Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Matt Cash? Massive 'meh'. Is he better than Guilbert?  I'm not convinced.  Better than Elmo, probably.  Worth 15m considering how poor we are on the wing and up front?  Not a chance.  This is not a signing that will take us away from relegation at all.

John Swift, not even close to as good as Luiz and McGinn, and I mean not even close.  Better than Lansbury, sure, but better than Hourihane and Nakamba? Not convinced at all.

Another player that will not move us away from relegation candidates and massively underwhelming.

If the links to these two and the likes of Watkins are the best we have to look forward to this window, then i'm afraid there are huge issues at b6, as these signings will not take us into mid table safety never mind top 10.

Negligible squad upgrades at best, with almost no improvement on the starting 11.  No good enough, and will leave us fighting relegation again.

Totally agree the signings don’t materially improve the first team.

Id also agree that the direction of travel points towards - as you say - Watkins, maybe Benrahma, are the best we can hope for.

Ie Edouard and Rashica could be total fantasy signings.

Can we send Lansbury back as part of the Cash deal? Welcome to our other reserves such as Nyland, Kalinic, Jota & Hogan too.

Same with Swift & Reading. Might be an opportunity to offload some of these guys but wages will obviously be an obstacle.

We need to be patient and not judge our overall transfer activity too soon, we have no idea what deals are being worked on & which players are being targeted. I’m sure we will make one or two “statement signings” and will be bringing a fair few players in.

The whole squad needs enhancing and, as long as we have the funds to do so, we should take advantage of any opportunity to do that.

I would be delighted with Martinez, we need a good keeper we can rely on for the long term...

Edited by Jas10

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not opposed to signing players from the championship.....but they must be targetted and that means an understanding they will make us better.

If its a case of just shopping there, because we have to......that worries me.

I think there is a legitimate claim, that if you keep shopping there , you are preparing to return there.

I Have so far seen nothing to match the rhetoric from the club, that we have ambition....we need to demonstrate this, not just claim it.

We need at least one signing of intent on that ambition.....so far it seems more likely we will relinquish the one player of intent we have....we have to change the perception of us.

This. Plus as we went through in the Watkins thread, our track record of signing from Championship clubs is awful. Who out of our best 11 did we sign from a Championship club? Not "was playing in the Championship" or "we were in the Championship" but came to us from a Championship club and we think is worth starting this season? Konsa?

Not a great return on all the Championship players we have recruited the past few years. We need to shop from high quality markets and clubs for our must have signings and use the lower league Championship punts on players we can afford to fail.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not a scout.......and i don't have to be to recognise the significance of the claim.

Your claim is flawed, because you assume that Villa hasn't signed a marquee signing yet, they they ain't looking for one. So far Villa have been linked with Mckinnie,  Rashica, Tippier, Edouard, Origi, Iheanacho 

Some are unrealistic and unattainable, But we've been close to getting others. 

We not just looking in the £1 shop, we are also looking at waitrose  

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

Your claim is flawed, because you assume that Villa hasn't signed a marquee signing yet, they they ain't looking for one. So far Villa have been linked with Mckinnie,  Rashica, Tippier, Edouard, Origi, Iheanacho 

Fair. Rashica and Edouard in particular are the caliber of players I think we should be looking at. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

Totally agree the signings don’t materially improve the first team.

Id also agree that the direction of travel points towards - as you say - Watkins, maybe Benrahma, are the best we can hope for.

Ie Edouard and Rashica could be total fantasy signings.

Benrahma at least is much better than Trez and AEG, he may not be PL quality, but is better than those two.  I would not, however, spend 25-30m on him, as there are much better players out there in that price range.

My issue is with spending decent amounts of money on players that will have little impact on the first 11, in Swift and Cash, when our focus should be 9n players to impact the first team.

Yeah, transfers don't happen in order of priority, but those 2 offer so little that it seems impossibly naeive that we could not have signed someone who could improve our first 11 by now.  It really feels like we have another relegation season ahead to me based on 90% of thelinks to date, with nothing to suggest we are going to do anything in line with our stated lofty ambitions.

Its time for these new, rich, owners to put up or shut up.  So far its all lip service and no action.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Fair. Rashica and Edouard in particular are the caliber of players I think we should be looking at. 

We probably have - but they either aren't interested or are out of our price range.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Benrahma at least is much better than Trez and AEG, he may not be PL quality, but is better than those two.  I would not, however, spend 25-30m on him, as there are much better players out there in that price range.

My issue is with spending decent amounts of money on players that will have little impact on the first 11, in Swift and Cash, when our focus should be 9n players to impact the first team.

Yeah, transfers don't happen in order of priority, but those 2 offer so little that it seems impossibly naeive that we could not have signed someone who could improve our first 11 by now.  It really feels like we have another relegation season ahead to me based on 90% of thelinks to date, with nothing to suggest we are going to do anything in line with our stated lofty ambitions.

Its time for these new, rich, owners to put up or shut up.  So far its all lip service and no action.

Agreed, I’d go as far as to say Benrahma is miles better than Trez and would definitely improve the first team. Same with Watkins.

Just now, rayk said:

Agreed, I’d go as far as to say Benrahma is miles better than Trez and would definitely improve the first team. Same with Watkins.

If Wes was fit, i'd play him over Watkins.  I don't see much between watkins and davis tbh, just one is a goalscorer and one is a defensive forward.  Watkins is another squad filler rather than a starter imho

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

If Wes was fit, i'd play him over Watkins.  I don't see much between watkins and davis tbh, just one is a goalscorer and one is a defensive forward.  Watkins is another squad filler rather than a starter imho

That's one hell of a difference though, right there! 

FWIW, I don't expect Wesley to be fit for the start of the season, so Watkins would certainly get starts to begin with. 

I also think Davis will be offloaded once we bring new players in. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I don't want to know about the balls that hit the post.....I want to know about the balls that hit the back of the net.

I don't assume anything....if the signing is not made, we haven't not done anything, sorry for being so direct.

unrealistic and unattainable is a matter of opinion, close to getting who?........we got John Carew once upon a time, that to me was unrealistic or unattainable, but we did it.....we signed Luc nilis too, another top European player.

Me or you have no idea, where we are looking, because all the rumours are being quashed, gradually.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Huh? I’m just saying Jacob Ramsey is a prospect that shouldn’t be blocked by Championship level squad players.

So good Championship players aren’t good enough but young players like Ramsey should be used instead? These lads will be brought on progressively and won’t be thrown in or put under pressure by being relied upon. Players like Cash are more advanced on the ladder, they will be more senior members of the squad and as such will help in the younger players development, that’s how these things work. 

People who seem to think that we can find good value in the PL but not in the Championship baffle me. Players of good quality that have already done well in the PL will have starting prices that are at least 50% more than we’d be paying for up and coming Championship players. Up and coming is exactly what we are at the moment and so that will, to a large extent, be the type of player we’re looking at. It’s clear that we’re trying to build a squad and a culture that can grow together throughout the club. This will take some time but the big changes to the backroom staff mark a definite change in the way we are now going to operate. 

Before  FFP wealthy owners could just throw money at a club like Man City did. Wealthy owners are still a desirable thing but if they bring strong business acumen with them that is even better. Leicester is a fine example and although we all like to say that Chelsea have done it all with money, they have also build a very strong club. It’s important that if or when our ownership changes again that they leave a strong legacy and a progressive, sustainable club, not just the play thing of wealthy men that’s left high and dry. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

This is a player we are proposing to be paying £25 mill for.......and how much would we expect for Davies, if we had him up for sale.

We went down this road of goals for, when we signed Guy Whittingham, when the artist was Paul Walsh.......we went down the same road with Tony Cascarino, when his partner Teddy Sheringham was the artist......will we ever learn?

He might be ok....but 25 mill......I wouldn't put my name to it.