Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

28 minutes ago, est1874 said:

3 things I think we've learned from this window so far, all of which we should have known already tbh:

• ITKs are invariably full of shit and should be either ignored or ridiculed, whichever really. A waste of time and a sad indictment of whoever listens to their nonsense and lends them credence

• Brentford are not going to budge on their valuations, so we need to either put up the money or walk away and go bother someone else's fax machine for a change

• Jack Grealish is still no closer to joining Yanited than he was in January, and this makes everything else tolerable for me 💜

It’s not true though. Most ITK’s are full of shit, some aren’t. The trouble is knowing which ones.

None of us know what Brentford or any other club value their players at.

We also know nothing about the inner workings of United and what players they’re closer to signing.

As much as I lean towards your thinking myself, the truth is we actually KNOW very little.

Just seen that Swift played for Reading yesterday (Friday evening) against Spurs in a friendly, so I doubt a move to us is as close as those who are claiming that we've had a bid accepted are making out, no way would Reading risk him getting injured. Incidentally the first half of that game is on youtube.

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Rodrigo is a crap signing. The bloke is 29 and Leeds have spent nearly £30m on a man who's constantly struggling with knee injuries and has scored over 10 goals just once in 6 seasons. 

I'd much rather the 'less ambitious' option of Watkins. 

I talked to a friend of mine about the signing, as he is of Spanish heritage and watches more La Liga than any other league. He says Rodrigo suffered for being on a bad team the last few years, but that time and injury haven't helped him much, either. Says he's still capable of being a creator but he was also surprised to see Bielsa -- whom he has a lot of respect for -- making such a move. 

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

For me anything less than:

Watkins AND Edouard

Rashica AND Benrahma

John Swift

Cash AND Henry

Butland or Martinez

will be a total failure

I don't want to be harsh here, but are you really saying a summer where we sign every single one of

Watkins, Edouard, Rashica, Benrahma, Swift, Cash, and Butland

would be "a total failure" just because we didn't sign Rico Henry as well?

Come on @thunderball, get a grip pal. Less of the hyperbole?

• Like 2

Probably not what we need right now, but Atalanta look like they're signing Aleksey Miranchuk for about £13m.

Loads and loads of value out there.

Really easy to not buy bad players.

Less easy to not overpay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t see a situation where Smith wouldn’t be interested in Rico Henry. If he’s available for around 10m, we’ll be in the mix. 

I don’t get the love affair of some with this guy but he’s got to be better than Taylor not to mention much younger.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Come on it's not that difficult if you scout well or seen as club on the up. Leicester signed Youri Tielemans when they were about 12th in January 2019. Leeds signed a first choice La Liga striker yesterday. Fulham got in Mitrovic when they were a championship club.

We will sign players but as it stands looks like another season for gambling on majority of signings being lower league punts, the thought of Watkins being out sole attacking signing seems like madness to me.

If you look back last summer our two best signings were Tom Heaton (over 100 starts in premier league for Burnley) and Douglas Luiz who'd featured in about 30 games for Girona in La Liga with many of them being starts.

Surely we should be focusing on getting in more regulars from the top 4 leagues rather than thinking Belgium or the championship are the answer all the time.

I see what you mean but maybe Smith isn’t comfortable with signings like that after last season (A huge turnover) or he just can’t attract them, who knows. I think there was something in our interest in Trippier but why would he come here? Hence Cash who I don’t think was first choice in my opinion. I do agree though, we need to be more ambitious. As another poster said Cash, Watkins and Swift would be the best part of around £75m.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t see a situation where Smith wouldn’t be interested in Rico Henry. If he’s available for around 10m, we’ll be in the mix. 

Actually the one who’s impressed me the most post lockdown. At 10m he’s 100% better than Taylor, so it’s an immediate improvement.

50 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I see what you mean but maybe Smith isn’t comfortable with signings like that after last season (A huge turnover) or he just can’t attract them, who knows. I think there was something in our interest in Trippier but why would he come here? Hence Cash who I don’t think was first choice in my opinion. I do agree though, we need to be more ambitious. As another poster said Cash, Watkins and Swift would be the best part of around £75m.. 

Those three are 40m not 75m!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

And come next year you’d be the first to comment saying we overpaid for everyone

Maybe. Now though is not the time to be arsing around being stingy. I'd make us one of the favourites to go down again if not the favourites. It's less than a month to season starts. We need to get a move on.

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

Rodrigo is a crap signing. The bloke is 29 and Leeds have spent nearly £30m on a man who's constantly struggling with knee injuries and has scored over 10 goals just once in 6 seasons. 

I'd much rather the 'less ambitious' option of Watkins. 

He is more than a goalscorer, baller when on form. Good signing for Leeds albeit on expensive one.

They have a sub par squad. He is a massive upgrade. 

They are getting business done whilst we are pissing about with bids that wont even be considered.

Edit : He played 51 games season before last. 17 in Europe the last 2 years.

As if we wouldn't be wanking ourselves silly if we had signed him.

We're nowhere in the market. Nowhere. 

Edited by rodders0223

I'm more than happy with links to Cash and Henry if that means the majority of our budget is spent on high quality additions in the attacking third. Would really like to see us make a huge push for Tammy (unlikely) or Odouard (possible but will have competition) as well as some quality wingers. Rashica would seem to give us the pace we need, if that happens, and I'm still really keen on Emi Buendia, very surprised no one has moved for him yet.

I am less convinced about the links to Watkins and Swift but Watkins has just won Championship player of the season and Swift woukd be cheap.

Was watching John Swift against Spurs today. Didn't look out of place at all against PL opposition. His teammates looked a bit flustered early on and couldn't cope with Spurs' manic press but he was calm and collected. Quick thinking and quick feet. Almost the complete opposite to Hourihane who I imagine he'd be replacing. But just like Hourihane he offers almost nothing with respect to protecting the defence, but to be fair he does look to be more of an attacking midfielder. He also takes a mean set piece and has a good cross in him. I wouldn't be against signing him at all for £8m or whatever it is. I want to improve our first XI as much as the next man but I wouldn't be against upgrading or squad options too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Was watching John Swift against Spurs today. Didn't look out of place at all against PL opposition. His teammates looked a bit flustered early on and couldn't cope with Spurs' manic press but he was calm and collected. Quick thinking and quick feet. Almost the complete opposite to Hourihane who I imagine he'd be replacing. But just like Hourihane he offers almost nothing with respect to protecting the defence, but to be fair he does look to be more of an attacking midfielder. He also takes a mean set piece and has a good cross in him. I wouldn't be against signing him at all for £8m or whatever it is. I want to improve our first XI as much as the next man but I wouldn't be against upgrading or squad options too.

Squad options are going to be especially important as the PL are apparently going to the 5 subs rule to the revote in September 3rd. Big 6 weren’t happy they lost.