Leicester, Wolves and SU got promoted through direct promotion places, i.e. they had developed and worked on their squads for seasons and were of the 2 best teams in the championships their respective seasons. AVFC got promoted through the play offs, then had a complete tornado running through the club, losing 10-20 players, resigning 10 + players, recently gaining a new manager, new backroom staff, new owners etc. Now this has continued with more additions and replacements, Suso left, new coaches coming in, new players, new academy staff. 

We're a massive work in progress.  Wolves, Leicester and SU had way more stability moving into their first and second season. And Wolves, despite you talking about top 6, didn't finish top 6. Not last season, nor this season. Neither did SU. If the idea is to replicate Leicester's season that's basically a one off in this league the last 100 years, then I suggest you need to get a grip of reality. 

We need to establish ourselves as a solid midtable side before we get thinking of anything like top 6. The suggestion of top 6 alone sounds completely ridiculous. Did you even watch us play last season?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the mistake we made last season was not bringing in any players with decent Prem league experience. I think of the outfield players we brought in Targett was the most experienced with 20 odd Prem league appearances.

The need to bring in players with Prem league experience this season isn't so great simply because last years players have a Prem season behind them now and will be much stronger for it. I think that started to show at the end of the season.

There is a decent core to the team. Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish. Targett also looks good enough to be starting week in week out. I think we therefore need 4 or 5 players to come in to the first 11 better than what we have now and I think we are capable of doing that over the next 5 weeks. If we do I see no reason why we can't kick on and achieve a mid table finish.

If those 4 players were:

Benrahma to replace Trezeguet

Watkins to replace Wesley/Samatta

Rashica to replace El Ghazi

Cash to replace Guilbert

Swift to replace Lansbury on bench

Do you think that would be the kind of improvement to move us up the table? 

Judging by what I've seen I think that the wings would be massively improved upon. Not certain about Cash and Watkins improving their positions though. The invisible man would be an improvement on Lansbury. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would probably be happy with this squad (trying to be realistic)

Heaton

Cash (12m) - Konsa - Mings - Targett

MC (25m?) - Luiz - McGinn

Benrahma or Buendia or Rashica (25m) - Watkins (25m) - Grealish

Squad: Steer, GK [Loan - cover Heaton until fit/competition], Henry (15m), Hause, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, Hourihane, Swift (8m), El Ghazi, Trez, Jota, Wesley, Samatta.

Sell/Release: Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury, Hogan.

Loan: Davis (if signs new contract)

No idea who i would like for the new MC, any thoughts?

thats 110m spent total. (would love Edouard, but just dont see it - i can hope)

That’s not a bad squad at all. I’d possibly keep Elmo and/or Taylor as injury cover but we can only have so many in a squad. With that in mind I’d probably lose Jota.

We can of course bulk out the squad with youth players but I don’t know enough to know the positions where we are strong at U23 level. 

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave...I could not agree with you more on all fronts.

The reason i say a stellar signing, is to raise the bar and attract others.....sure it is a team game and your referoence is paramount in my view.

You are right, Ron had modest funds, even in those days, but times was different with agents etc......also with the absence of TV money, gates carried more weight.....clubs don't need the money so much these days.....Ron was good at round pegs in round holes etc and the whole team worked hard, much in the same way Sheff Utd have done.....he bought very prudently and usually second tier players from big clubs and added work rate to them......he made them all better players.

I have a warm feeling Dean has seen a different light since lockdown and will see the result moving forward.....i think we will be more rounded as a team.

Consider this liked. I ran out of likes this morning, but I’m not sure how after only a few likes? Does anyone know the rules/numbers on likes?

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah I don't see that.  Leicester, Wolves and SU got promoted through direct promotion places, i.e. they had developed and worked on their squads for seasons and were of the 2 best teams in the championships their respective seasons. AVFC got promoted through the play offs, then had a complete tornado running through the club, losing 10-20 players, resigning 10 + players, recently gaining a new manager, new backroom staff, new owners etc. Now this has continued with more additions and replacements, Suso left, new coaches coming in, new players, new academy staff. 

We're a massive work in progress.  Wolves, Leicester and SU had way more stability moving into their first and second season. And Wolves, despite you talking about top 6, didn't finish top 6. Not last season, nor this season. Neither did SU. If the idea is to replicate Leicester's season that's basically a one off in this league the last 100 years, then I suggest you need to get a grip of reality. 

We need to establish ourselves as a solid midtable side before we get thinking of anything like top 6. The suggestion of top 6 alone sounds completely ridiculous. Did you even watch us play last season?

We have been trying to improve for years.....we have been WiP for years....the problem has been the personnel in charge have failed to make it happen.

Leicester, Wolves and Sheff Utd have also been WIP they have instances of folk failing.....they only all come good when good decisions were being made by folk with Nous.

Unless the right decisions are made its likely any club will be in constant flux.

for whatever reasons our recruitment of players over some time, has been patchy at best, which has been instrumental in us changing personnel so often.

its is a fair argument to me to say football is dynamic anyway, and a certain amount of WIP will always be in place.......stand still and you go backwards in reallity.

this is not all rocket science....if we get players who do what it says on the tin, we will improve....it really is that simple.......as an example...carry wingers, who don't beat a man or cross the ball enough and we go backwards.....we simply cannot afford passengers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Consider this liked. I ran out of likes this morning, but I’m not sure how after only a few likes? Does anyone know the rules/numbers on likes?

You are a gent, far too compliant.....have a few rows and save them.

just kidding.

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is that realistic though????

Ziyech, Kovacic, mount, pulisic, Gilmour, Kante, Barkley, Jorginho.

how many **** CM’s does a club need. 
 Throw the money at him and say he will be our number 1 CM. Show the ambition that we all want to see. 

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have been trying to improve for years.....we have been WiP for years....the problem has been the personnel in charge have failed to make it happen.

Leicester, Wolves and Sheff Utd have also been WIP they have instances of folk failing.....they only all come good when good decisions were being made by folk with Nous.

Unless the right decisions are made its likely any club will be in constant flux.

for whatever reasons our recruitment of players over some time, has been patchy at best, which has been instrumental in us changing personnel so often.

its is a fair argument to me to say football is dynamic anyway, and a certain amount of WIP will always be in place.......stand still and you go backwards in reallity.

this is not all rocket science....if we get players who do what it says on the tin, we will improve....it really is that simple.......as an example...carry wingers, who don't beat a man or cross the ball enough and we go backwards.....we simply cannot afford passengers.

Disagree on that. Haven't been solid info on here since HH. 😋

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Disagree on that. Haven't been solid info on here since HH. 😋

Are they planning a statue of him close to william McGregor.....they made a similar impact on the club😜

Edited by TRO