Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

Rodrigo is a crap signing. The bloke is 29 and Leeds have spent nearly £30m on a man who's constantly struggling with knee injuries and has scored over 10 goals just once in 6 seasons. 

I'd much rather the 'less ambitious' option of Watkins. 

Equally the less ambitious Watkins may well turn out to be another Che Adams or Hogan? Our record in signing players from the championship is hardly inspiring. With respect Rodrigo is not a crap signing - I think there needs to be a balance struck. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Was watching John Swift against Spurs today. Didn't look out of place at all against PL opposition. His teammates looked a bit flustered early on and couldn't cope with Spurs' manic press but he was calm and collected. Quick thinking and quick feet. Almost the complete opposite to Hourihane who I imagine he'd be replacing. But just like Hourihane he offers almost nothing with respect to protecting the defence, but to be fair he does look to be more of an attacking midfielder. He also takes a mean set piece and has a good cross in him. I wouldn't be against signing him at all for £8m or whatever it is. I want to improve our first XI as much as the next man but I wouldn't be against upgrading or squad options too.

This is my worry with Swift (having only seen YT clips of him).

He looks a silky player and would no doubt add to our creative options and give us cover in that dept if Jack gets injured. However can he play a role defensively. Conor showed last year he can impact game going forward in the Prem. But he also showed against decent  sides he was way off it defensively. Not getting within reach to make a tackle. You need to be a real athlete to break up play as a CM in the PL now and I wonder if Swift is that. I have no idea. But having seen the difficulties Conor had this year I’m sure it’s something the club will have considered.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s the same every summer.

The first couple of weeks are full of hype, optimism and manic madness. The next couple of weeks when still waiting for signings are all doom, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then a few signings are made and it’s back to lofty heights of optimism, until the first game of the season when we are brought crashing back down to reality. 

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Probably the most accurate post ever written on VT. 

• Like 2

Not surprisingly I can understand both sides, on the one hand I think Watkins, Cash, and Swift, are good players and would improve our first eleven, but on the other hand I can see why people would prefer it if we signed players with more experience at an higher level than the championship, I mean if we were to just sign Watkins, Cash, Swift and say Benrahama, then half of our team would essentially be that of a newly promoted team.

A mixture of the two would be nice, one or two from the champo that can obvioiusly make the step up, and a few with a bit of experience and know how at an higher level.

• Like 1

Speaking to a couple of Arsenal mates last night and they rate Martinez highly and wanted him as their number one this season, he would be a great addition for us.

Percy has said Watkins will most likely be done this coming week, so with Cash that will be two through the door, still over a month before the window slams shut, I think we should wait until then before fans start getting mad at the owners, Lange, Purslow, Smith etc 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Looks like the odds of Jack to United are coming in a bit unfortunately.

If we were to lose him, would anyone take £50-60m plus Dean Henderson?

He's just signed a new 5 year deal at something like £150k a week, he also wants to challenge for the number 1 spot. If United are offloading a keeper it would be Romero, but to answer your question, no take the cash and use it best we can on some replacements. My preference of course would be to retain him obviously. 

Edited by Tez500
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Enda said:

I don't want to be harsh here, but are you really saying a summer where we sign every single one of

Watkins, Edouard, Rashica, Benrahma, Swift, Cash, and Butland

would be "a total failure" just because we didn't sign Rico Henry as well?

Come on @thunderball, get a grip pal. Less of the hyperbole?

It’s a wind up

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Watkins, Cash and Swift are better than Davis (and Samatta), Elmo (due to age) and Lansbury who are all currently relied upon on match days. 

these three would undoubtedly improve the squad but maybe not the first team per se immediately (although all three have the potential to do so)

get these three over the line and signed and then focus on the big fish, such as Raschica, Edouard and Buendia 

Just spitballing here. Don't think we'll get all of these, I think we'll probably go into the season with Jack on the left unless we sell some players.           

Edouard

Rashica                          Buendia/Sarr

Grealish.    McGinn

Luiz

Targett    Mings     Konsa   Guilbert

Heaton

Subs: Steer, Engels, Cash, Swift, El Ghazi, Watkins, Trezeguet, Taylor (Henry?), Nakamba

Look how much stronger our bench looks though. Not a Lansbury or Drinkwater in sight.

• Like 3

Been notable so far that we haven’t really been linked to a single realistic RW. Of course the likes of Rashica and Watkins can play there but it isn’t where they’ve had success so far. People keep mentioning Buendia but there haven’t been any serious links to him from what I’ve seen. 

I think that’s surprising given for me along with striker it’s the weakest position in our team. Is the club just keeping links we’ll under wraps or is a role we aren’t looking at? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

FFS ....hardly serious! Railing against the general fan base expectation.

I just want 3 decent forwards.

My apologies - it's kinda hard to differentiate given some of the things that have been posted lately! A testament to your satire, perhaps?

• Like 1

One thing to note about the reported knock back from Tammy is the willingness to drop at least £50 million (minimum I think he’d cost) on a striker, in addition to Watkins. 

That sort of money opens up options for some Real quality players in Europe.

Mates a season ticket holder at Forest - he said he would be gutted to see Cash go, said he has all the attributes to play at Premier league level. Only played this season at RB converted from winger so obviously very attack minded. He said he's not at top level though as a winger. To be fair it's pretty much what I thought from the games I've seen of him on TV. If he signs then wish him all the best, should be decent competition for Guilbert but I wouldn't rule out Elmo leaving tbh. Would've preferred Aarons but guessing he may be out of our range.

As for Swift, have mentioned him previously, I think some will be pleasantly surprised, ok not a 'marquee' signing but a player with good potential, good on the ball, skilful, good set piece delivery, eye for goal and 8 to 12 million would be a great price. Get him in and Lansbury out and it's decent business.

Definitely don't want to be signing all Championship players though and it's a little frustrating that no one has come in yet but I would be amazed if by this time next week we haven't got 2 of 3 in the bag ✍

• Like 1