Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

One thing to note about the reported knock back from Tammy is the willingness to drop at least £50 million (minimum I think he’d cost) on a striker, in addition to Watkins. 

That sort of money opens up options for some Real quality players in Europe.

We are obviously playing our cards very close to our chest but it does suggest the owners are very serious about making a big step forward next season and competing for top six.  Maybe we do have 150m to spend knowing that Jack will likely leave if not this season then next?  If he stays it is because we finished 5-8 and have a big increase in revenue which can fund the spend?

13 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

We are obviously playing our cards very close to our chest but it does suggest the owners are very serious about making a big step forward next season and competing for top six.  Maybe we do have 150m to spend knowing that Jack will likely leave if not this season then next?  If he stays it is because we finished 5-8 and have a big increase in revenue which can fund the spend?

Top six ?

what of? ......The fair play league.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Top six ?

I think that is the stated objectives of the owners.  Maybe not get there but definitely compete there sooner rather than later.  If we did spend £150m well on 5-6 players I don't think we will be far off.

Edited by MJ_1874
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I do. 

First we establish ourselves in the league over several seasons. Then we establish ourselves in midtable, THEN you go thinking about top 6. 

Like Leicester when they won the title the season after nearly getting relegated the season before or Wolves as soon as they were promoted.  Or even Sheffield United last season.  We already have 4 or 5 really good players, another 4-5 will make all the difference and many of those close losses will turn into wins.   I think people under estimate what the owners want.  Eden's wants and expects Villa to follow a similar growth to the Milwaukee Buck in my opinion.

Edited by MJ_1874
  • Like 2

Our aim for next season should be establishing ourselves in midtable, the money we've spent and are spending that shouldn't take several seasons to come about, you don't spend hundreds of millions of pounds to in a relegation battle year after year. Smith himself has said next season won't be like last season and the owners have said on several occasions that the ultimate aim is for us to be at the top end of the premier league and competing in Europe.

I think there's going to be more pressure on Smith this coming season, more will be expected of him, hopefully he can deliver as that will mean we will be doing well.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

If we’re going for year-on-year progression at the same rate then the target really is 9th-10th for this season.

That would be excellent progression imo, after that it’s a place by place scrap to claw upwards against some very good sides. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

If we’re going for year-on-year progression at the same rate then the target really is 9th-10th for this season.

That would be excellent progression imo, after that it’s a place by place scrap to claw upwards against some very good sides. 

I think you're probably right, the minimum expectation is probably top 10 if we spend a lot of money.

“Wes Edens private-messaged a lot of us after West Ham to say congratulations.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.

“He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on.

“The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football.

The Sun

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Like Leicester when they won the title the season after nearly getting relegated the season before or Wolves as soon as they were promoted.  Or even Sheffield United last season.  We already have 4 or 5 really good players, another 4-5 will make all the difference and many of those close losses will turn into wins.   I think people under estimate what the owners want.  Eden's wants and expects Villa to follow a similar growth to the Milwaukee Buck in my opinion.

That could be so...but its getting those really good players, one would be nice, for starters.

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I do. 

First we establish ourselves in the league over several seasons. Then we establish ourselves in midtable, THEN you go thinking about top 6. 

Yep. Anyone thinking this won't be another relegation battle are full of themselves.

Midtable would be overachieving this season. It's too early still. Too many holes in the team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

“Wes Edens private-messaged a lot of us after West Ham to say congratulations.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.

“He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on.

“The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football.

The Sun

Words are one thing, no matter how encouraging......we need to turn it in to action.....I'm sure we will.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

Just seen that Swift played for Reading yesterday (Friday evening) against Spurs in a friendly, so I doubt a move to us is as close as those who are claiming that we've had a bid accepted are making out, no way would Reading risk him getting injured. Incidentally the first half of that game is on youtube.

If I didn’t want to sell him I’d risk it.

5 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I see what you mean but maybe Smith isn’t comfortable with signings like that after last season (A huge turnover) or he just can’t attract them, who knows. I think there was something in our interest in Trippier but why would he come here? Hence Cash who I don’t think was first choice in my opinion. I do agree though, we need to be more ambitious. As another poster said Cash, Watkins and Swift would be the best part of around £75m.. 

your right smith can't attract them

15 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Then Edens needs to back it up. Signing players like watkins and cash will improve us but if they truly want us to to jump to top 6 next year then it's not enough. 

I think our owners will be more realistic, they'll want us clear of any relegation worries next year and then push on from there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. Anyone thinking this won't be another relegation battle are full of themselves.

Midtable would be overachieving this season. It's too early still. Too many holes in the team.

Totally depends on who we sign, if it’s Watkins, Swift and Cash the I agree but the owners as mentioned above seemed like they wanted more so I’m still hopeful of better quality additional to lesser players coming in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Then Edens needs to back it up. Signing players like watkins and cash will improve us but if they truly want us to to jump to top 6 next year then it's not enough. 

I think our owners will be more realistic, they'll want us clear of any relegation worries next year and then push on from there. 

That seems lower than what they were indicating but I guess we’ll see by October what their ambitions are. A bit depressing seeing current links of cash, swift and co

• Like 1