Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

21 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Your not allowed to have that kind of opinion on here anymore..the happy clappy brigade wont stand for it

Got anymore updates on your ITK of Watkins signing a week and a half ago? Admitting you made it up is fine too. 

• Like 2

If our summer signings are to be Cash (£12m), Watkins (£25m), Edouard (£30m), Rashica or Benrahma (£25m) and Martinez (loan) that's not too shabby.

I think we also need to look abroad at the loan market for a LB, CB and CM though.

I feel like we need squad options in these areas but will only buy one of them.

• Like 2

Interesting article.

Just to recap over last few years Leicester have signed Jonny Evans, Kelechi Iheanacho, Soyuncu, Youri Tielemans, Ricardo Pereira and James Maddison.

From those six names Maddison sticks out as the young prospect from the championship, all the others were experienced international players and signed from premier league or other decent leagues.

I honestly think that's where we're going wrong. If we sign six players this summer probably 4 will be from championship or other lower tier leagues and at best we'll get one experienced head in.

Don't want to go over what Wolves have signed again but again vast majority of their signings are experienced international players and then they add an Adama type to complete the set as more of a long term development and he's obviously come on a fair amount in last 12 months.

I don't see us finishing above Wolves or Leicester anytime soon until we really improve the quality of first 11 so McGinn will remain frustrated for a while longer.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Your not allowed to have that kind of opinion on here anymore..the happy clappy brigade wont stand for it

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Got anymore updates on your ITK of Watkins signing a week and a half ago? Admitting you made it up is fine too. 

ricky gervais laughing GIF

Play a record.

1 minute ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

ricky gervais laughing GIF

Play a record.

I'm as anxious as anyone for us to sign someone and getting twitchy as ****.

Just find it funny that a grown man who contributes to the hysteria by making up inside knowledge gets on his high horse about others opinions.

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The info i had said he signed last week..and that was coming straight from his "Agent" he has two.

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

The info i had said he signed last week..and that was coming straight from his "Agent" he has two.

Ok, well he didn't sign last week. Either you made it up or his agent made it up and told you. 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'll spend money just like  we did last summer. However it's starting to feel like to me we're going to be spending the 80-100m on pretty much every signing as young, lack of top flight experience and just potential.

If we're signing 6 players this summer I have no issue with 3 of them being of that ilk but the other 3 need to be far more proven in a decent league and also a regular for decent international standard team.

That's if we want to be a decent top half team again in the near future anyway. If we're all happy finishing 16-17th for the next 5 years then crack on with what we're doing.

What would get us in the top half imo:

Watkins

Rondon (season long loan)

Rashica

Glik (already signed for Benvento but that sort of experienced CB)

Seamus Coleman

5 signings there that really improve our starting 11. You'd get them for about 60m aswell but for a couple convincing them to come isn't easy as we're seeing with Rashica.

Rondon is on mega money in China, won’t come here. Very decent player though, would be a weapon.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm as anxious as anyone for us to sign someone and getting twitchy as ****.

Just find it funny that a grown man who contributes to the hysteria by making up inside knowledge gets on his high horse about others opinions.

Its your opinion and thats fine..im glad you find it funny and it gave you a laugh..sounds like you needed one

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Ok, well he didn't sign last week. Either you made it up or his agent made it up and told you. 🤔

How do you know if he did or not..Its not beyond the realm of possibility he signed and brentford wanted to wait with announcing it incase it drove up the price of toney..villa releasing info that they were "frustrated" at brentford was all a smoke screen in my opinion

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If our summer signings are to be Cash (£12m), Watkins (£25m), Edouard (£30m), Rashica or Benrahma (£25m) and Martinez (loan) that's not too shabby.

I think we also need to look abroad at the loan market for a LB, CB and CM though.

I feel like we need squad options in these areas but will only buy one of them.

For me anything less than:

Watkins AND Edouard

Rashica AND Benrahma

John Swift

Cash AND Henry

Butland or Martinez

will be a total failure

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

For me anything less than:

Watkins AND Edouard

Rashica AND Benrahma

John Swift

Cash AND Henry

Butland or Martinez

will be a total failure

🤣 An absolute clownshoe of a post if serious

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

How do you know if he did or not..Its not beyond the realm of possibility he signed and brentford wanted to wait with announcing it incase it drove up the price of toney..villa releasing info that they were "frustrated" at brentford was all a smoke screen in my opinion

Wait what he's already signed? Or he hasn't? Wtf is he Schrodinger's forward?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting article.

Just to recap over last few years Leicester have signed Jonny Evans, Kelechi Iheanacho, Soyuncu, Youri Tielemans, Ricardo Pereira and James Maddison.

From those six names Maddison sticks out as the young prospect from the championship, all the others were experienced international players and signed from premier league or other decent leagues.

I honestly think that's where we're going wrong. If we sign six players this summer probably 4 will be from championship or other lower tier leagues and at best we'll get one experienced head in.

Don't want to go over what Wolves have signed again but again vast majority of their signings are experienced international players and then they add an Adama type to complete the set as more of a long term development and he's obviously come on a fair amount in last 12 months.

I don't see us finishing above Wolves or Leicester anytime soon until we really improve the quality of first 11 so McGinn will remain frustrated for a while longer.

You're looking at Leicester during the wrong time period. You need to look at them during the 2 year's before they won the Prem. That's where we are.  Actually they were better off than us.  They at least came up from the championship with an actual squad.

In those windows before the league title, look at who they bought, not a single proven international amongst them. Getting those early signings right is what earned them the cache to attract proven internationals from other big clubs in Europe. Gotta walk before you can run. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You're looking at Leicester during the wrong time period. You need to look at them during the 2 year's before they won the Prem. That's where we are.  Actually they were better off than us.  They at least came up from the championship with an actual squad.

In those windows before the league title, look at who they bought, not a single proven international amongst them. Getting those early signings right is what earned them the cache to attract proven internationals from other big clubs in Europe. Gotta walk before you can run. 

They signed Esteban Cambiasso straight after promotion, fair to say he gave them a bit more than Drinkwater did for u as that experienced midfield leader! Didn't Christian Fuchs come in the summer after their great escape, he'd just played in a CL QF for Schalke. Okazaki also came in that summer which is the summer we're now at after our great escape. Albrighton also came in who was pretty experienced in prem with us.

It's true of course with Leicester winning the league massively inflated their profile world wide but after 2016 key players like Mahrez, Kante and ahem Drinkwater all left quickly and they got a couple of managerial appointments after Ranieri wrong. Big money signings like Adrien Silva, Musa and Slimani also flopped. By 2019 they were heading back to the bottom half before they turned things round by sacking Puel and getting in Rodgers and making some smart signings.

Edited by VillaChris

3 things I think we've learned from this window so far, all of which we should have known already tbh:

• ITKs are invariably full of shit and should be either ignored or ridiculed, whichever really. A waste of time and a sad indictment of whoever listens to their nonsense and lends them credence

• Brentford are not going to budge on their valuations, so we need to either put up the money or walk away and go bother someone else's fax machine for a change

• Jack Grealish is still no closer to joining Yanited than he was in January, and this makes everything else tolerable for me 💜

5 hours ago, useless said:

We're bidding for championship players like Cash, Swift and Watkins, who whilst good players you have to question how much they'd really improve us, with such additions I'd still expect us to be heavily embroiled in a relegation battle, meanwhile Leeds have only just been promoted and don't have billionare owners are signing players established in the top leagues like Rodrigo and Koch, even last season as a championship club they signed Augustin, which whilst it hasn't worked out it was an ambitous signing of an high profile player. We're not really showing that we want to be any more than a club that's just happy to survive.

Couldn’t agree more and just when you think we finally might be taking the more ambitious approach we become heavily linked with players who are relatively unknown and from the divisions below. I hope we sign the 5 quality players i expect on top off the guys that are linked such as matty cash and john swift .. I've never heard of either of them if they were that good I definitely would have heard of their names regardless of whether i watch that league or not. Im disappointed and that’s building up from not bidding for Mckennie early enough while we had the opportunity and then Juventus come flying in and we were never going to win any negotiations after a club like that come into the frame